Many many thanks to all the readers. Please read and review, not just mine but every story you read. Many people don't realize just how much it means to us authors.

Now on with the program.....

One word, just one word froze his blood. It stared up at him like some form of evil, making his heart pound worse than when Buffy decided to take her swan dive off crater Sunnydale. There was no possible way that this was happening, not now, not to him. William, his human name blinked at him like some garish neon sign. There were only four people in his vampire existence that knew that name, one was in a coma, two was on his honeymoon, three was stark raving mad, and four, Isabelle. There hadn’t been one shred of his existence that he hadn’t told her during the afterglow in bed. This just bloody well wasn’t possible and must be either a sick, cruel joke or just sheer coincidence. Never one for jokes and praying for a coincidence Spike split the seal on the envelope. Inside was a letter written on two pieces of notebook paper and smelled of lavender, the same scent that followed Isabelle wherever she went. Tears filled his eyes as he read and his heart cried out for her and the injustice he caused her.

William,

By the time you get this I’ll be gone. I always hoped and prayed to whatever and whoever would listen that you would come back for me that you would come back for us. But you never did, not once did you write or call to see how I was. That hurt. Until I found something to keep holding on for.

The children. There ours William, mine and yours. Alyssa Anne (after your mother) and Adrian William (after you). They were born eight months to the day after you left. I used whatever means I had to try to find you, but kept coming up that you were dead. I don’t know why or how it happened. Nevertheless, you and I created two precious lives during our time together. I will love them as I will love you. For all eternity. But I can’t stay, there is somewhere else I have to be, and my time here is running short.

After Alyssa and Adrian were born I found out I had cancer. The doctors said the twins should have never been conceived let alone born. That they were miracles, little did they know just how right they were. With the money you left I was able to find a little house and pay for little things my income didn’t cover. I never actually told them about you. It was too painful but I should have told them that their father was a good man, he was smart and funny, heroic and handsome and you would have loved them beyond all reason. That is my fault and I’m sorry I should have told them about you, I just didn’t know how without going into a lot of things that they wouldn’t understand.

A month ago I was attacked by a vampire coming home, but a young girl along with a passel of others killed him and walked me home. During one of their conversations I overheard them talking about you, and the fact you had regained your soul and that you were in LA. Then the doctors told me that the cancer was spreading rapidly and that I should start making provisions for the children. I sold everything except what the children would need and bought the car. I knew that somehow the children would lead me to you.

You see, they are indeed special. They don’t know it, but they have inherited some of your more useful qualities. Once we left Cleveland I began wearing an old shirt that you had left behind, never having washed it, for fear of washing away your smell, I knew that they would sense you and lead us to you. Seems I was right.

I write this now as I watch you in the moonlight by the ocean. You are sleeping so peacefully though knowing you, more from a hangover than anything. The children are sleeping in the car, but soon I will get them and tell them to stay near you when I say goodbye.

I know what you must think of me leaving them like this, especially since you have a soul. But I can’t bear to have them watch me get weaker until there is nothing left of the mother they knew. I love them and you with everything that is in me that is why is was so important for me to bring you together. Please don’t turn them away William, you’re all they have left in this world. You are their father and if I know you like I believe I do, you will come to love them as much as I. Alyssa is so much like you that some days it hurt my heart just to watch her. She can be brash and bold and not a bit shy and constantly wants approval. Adrian, he’s like me, feisty, with a way of getting into trouble, and a little shy at times.

Love them for both of us William. I will be watching out for all of you.

With all my love forever,
Isabelle


Tears were streaming down Spike’s face as he refolded the letter and put it back in his coat. Getting out and carefully closing the hatch so it wouldn’t wake the children he began pacing in front of the car. If he wouldn’t have known Isabelle, his first thought would have been that she had been with someone else during their time together, but that was not possible. Taking out his phone again he called Wesley again.

“Wes, I need you to get the LA team together have them meet Gunn and me when we get back to the Hyperion, we need to hit some books for research.”

“What’s going on Spike, I know you patrolled last night? Did you run into something that you think is about an apocalypse?” Wesley as usual thought everything revolved around an apocalypse.

“I’ll let everyone know when I get there, just get them there a head of me.” It was hard for Spike to talk since his throat was still pretty choked up. Hanging up the phone again before Wesley could ask any more questions he lit up a cigarette and kept pacing still going when Gunn showed up with his truck.

“Hey, man what are you doing getting me out of bed at this ungodly hour just to come pick up your bleach blonde ass at the beach? Have you finally learned that you, alcohol and that bike don’t go together very well?” Gunn got out slamming the door and walked around to the tail gate lowering it.

“Can you help me load up the bike?” Spike flicked his cigarette to the ground and walked over to the bike kicking its stand up. Walking it over to the truck he helped Gunn get the bike on and strapped down.

“So are you ready, or do you need a few minutes.” Charles was the first one to see somewhat human Spike with a hangover and witnessed first hand how a stomach could rebel on too much alcohol on a stomach not used to being sensitive.

“Hang on a minute, there’s a couple things I have to get first.”

Gunn watched Spike curiously as he walked to an old blue car and opened it’s passenger side door. He was about to yell at his friend when Spike came up holding a little boy in his arms. Spike walked the sleeping boy to the truck and gently placed him inside before going back to the car. All Gunn could do, was stare as Spike this time carried an awake but sleepy little girl in one hand and an old trunk in another. Putting the trunk in the back of the truck, he hopped in setting the little girl in his lap before closing the door. Gunn got in and put the truck in gear.

“So what’s going on man?” He asked looking at his friend with wide eyes as two small children cuddled to what he knew was one of the most fierce vampires to ever walk the earth.

“Just get us to the Hyperion, I’d rather tell everyone at once. It will make it easier on everyone that way.” Spike wasn’t paying much attention to anything for the moment. His mind was still on Isabelle, her letter and the fact that he was a father. A father of the two children who were now nestled in his arms.

The ride to the Hyperion was silent as the children slept and Gunn and Spike both mulled over things in their own way. Gunn wondered what the hell was going on and Spike wondered what the hell he was going to do now.

A few blocks away from the Hyperion, Adrian woke up first rubbing his eyes and yawning. Looking up at Spike he smiled and cuddled closer. Spike rewarded the boy with a returned smile and gladly cuddled him near.

Spike couldn’t get past the idea that the children he held in his arms were his. That he had helped to create these two precious life forms. His soul and his demon were in complete awe, something that had never happened until now. The only question running through his mind was why and how. Big questions that definitely were going to need big answers.

Pulling into the back alley of the Hyperion, Gunn shut off the ignition and got out of the truck. He didn’t quite know what to do, or if Spike wanted him to do anything so he just stood there.

“Gunn, there’s a trunk in the back could you take it inside for me. I need a few minutes along with the children.” Spike opened his door and gently shaking Alyssa awake.

“Come on Poppet, time to wake up.” Holding her in one arm and Adrian in the other, he walked into the garden that Fred was lovingly restoring. Sitting them down on the bench he bent and sat on his haunches facing them.

“There is something that I have to tell both of you. I’d rather tell you now, rather than later. There was a reason your mummy left you by me. I read the letter that she left. She knew how to find me because I’m your father. I didn’t know it, but because of your mummy’s letter I do. I don’t know how good a da I’ll be, but I’ll try.” Spike looked into the eyes of his children’s as they lit up with joy, then propelled backward as both of them launched themselves into his arms.

“I knew you would find us one day daddy, I knew it. Emily at school got a new daddy and I knew someday I would too.” Alyssa hugged her father with all the strength in her small body as her brother did the same. Tears of happiness as his heart expanded and all the walls crumbled from around his heart making it really beat for the first time. He was holding his children so close that he was afraid he’d crush them. These two tiny beings loved him unconditionally without knowing anything about him. Now more than ever he had a family he could call his own.

Doing for some reason seemed to come natural he started tickling their ribs until he had arm fulls of squirming, squealing bundles of joy. Growling low in his throat, he laughed as they scrambled away laughing before tackling him again. Standing up with one in each arm he continued to tickle them as he made his way into the Hyperion lobby. Today the first day of March was the first true day of his life.


.