Title: Meant To Be
Part: 5/18

The music in the Bronze blasted loudly... making any conversation pointless. So, Buffy and Spike simply danced. They were grinding against each other tightly. In fact, their whole dance was more of a sex-with-clothes-on act than actually dancing. Many young boys and girls were drooling at the gorgeous, obviously perfect for each other pair.

Buffy couldn't help but notice a young girl sitting in the corner of the Bronze, giggling madly. She was dressed like a living doll, petticoats under her dark pinafore, hair curled into thick spirals atop her head. Buffy was about to say something about her when Spike lowered his lips to her ear, kissing there.

"I love you, Slayer." Spike whispered, thinking Buffy couldn't hear. But, she could. She smiled against his neck.

"You don't know the first thing about love." Angel pulled Buffy away from Spike. Standing behind him were her friends and her Watcher. "You're an evil, soulless killer."

Giles was leafing through a book, shaking his head and muttering, "This is quite unprecedented. The blood on his hands... it wasn't there before." He wasn't even looking at Spike... he just kept reading and reading. Buffy saw Spike's hands coated in blood. "Very intriguing. Though, he is a vampire. It is to be expected. Angel is no different... and he has a soul."

"Buffy." Spike moved to her, but stopped when he saw his sire.

Drusilla made Angel let go of Buffy. "Pretty Angel, you've ruined the surprise." Her mouth setting in a pout. It was frightening. Her smooth skin deathly pale. Dark curls framing her face. Fangs were peaking out from under her upper lip, though she was not in game-face. "I had hoped no one would show what the moon was doing to the sun."

Buffy jerked awake. She rubbed her eyes, trying to shake off the fear and disgust she felt because of that dream. Touching her hand to her forehead, she felt a layer of sweat there. She crawled off her bed, books, which she'd been trying to study from before she'd fallen asleep.

Looking out her window, she saw the sky was a pinkish color. Sunsets where so beautiful... if only the dangers that lay beyond them didn't exist. She rested her elbows on the sil of her window for a second.

"Oh... shoot!" She rushed out of the room and into the bathroom to shower. She'd completely forgotten she was supposed to meet Spike.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spike stood underneath Buffy's bedroom window. He had to remind himself to get mad at her for changing there. Didn't she know that anyone could see her doing so? He'd be mad now... except he was enjoying the view of her rushing around in her lacy undergarments, worn ,no doubt, for him, changing in to and then out of different clothes.

She'd actually given up the search for something to wear for the moment so she could do her hair.

Spike tossed his cigarette to the soft earth that surrounded the large tree who's shade he was hiding under. He looked around before returning his attention to his woman.

This was the perfect place for him to watch her. He figured he could stand under the tree for hours without being seen. It was...

"Who are you and what are you doing out here?"

Spike's head snapped to face the woman who'd whacked him over the head with an ax. Buffy's mom. Of all the people to catch him looking into Buffy's bedroom window, it had to be her.

And, it figured, she held gardening tools in hand. A hoe tight in hand. Spike backed away from her. "Uh..."

"That's the coat Buffy wore all this week." She said, not giving him the chance to answer.

"Uh..."

"You must be her boyfriend."

"Uh..."

"I'm Joyce Summers, Buffy's mom. And you are?"

"Uh..." He shook his head to clear it. "William." He figured she might not approve of her daughter seeing a bloke named Spike.

"Nice to meet you William." She held out her hand. "I hope I wasn't being presumptuous about you being Buffy's boyfriend. I get hopeful. I know she has friends, but I do worry about her. She seems so lonely sometimes."

He held out his hand to shake hers. She drew her hand away immediately. "You're freezing cold! Why don't you come on in. I'm sure Buffy has you waiting outside for her because she doesn't think I'll approve, but you seem like a nice boy." She pulled him inside and made him sit in the living room with her.

"So, William, do you go to Buffy's school?"

"No. I..."

"You're British?"

"Yeah."

"You're not related to that Mr. Giles, are you?"

"No."

"How old are you."

"Mom! I'm leaving!" Buffy rushed downstairs for the door, and froze halfway there. "Spike! What are you doing in here!?!"

"Spike?"

"It's a nickname." He said, shifting uncomfortably in his seat.

"I asked him to come in. He was standing outside, and it's so cold. Why didn't you tell me you were going out on a date, Buffy?"

"I wasn't... we were just gonna go to the Bronze."

"You don't have to sneak around if you have a boyfriend, Sweety. In fact, I'd rather you not."

"Well, now you know... and now we have to go." She walked over and grabbed Spike's hand.

"What time will you be home?"

"Uh..." Both Buffy and Spike looked at her dumbly.

"How about midnight?"

"Right. It was nice meeting you Mrs. Summers." Spike smiled at Joyce as Buffy yanked him out the door.

"It was nice meeting you too, William. Have a good time, you two!" She called as they rushed down the sidewalk to Spike's car.

"Oh my god." Buffy buried her face in her hands once Spike had pulled the DeSoto away from her house.

"Luv? I'm sorry. I didn't think anyone would see me out there..."

"What if she asks Willow or Xander about you? They'd tell Giles. What am I going to do?"

"Couldn't you just tell your mum that they don't know? She seemed like a nice bird an' all... I'm sure she'd keep it hush, hush if you asked."

"You think?"

"Yeah." He reached over and cupped her cheek with his palm. He leaned over and kissed her cheek. "You look beautiful, Pet."

"Thanks." She blushed. Despite the horror of her mom finding out about Spike, the night seemed like it'd be a good one. Her nightmare was completely forgotten.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Despite the Bronze having been an excuse to her mom, they'd decided on going there anyway. Nice, normal type date... they just had to be on the lookout for any of her friends. Angel wasn't likely to show since he'd only ever gone in the first place to be around Buffy.

Buffy was having a blast as she and Spike swayed to the music. Spike on the other time was having a hard time keeping his demon in check for two reasons: one being all the bodies... he could practically hear their blood pumping as they danced. He hadn't feed off a human since that first night with Buffy, and he didn't intend to... but it was just so tempting to give in. Second was the fact that young boys kept trying to woo Buffy into dancing with them. He'd never more wanted to rip anybody's heads off in his unlife.

When Buffy had realized he was a bit jealous, she'd led him up to the catwalk, where there were less people.

It was dark up there, and with Buffy's soft body in his arms... hips slowly grinding against his, he was getting very naughty ideas. He wasn't sure Buffy'd go for any of them, though. Oh well. Maybe later. When they were alone.

Buffy sighed happily, wrapping her arms tighter around his neck.

Spike placed a kiss on her head. Wondering how this all happened.

Sure, there had been Dru and Angel's betrayal. But, he'd had feelings for the slayer before. There was no pint in denying that now. He imagined she must of felt something for him too.

In all the times they'd fought, despite the chances they'd had, neither had killed the other. It was funny, the other two slayers he'd killed, he'd just met them. Wham, Bam, thank you ma'am.

It was just something about her that had been different. Or... maybe this was just supposed to happen all along. It sure as hell felt right.

Buffy jerked out of his arms just then. "Luv?"

"Vampire." She said, motioning down below, where a vampire was leading a girl out of the Bronze. It wasn't one of his minions, so Spike didn't really care. When Buffy started to go, he grabbed her hand.

"Where are you going, Luv?"

"Hello? Vampire about to make a nummy treat out of that girl. Me, the one of the scared duty has to stop the evil so she can live ignorantly and happily ever after... yadda, yadda." She said with a roll of her eyes.

"Oh. Right." He frowned, letting her hand go.

Buffy looked at him expectantly for a second before running out.

"Oh, Bugger... she expects me to go with her?" He sighed, rushing after her.

When he got out there, Buffy had just finished dusting the vampire. She looked glorious, really. Still in fighting stance, right arm raised... stake in hand. She motioned for the frightened girl to run off.

The girl looked over at him, then back at Buffy before running off.

Buffy spun to face Spike. He leaned against the wall... opening his arms in an invitation.

She moved to him, he wrapped his arms around her waist as she pressed her body against his, hands gripping at his shirt. He could feel the stake she still held pressing lengthwise against his chest.

He moved them so she was backed against the wall. "Christ, you're so..."

"That's Spike!" Willow cried. Spike turned his head to see three of Buffy's little pals heading to the Bronze.

Buffy shoved him away from her. "Buffy!" They hadn't noticed it was her he was all over. Great... now they'd know. They'd hate her and tell Giles and he'd get all disapprove-y of her. Maybe even get the Watcher's Council after Spike.

"Hurry Buffy, stake him!" But Spike was gone. Buffy sighed in relief.

"He didn't hurt you, did he?" Willow asked, running up to her best friend.

"Uh... no. I was just startled a bit. He snuck up on me." She said quickly. They thought she was being attacked because she was holding a stake in hand. She was thankful they didn't see how she'd been melted against him. "Look, I gotta go home. I was just out to... get something for my mom. I'll see you guys tomorrow."

"Gee, she's sure been acting weird lately. I mean, more than usual." Cordelia commented as Buffy rushed off.

Buffy heard Xander and Willow agree with her before she was out of hearing range.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Mom! I'm home!" Buffy yelled as she dropped her coat on the floor by the door.

"It's barely eight, Buffy. Did something so wrong with you date?"

"Sort of. The gang showed up. They don't really... like Spike. They don't know we're dating. So we decided it'd be best for us to leave. And, here I am."

"Why don't they like William? He was so sweet."

"Well, you know, 'cause he's older and... stuff."

"How much older, Buffy?"

"Only twenty?" Buffy bit her lip. Okay... Spike was probably older than twenty when he was turned, but he could pass for it.

"I can't say I'm happy about that either, Buffy. But, you seem to really like him. So long as your school work isn't affected, I'm okay with this. You're almost seventeen now, and I can't stop you from seeing him. Like I said, he seems sweet and very nice. Just... be careful, okay?"

"I will be, Mom." Buffy hugged her mom. "Could you... not mention him around Xander and Willow?"

"Of course."

"Thanks. You're the best, you know that?" She kissed Joyce's cheek. "I'm gonna go to bed. I feel really burnt out."

"Goodnight, Sweety."

Buffy ran up to her room and shut the door. The night had been a complete bust. What the hell were they doing at the Bronze anyway? They were supposed to be researching with Giles. The jerks.

And, who were they to say she was acting weird? They were just...

Buffy squeaked when Spike stepped out of her closet. "Took you long enough." He whispered. "Least you didn't decide to stay with you mates there."

He walked over to her, pulling her into his arms. "They thought you were attacking me." She said softly.

"Idiots would." He snorted.

"So much for going out."

"Yeah. We can have more fun here anyway."

"We can't. My mom." She pouted, moving away from him.

Spike walked behind her and quickly stripped her of her clothes. He hushed her protests with kisses. When he was finished, she was standing only clad in her underwear.

He took his duster and shoes off, and lead her to the bed. They crawled under the covers and he held her until she fell asleep. He watched her for hours, leaving before sunrise.

A note, wishing her a good day, asking her to meet him at night, greeted her when she woke.