Title: Meant To Be
Part: 14/18

"Wow." Buffy said breathlessly when Spike uncovered her eyes. The back room of the Bronze was glittering with dozens of candles. Soft music playing in the background. There was a table off to the side that held a small cake and a few neatly wrapped presents.

"You like?" Spike asked her nervously.

"This is... wow." She hugged him tightly. "This is amazing. Thank you."

"I just wanted to make this perfect for you. Especially after what happened earlier."

"Hey, it's so forgotten already."

"Care to dance, Sweetheart?"

"I'd love to."

Spike helped her out of her coat, tossing it onto the table. He did the same with his before wrapping his arms around Buffy's waist, drawing her tightly to him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Giles lay in his bed, going over and over what his Slayer had told him earlier.

Jenny walked up to his bedroom and sat on the edge of his bed. "How are you feeling, Rupert?"

"Like I've failed completely as Buffy's Watcher." He sighed.

"Rupert, I know you're upset, but she cares for him."

"Good God, Woman, do you not remember Parent-Teacher night? He was out for her blood. He may still be. Angel said that once Spike starts something, he doesn't stop."

"You don't trust Buffy's judgment?"

"I-I can't. She's been far too brash since the very day I met her. She doesn't think things through." He sat up, rubbing his head. "Spike is a soulless killer. There is no way whatever that he truly cares for her."

"You're not going to do anything, are you?"

"I have to. It is my duty to see that she does hers. This... thing she imagine she feels for Spike, it has to end."

"Rupert, there may be another way." Jenny said after a long moment while he frantically searched his bedroom for various weapons.

He looked up at her. "What is it?"

"There's a lot I haven't told you about me." She said with a heavy sigh before telling him the truth. That she was descended from the gypsies that had cursed Angelus. Her duty to watch Angel to make sure he was still suffering for the crimes against the beloved child of the tribe. The soul curse she had, but was still working on translating it.

"I have all the ingredients and items needed... I just need to translate it so it can be read."

"Why didn't you ever tell me?"

"I wanted to tell you so many times, Rupert. I was never supposed to tell you. I was only supposed to be in Sunnydale to complete my mission. I'm so sorry I kept it all from you."

He took her hand in his for an instant. "I understand, Jenny. I'm glad you've told me now."

"I could go to the school, if you'd like, and work on the translation. Maybe Spike doesn't care about Buffy, but killing him would destroy her. You didn't see how she talked about him."

Giles sighed. "Yes. Perhaps that would be for the best." But he gathered some of his favorite weapons just to be on the safe side.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Buffy and Spike had danced for about twenty minutes, before he asked her if she wanted to start on the cake or presents first.

"Hummm... tough one. How 'bout you feed me cake while I open presents?"

"Greedy."

"It's my birthday. I'm allowed." She smiled a cheeky grin.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"This doesn't seem like such a good idea." Willow murmured nervously as she, Oz, Xander and Cordelia piled into Oz's van. "We should just leave them alone for right now. I mean, it's her birthday. Couldn't we be all... intervention-y tomorrow just as good as today?"

"It's Spike! Evilest of the evil undead!" Xander cried, outraged that his very best friend had not told him about Buffy and Spike sooner.

Willow sunk deep into her seat. She'd betrayed Buffy. She'd betrayed Xander. But, she couldn't help feel worried for Buffy. Spike... he really did seem to care about her. How many soulless vampires went and got butchers blood when there were billions of nummy treats walking around the streets just ripe for the plucking? None but Spike, probably.

Maybe if she could find a way to warn Buffy... at least she'd be prepared. The wheels in Willows brain churned quickly... they were only five minutes from the Bronze.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Bloody Hell." Spike groaned, looking underneath the table.

"What?" Buffy was happily munching on cake, with her gifts from Spike on her lap. She had wanted to put on the pretty bracelet that had her birthstone seemingly laced between the chain links but couldn't do it herself because she didn't know how to clasp it.

"There's a present missing."

"Maybe it's still at your house? I'm okay with going there right now."

Spike looked up at her grinning. "M'sure you are, Luv. But, I'd like to find it. It was very hard to have made."

"Oooh. Specially made presents. I knew I loved you for a reason." Spike chuckled before resuming his search.

Buffy got up from her perch on the table and left Spike, who was cursing under his breath while he looked for her missing gift. She walked into the main room of the Bronze. It was nice being in there while it was empty and she wasn't fighting some evil nasty.

She wandered from table to table. She wondered if maybe it'd been left out here somewhere. She was really dying to know what it was. He had made it sound like it was the best present out of all the wonderful gifts he'd gotten her.

"Ah-Ha." At a booth in the corner, a small package was underneath the table. She picked it up and started unwrapping it. She didn't hear the door adjoining the room she was in and the one Spike was in shut.

She opened the box, once the wrapping paper was all off. She frowned when she pulled out a small doll. Dressed in an old-fashioned gown, it had thick curls for hair and a blindfold covering it's eyes. Funny how all of Spike's other gifts seemed to show how well he knew her. The doll was, well, slightly of the creepy.

There was a little note-card attached to the dolls dress. Buffy lifted it closer and tried to make out the writing in the dark.

"Don't look behind you."

Buffy snorted. Well, if that wasn't a really bad homage to cheesy teen horror flicks, she didn't know what was.

"Spike," She called. "This is so lame." Holding the doll, she turned around.

"Didn't you read the instructions? Naughty girl. There'll be no dessert for that." Drusilla tsked.

Buffy jumped back, dropping the doll.

"You've hurt Miss Edith. Whatever did she do to you?" Drusilla vamped, growling as she picked up the doll and pet her hair.

"What do you want?" She turned her head to see what is she could use anything as a weapon. Well, if push came to shove, she could break a chair or something.

"You have something that belongs to me."

"No. Not really." Buffy backed against the table. "Shouldn't you be with Angel or something?"

"My Angel's a bad dog. He has a nasty fascination with the sun. My sweet William has the same problem. But I can help him. I was his dark princess. You took him away."

"You want Spike back?"

"He was always mine. The moon belongs to the night. He was just blinded."

"Oh... god..." The mention of the moon and sun and the creepy doll made Buffy remember the dream she'd had what seemed like ages ago.

Drusilla stood right in front of Buffy, leaving barley an inch between them. She raised her hand and waved two fingers in front of Buffy's eyes. "Look into my eyes."

"Wh--?"

"Be in me." Buffy's eyes glazed over. Drusilla smiled.