Title: Meant To Be
Part: 6/?

The Victorian style house, shaded by trees, was huge. Much more intimidating that any house Buffy had ever see. The outside was a dark grey color. Paint peeling. Grass on the lawn, and flowers in the flower beds all dead. Making the home look rundown. But, the thick black curtains blocking the windows could easily be identified as a velvet material. She chewed on her lower lip as she gazed up at it from the sidewalk. She quickly re-read the number on the small piece of paper she held to confirm the address of the fourth time.

She slipped the paper into her pocket and walked up the steps. She rung the doorbell knowing she'd probably be waiting for a while. Vampires generally slept during the day. Of course, generally, teenage vampire slayers should be at school, not waiting to be admitted into a house full of vampires to see her vampire lover.

But, she'd been forced to spend nearly a week playing the girl she'd been before she and Spike began their little affair. Her friends had been pestering her to no end about why she was being so distant... why she wasn't at home, yet not with them. So, she fought back her desire to run from them and into Spike's waiting arms and smiled. She researched with them. She Bronzed. They did group patrols again.

And it was killing her.

She couldn't stand being away from Spike as long as she'd been. Even though he called her on her cell phone and at home dozens of times a day. One of the last times they'd spoken, he'd given her his address and practically begged her to go... even if only for a few minutes.

She'd decided she'd go. Though she was leaving at lunch, if she was late for or missed a class, she'd be fine. Her grades were high since her mother had insisted she keep her grades up in order to keep seeing Spike. Missing one class wouldn't hurt her.

The door slid open about an inch. A vampire peaked though the slit, yawning. He fished a pair of ancient looking spectacles out of his shirt pocket and slid them on. He smiled a little. "The Master's been expecting you." He moved behind the door, opening it so she could enter. "I'm Dalton." He shut the door, then bowed slightly. "It's my pleasure to be of service to you, Mistress."

"Um... right."

"The Master is up in his bedroom, shall I take you up there?"

"Yeah. I mean, yes, please." She managed to answer. She was fascinated by the decor of the house. It was very, very expensive looking, though not in a gaudy way. The few lights that were on, gave it a soft inviting glow.

They walked up a long flight of steps and down a hallway. There was only one door at the very end of the hall. "That is his room, Mistress."

"Thanks." She quickly went inside, shutting the door behind her.

The room was decorated in dark colors. The carpet a deep red. The curtains surrounding the large bed black. She could see Spike laying under the covers of his bed. His sleeping form frighteningly still.

She made her way to join him, when a small book on his dresser caught her attention. There was a sketch of her on one page. On the neighboring page there was some writing.

"I fear I will have to go without her
My golden goddess
For she deserves much better than I
The creature who kneels before her
Subject to her perfection"

There were a few false starts for the next line. But, nothing seemed to satisfy him. Buffy picked up a pen that was next to the book and wrote something down before laying the pen down on the page and shutting the book. She brushed a few tears away from her cheek.

He drew her... and wrote a poem about her. It was sweet... and touching. Yet, it made her worry just a bit. He felt like he didn't deserve her? He wouldn't dare leave her, would he? "No." She thought. "He wouldn't." Wasn't how frequent he'd called her since they'd been apart a screaming indication that he wouldn't?

She pushed the curtains apart and sat on the edge of the bed. "Spike?" She whispered. When she got no response, she kicked off her shoes and laid on the bed, head on his chest. She pulled his arm around her and snuggled closer.

Spike's dreams of when he was a child morphed quickly into some strange perversion of "The Tell-Tale Heart". He could hear the beating heart loudly... it was deafening. And... he could practically feel the slow pounding against his skin.

He slowly opened his eyes when he felt a heavy warm weight pressed against his left side. His lover's scent washed over him before he looked down to see her. He sat up against the headboard, pulling her with him.

She looked up at him when he did that, smiling. "Hey, Sleepy-head." She pressed a quick kiss to his lips. Spike frowned when he tasted salt there. On her cheeks he could see faint tear-tracks.

"Why didn't you tell me you were coming." He shifted her so she was sitting on his lap.

"I wanted to surprise you. I didn't come at a bad time, did I? I mean, I know this is when you sleep and all... but you did say I could come over anytime. And that little vampire guy said you'd been expecting me..." All through her ramble, the pout she'd been sporting got more and more pronounced.

"I know, Luv, I'm just saying... I wouldn't of been asleep if I knew you were coming." He kissed her pouting lips.

"I can't stay long. I have to get back to school in a..." She glanced around for a clock, but found none. "In about a half hour. I haven't been here long, but it took a while to get here."

"See... if you'd of told me, I would have picked you up."

"Nag, nag, nag." She giggled.

"Are you free tonight, Pet?" He kissed along her collar bone.

"Mmmm... Yeah... er..." She shoved his head away. "Stop. I forgot. My dad's picking me up tonight. I'm supposed to spend the weekend with him and his secretary of the week."

It was Spike's turn to pout. "Too bad. When'll you be back?"

"Sunday night."

"How 'bout we do something then?"

"Okay." She smiled brightly.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Spike got back from driving Buffy back to school and was trying to settle back to sleep. Having had her in his arms... even though it was only for a short while, inspired him.

He'd spent the past few days actually writing down the poems that came to mind when he'd thought of her. Of course, he'd spent the time thinking about how he shouldn't be with her... or more... how she shouldn't be with him.

Take away the fact that she's the slayer... and she's still a human. A human with an expiration date that'll most likely come before his. A human who he'd never get to show around to his friends... because they'd want to make a meal out of her.

Turning her had crossed his mind. But, he couldn't stand the thought of her being a vampire... killing others... never able to be in the sun.

No. He'd have to be content with the thought of being with her for whatever time he'd had. Be it tomorrow... or years from now when she's old and grey.

He got out of bed and grabbed his journal off his dresser. He opened it where his pen was wedged between his latest drawing and poem about her. He was about to flip to a blank page when he realized the last two lines of the poem weren't written in his writing. He read them over and over again. Shocked... and pleased to no end. It was Buffy's writing.

"But, I would die without you
Because I love you beyond words"