Chapter 4


At ten o’clock, Buffy was a little upset to see that Angel wasn’t waiting outside to bring her home. She’d tried ringing her mother, but the phone was engaged.

She felt footsore and her back ached from the double shift, she wanted a long soak and a good nights sleep. Still. At least it would be another bill paid now. She got the bus home, walked in the house, and flopped on the sofa.


“Mom, did you tell Angel that I was doing a double shift?” she leant her head back against the sofa, talking to her mother who was in the kitchen.

“Yes love, why?” Joyce said, standing in the archway between the two rooms. She was wiping her hands on a dishtowel.

“Only he didn’t come and meet me, I had to get the bus”

“Oh, he said something about having something important to see to”

“Like what?” Buffy asked, frowning.

Joyce turned back to face her daughter

“I don’t know, you’ll have to ask him yourself tomorrow” Buffy yawned and stretched.

“I’m going for a bath and then bed, I’m shattered”

“Ok love, goodnight – oh, I’m out early in the morning”

“’Kay, night” Buffy called from halfway up the stairs.

At ten the following morning, Buffy answered the front door to her fiancé.

“What happened to you last night?”

“What?”

“Last night, why didn’t you pick me up from work?”

“Oh, sorry, I had to go out, I did tell your mom”

“Where to?”

“Well, see the thing is-“

“Look, before you start, can I have the thirty dollars I gave you last Sunday, I’ll put it with the seventy I earned last night, and that’ll finish paying for the wedding video”

“Um…”

“Well come on” Buffy held her hand out, waggling her fingers with impatience.

“Erm, well, see the thing is…”

“Have you left it at home? – Look, no matter, we can pick it up on the way”

“On the way?”

“To pay for the video! Keep up! Come on, let’s go”

“Um, see the thing is…I haven’t got it” Angel shuffled his feet uncomfortably.

“What do you mean?”

“I er…I went out last night, and um, well you see, if I can get on the Pool team at the Bronze, I thought that I could earn some playing pool” Buffy frowned.

“You PAID to get a place on the pool team?”

“No, not exactly…I bought them drinks, and-“ Buffy saw red.

“You’ve spent the money on BEER?”

“Think of it as an investment, Buffy…good money can be earned playing pool!” Buffy’s blood boiled.

“Here’s me, working my bloody fingers to the bone, working all the hours god sends, and you go and spend $30 on beer! I haven’t been out for weeks! Get out, go on, get out before I really start!”

She was looking for something to throw at him, and Angel thought that now was a good time to leave…

“But Buffy, love…it’ll be money well spent!”

“IF, and I mean IF I thought that you were any good at pool, I wouldn’t mind, but Xander can beat you, so can Willow! You waste $30, just because you think you’re some bloody Paul Newman incarnate…just…just go will you”

“Paul Newman?” Angel asked frowning

“Yes, the Hustler…just go before I really loose my temper!” Angel went. Buffy threw herself on the sofa. Five minutes later, there was a ring on the doorbell. She got up, flung open the door,

“I’m not done forgiving –OH MY GOD!” she had to clutch the door to remain upright, her knee’s had almost given way on her.

“Hello Buffy!”

“Will-William!”