Chapter 2



Joyce was on the phone to her ex-husband and Buffy’s father, Hank…

“………No, I’m not getting hysterical Hank, I’m ok, really, it’s just well, I know she was with him for a while, I really thought it was just a crush thing…I’m at my wits end that’s all”

“Well, sorry Joyce, I can’t take her, I’ve got a conference in NY next week, I’m sure she’ll come round” Hank said.

“Don’t be late with the maintenance check will you, she’s run up a $350 phone bill”

“She’s WHAT?”

“Honestly…I’ve told her, she’s got to come to the gallery, do some cleaning to earn money to help pay for it”

“Don’t be too hard on her”

“Don’t be…HANK – have you listened to a word I said? She’s practically getting off Scott free as it is…she’s failed some tests at school, she speaks to me like I’m something she’s trodden in, I was hoping for some support from you, but as usual, you’re about as useful as a chocolate teapot, sorry I troubled you!” Joyce slammed the phone down on her ex.


Buffy stood at the top of the stairs and asked,

“Was that Daddy?”

“He’s gone”

“Fine! Not EVEN allowed to speak to my own dad now!” Buffy huffed, slamming her door again.
Joyce sat on the third step, eyes closed, rubbing her temples.



The following morning, Joyce had put out three choices of cereal, had pancake mix made up and bread ready in the toaster, thinking how hungry Buffy must be not eating supper last night...

Buffy came downstairs, and made straight for the fridge. She grabbed a carton of juice, and just to annoy her mother, she drank straight from the container.

“Cereals or pancakes, the batter’s all-“

“Bye”

“BUFFY! You can’t go to school without breakfast!”

“Watch me!” Buffy snapped, grabbing her bag and making for the front door.

“You didn’t have supper last night either…here’s your…(SLAM) lunch – oh!”

Joyce let her arm drop. She flung the paper sack of sandwiches and fruit on the counter. Buffy ran across the grass, and watched with a grin as Xander drove up.

“Can you do this every morning?”

“Sure, let’s go get Willow”

Buffy went on playing ‘Prize Bitch Teen From Hell’ until she was so close to being grounded forever, that her mother had seriously threatened to put her daughter in care.

Then the need to study became urgent.

Although William had been well ahead of his new fellow students in such subjects as computing, science and maths, he seriously lagged behind in English, and history, having studied American history rather than British.

Their letters came less frequent, and slowly trickled to birthday cards and Christmas cards.

Then Will and his dad had to move again, and he’d meant to send her his new address, but, well, you know how it is…exams, life…