Silence. Silence is said to be golden. Silence is also said to be deafening at times. For Spike the silence was just becoming...uncomfortable.

The boy hadn't spoken. Wouldn't speak. Not that Spike had tried all that hard. Frankly he was at a loss what to say.

The kid took orders well. After their meal he had directed the kid to wash up, change, help gather supplies so they could move on. The child did it all diligently, but without sound.

Well it wasn't like they were best friends or nothin'.

Spike couldn't waste a lot of time with talk anyways.. He wanted to make up some ground now that the kid seemed to be up and around on his own. No more having to lug him around place to place like a sack of potatoes. No more sponge baths and diaper washes. No more forcing broths down his throat. No, the kid would have to learn to fend for himself now.

Still, Spike expected....something. A 'Thank you'. A 'Hey, where we going'. Kid didn't even ask who he was. Didn't ask nothin about where his mom or da was or such.

Driving in the car down the dust back roads, Spike stole glances at the boy as he sat slumped in his chair. The kid looked so serious, sad even. Well Spike supposed he had earned the right. Kid must have been through a lot. Spike didn't know what to do. What to say. The Silence was becoming unnerving.

So he sighed and turned on the radio.

Luckily enough, this last car they 'borrowed' was a decent find and the 'previous owner' was apparently a fan of American music. The car was fitted with CD and a player to boot.

Some of the music wasn't half bad, not the normal stuff Spike preferred, but not half bad.
Kinda like the stuff Fred used to play in her office. Spike had spent a lot of time with her. Listen to music. Talking. Just.. being.

He wondered what she was up to. If anyone could help him, Fred could. He just needed to get to her.

A melody came on. One Spike was familiar with. It had been pretty popular when he had first come back and Fred had liked it. Spike liked it too, although he wouldn't have admitted it. It wasn't his usual style, but something about the tune appealed to him.

Without thinking Spike began to sing along with the music, quietly at first.

Day after day I'm more confused
YET I look for the light thru the pourin' rain
You know that's a game that I hate to lose
I'm feelin' the strain
Ain't it a shame-oh

Give me the beat boys and free my soul
I want to get lost in the rock and roll
And drift away
Give me the beat boys and free my soul
I want to get lost in the rock and roll
And drift away

Spike hummed along, with an almost content feeling. He was about sing the next like, but someone else beat him to it.
In a small clear voice came the next words

Beginnin' to think that I'm wasting time
And I don't understand the things I do
The world outside looks so unkind
I'm counting on you
To carry me thru-oh

Spike looked over at the boy. Surprised. The boy's blue eyes met his own. There was little time to think because the chorus came up.

They sang it together


Give me the beat boys and free my soul
I want to get lost in the rock and roll
And drift away
Give me the beat boys and free my soul
I want to get lost in the rock and roll
And drift away


They sang the next few verses alternating the lines

When my mind is free
You know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue
The guitar's comin' thru to soothe me

Thanks for the joy that you've given me
I want you to know I believe in YOUR song
And rhythm and rhyme and harmony
You helped me along
You're makin' me strong

And finished the choris together.

Give me the beat boys and free my soul
I want to get lost in the rock and roll
And drift away
Give me the beat boys and free my soul
I want to get lost in the rock and roll
And drift away


Spike looked over at the boy who met his eyes again with a weak smile. "Well Well. So you can speak. And sing too. Who would have thunk it. So now that we're all friends. How bout a name?"

The boy looked ahead. For a minute he looked like he was concentrating on something. But then he lowered his head and Spike saw his shoulder's shaking. The boy was crying.

Spike kept glancing over. 'Oh bloody hell', he cursed silently as the boy began to cry.

"Listen kid. I didn't mean to upset you or nothin'. You keep your secrets. You can tell Ol' Spike when your ready".

He smiled and looked at the boy who was watching him with watery eyes and rubbing his runny nose. "Spike that's me by the way, " He added.

The boy continued to stare at him with his runny nose.

Spike looked at him. The amount of leakage coming off the boy was bothersome. "Look let's see if we can dry you up a bit. Maybe I have a towel around here..."

As Spike began to fumble around with his hand trying to find a towel in the back, whilst driving , the boy took the tale end of his shirt and proceeded to wipe his nose.

"Or you can just use your shirt." Spike said as he froze, hand half on a towel, eyes watching the boy. Spike chuckled in amusement. Well, he was a boy after all wasn't he? Actually, this was the most normal thing that Spike had seen the kid do. "No worried," Spike added, " Well just steal another one."

The boy looked at him strangely from behind his shirt.

"Ohh beauty song is on", Spike said excitedly, "Ya heard this one?"
The boy looked up and shook his head.

Spike grinned, "Well Boy. Time to start your musical education."

The car sped up, blearing {Don't Fear the Reaper} as they went along.



}(Note) I did not write Drift Away or Don't fear the Reaper{

Ch 12


"We need to Send them a little help I think." The auburn head woman ask hesitantly.

"They have had quiet enough interference." The female figured informed.

"They have been aided far enough." The male form added.

"Our powers of interference is limited." said the female.

"Or else the path may be altered." added the male.

"And the way lost." said the female.

Anya sighed in frustration. She was beginning to regret her position as high emissary of the prophets. Don't get her wrong the perks were great. Cordelia's old job came with some benefits. The travel, the pleasures, the delights to be found in every corners of the blessed dimensions. Heaven really is all they say it is and more.

But since the war began again, there had been little leisure time. And she'd been stuck in this boring corner of the blessed dimension for far too long It was times like these she wished that Cordy hadn't gotten herself booted out of heaven and then possessed by evil.

Cordy hadn't quite gained her station after her mortal death. The powers wanted a more neutral delegate.

But Anya wasn't as detached as the power's would like to believed.

She didn't want to see Spike or William suffer. She didn't want to keep Buffy from her child. She didn't want to watch the second by second torment that Buffy suffered since she lost her precious child.

But she also had to tread lightly. To use her position to influence the powers carefully.
Cordelia already has fallen and Darla had gone renegade. Going against the will of the Powers was ea bad idea. Anya couldn't help anyone if she was booted off the field onto the sidelines.

But Anya had to do something. If for no other reason than to get Joyce off her back. "Maybe we could just send a little." she was going to suggest.

"Trying to force the outcome of free will never goes well." the female stated flatly

"Freewill must be maintained." The male said.

"Neither good nor evil can be forced." said the male.

"Grave consequences have occurred to those who have meddled." said the male.

"On both sides." said the female.

"As the one called Connor is evidence to." said the male

"Freewill must be maintained." said the female.

"Or the truth that lies in their hearts cannot be uncovered." said the male

"And the true path will be lost." said the female.

"The way has been lost far too many times in the past." said the male

"We are close to victory now." said the female

"We would preserve this journey." said the male

"Yes, well they are 'Journeying' the wrong way", said Anya exasperated. "Everyone banked on the fact that Spike would go to Buffy, or Giles. Which of course made sense. Right? I mean they haven't spoken in years. He doesn't know where the council headquarters are. And; Well, let's face it.. Everyone saw how he ran out to find Buffy when he came back. 'Course he didn't have fingers; well, not real ones anyone so he couldn't dial a phone but...

"Enough." said the male

"None of those events occurred.", said the female

"Yeah, called sarcasm. Look into it." Anya muttered, "Anyway, "she said, "Look we can make it like..." Like a test!"
"Yes." Anya said excitedly 'This could work', she thought. 'A test. The powers are all about tests and quests and such'.
"Yes," Anya said in mock seriousness, "I believe they...umm, Spike needs a test. Yes to.. to show how much he's..grown. How much he's changed and matured and.. and grown!" Give him a little test, and if he passes. They you can just... Oh I don't know... Point him in the right direction... Send him a weather vain pointing North...Drop him a map with an X marks the spot. What ever you feel is appropriate." Anya finished, quite pleased with herself.

"An interesting proposition", said the female.

"There is that issue a few miles south of their vicinity." said the male.

"But we have not interfered with this issue before." Said the female.

"To do so would direct free will." said the male.

"We would have to..Influence directly, one their own." said the female.

"To drive it into their direction." said the male.

"It would be in direct violation of the treaty." said the female.

"The Powers, good or evil, do not interfere with free will." said the male

"We influence, but not directly." said the female.

"Influence..? Influence! Destroying the slayer line wasn't influence? Sending.. Nutty trashy ..vamp and that Angelus Jr off to kidnap Buffy's son was not interference. Trying top force the prophecy in the first place with Mr big hair jr?. These weren't violations? These...."

"We understand," said the male.

"The point has been made," said the female.

"The lines have been drawn, "said the male.

"We are at war," said the female.

"We will grant your request," said the male.

"We have the perfect test," said the female.

"If he passed, he will have aid." said the male.

"Be understood that the ultimate choice will be his own." said the female.

"Great!" said Anya, "That's all were asking," she added. She breathed a sigh of relief. "Well,".. she said.

"There is just one more thing....."

Much later Anya went in search of her co-conspirator. She found Joyce by the little brook that Anne and her frequented so often. She was watching the waters. Inside the water's depths should have been only a cool clear spring. A quiet bed of water for the woman to watch and find some peace. But instead Anya saw a house on the surface of the water. And in the house was a room. And in the room was a blond women. A woman who had lost faith. A women who had turned to drinking to dull the pain, and cutting to control it when she couldn't. A woman who's days and most nights were spent in search. Search of demon hideouts, reports, sometimes simply wandering the streets. A women who fought and killed in her child's name, until she had no strength left. A woman who when her strength did leave her and it got to be too much, came here, to his room, to wallow in despair. A women who was giving up all hope that her son could be found.

"Oh Buffy," Joyce sobbed.

Joyce felt Anya approach. She rose and Anya didn't have to speak. The smile, the glow in her eyes was enough. Joyce knew.
The news was good.

Joyce grabbed Anya and clutched at her in gratitude, tears flowing down her face.

"Come on now, "Anya said, "All this crying. Tears from heaven and such. Well, there shouldn't be a water shortage anytime soon, let me tell you. Some dehydrated people maybe." Anya chuckled nervously, the joke falling flat.

"Oh Anya, "Joyce cried still hugging her despite Anya's growing discomfort, "They've agreed?, She asked when she tore herself away to face Anya.

"They agreed." She smiled.

"To everything?" Joyce asked in one breath.

"To everything." Anya beamed.

Anya saw Joyce's eyed glow and could almost her the gears in the older women's brain as she plotted.

"With limits. Now there are rules. Rules and rules and..limits and more rules. You just can't go and spill everything." Anya warned.

But Joyce just grabbed her and clung to her again whispering thank you's.
Anya hoped Joyce had heard and understood the rules.
For all their sakes