Chapter 1

Spike walked into his house a few hours later. He was greeted by Tara. “Hey, so how’d it go?” Spike shrugged and sat on the couch.

“It went fine, I start on Monday. If you ask me the principal is a real troll. It would be fun to have him for a boss.” Spike said sarcastically. “How was Amanda?” He asked changing the subject.

“She was great as always. You raised a pretty amazing kid, Spike. She’s taking a nap now.” Spike nodded.

“Thanks again for watching her.” Tara nodded also.

“I wish I could help more when you need me, but I have a lot of work to do and won’t always be available and now with you teaching and Amanda not starting school for another month. You may need to get some extra help.” Spike sat up and looked at her.

“What, you mean higher a babysitter or something?” Tara nodded again.

“Yes, only when you’re really desperate and can’t get anyone else to watch her.” Spike shook his head.

“I don’t know about leaving her with some stranger.” He replied.

“Well, it was just a suggestion. Just think about it, okay?” Spike nodded and rested his head on the back of the couch. “So, what grade would you be teaching anyway?” She asked.

“I’ll be teaching the 12th grade at Sunnydale High. I’ve never taught older kids before. It might be better being around kids closer to my age for once.” Tara agreed.

“Maybe, but I know how much you love little kids.” Spike nodded.

“Yeah, but this would be something new and I really need this job. I’ll take what I can get.” He told her.

“Well, I better get going. I’ll see you tomorrow.” She said as she kissed him on the cheek. He got off of the couch and walked her over to the door. When she left, he headed back to the couch and sat down for a few minutes until he heard a quiet voice that broke the silence.

“Daddy,” the little girl said as she rubbed her eyes. Spike turned his attention on his daughter.

“Hey, baby.” He said as he picked the girl up and sat her on his lap. “I thought you were sleeping.” Amanda rested her head on his chest and yawned.

“I can’t sleep.” Spike ran his fingers through her hair.

“Did you have another dream?” Amanda nodded against his chest.

“I dreamt about mommy.” Spike was surprised by that.

“You did? What did you see?” Spike knew that Amanda never met her mother, but he showed her pictures and told her about her, so she would know what her mother was like.

“She was singing to me.” Spike smiled and kissed the top of her head.

“Yeah, she loved to sing. She used to sing to her belly when she was pregnant with you, so you could hear her voice.” Amanda pulled away and looked at him.

“I want a mommy. All the other kids both have a mommy and a daddy. Why can’t I have a mommy, too?” Spike felt for his daughter, since she could talk she was always asking about her mommy and why she didn’t have one.

“I don’t know, sweet pea. I wish I could give you a mommy, but daddy has a problem with that.” Amanda looked confused.

“Why?” She asked him and he wasn’t sure what to tell her.

“Well, everyone that daddy has been involved with lately left after they found out about you.” Amanda looked sad.

“They didn’t like me.” She said and Spike was secretly hitting himself.

“Of course they did, baby. It’s just that a lot of people don’t like dealing with other people’s kids. They rather have some of their own and I haven’t found anyone that accepted you yet as their own, but I will. I promise I will find someone that will love you just as much as I do and will want nothing more than to be your mommy.” Amanda smiled at that and rested her head back on his chest. Spike continued to run his fingers through her hair. He really hated making a promise that he didn’t know if he could keep. He would have said anything just to get his little girl to smile. He knew that she wanted a mother to love like all of her friends. Spike wished he could find someone for her and for himself.