Author's Chapter Notes:
some referance to rape
Ch 11 Understandings.(note please review it's what keeps me going).

Spike stood there stiffly with the quietly sniffling child held loosely in his embrace. His eyes wide in confusion as emotions warred inside him ranging from horror at his actions to a tenderness he had never know. Spike slowly extracted the child from his embrace and simply stared at him. The boy's tear stained eyes and anguished expression pulled at Spike's soul. It made him experience feelings of pity and of caring, and of...disgust. This child reminded him of something. He was too hauntingly familiar of...someone. A persona that Spike had been trying desperately to shed all of his immortal life. One which he would not let reassert itself in this new mortal reality.

With lips thinned, Spike hardened himself. He needed to stay in control, calm, neutral. He had to get his turbulent senses linked on to one soul purpose. Survival. Once he was assured of that, he could go on with his life. Alone.

'Best not let the kid get too attached,' Spike thinks.

Spike dragged the boy gently, but sternly by the arm and let him to sit on the bed. The child
put up no resistance as he sat down on the stained sheets, his leaky eyes caste down to the floor in defeat.

Spike look at the lost child. Quivering. Shaking. Crying. ('Weak!') ('Another Weakling')
('Be done with him William'!) His mind shouted.

Spike's anger got the better of him. He gripped the child by his shoulders and shook him roughly, causing the boy's eyes to go wide and peer up at him.

"What the bloody hell where you thinking!" He shouted, "What do you thinks all going on around here?! You think this is some kind game? Think your fairy godmother's gonna come down and save you? Think you can just run off and catch the next pumpkin coach?"

Spike shook the boy harder, "Where on the run for our lives. I've been dragging you around for days. How long you been able to get around anyway!? You think you can play me for a fool!?"

Spike released the crying child with a slight shove. He began pacing around the room, cursing and ranting, and carrying on, more to himself than to the boy.

"Where the hell, did you think you were gonna get off to?" Spike shouted at him, "I'm all you got in the world. I'm what stands between you and a slow painful death at the hand of some nice hungry vampires. They'd make a right little snake out of a tasty tid bit like you all right, Wouldn't they?"

The boy's trembled and his cries increased.

'What am I doing!' Spike thought. 'I'm not cut out for this. I'm no hero.'

"I bloody well did my job didn't I?" Spike shouted at the ceiling. "Saved the bloody world! This is a hero's end!? To become baby-sitter for the supernatural disenfranchised youths of the world? Well, no thanks and fuck you! I got a un-li..er life to lead! Such as it is!"

('Yes, End it now. It is so simple. Take the knife. No one would know.')

"Simple.." Spike mummered coldly as a slow evil smile creeping onto his face., "Sooo simple." he quietly whispered. His eyes lightened with a cold glow.

Spike calmly walked to the heap of cluttered objects at the end of the room and grabbed his blade. He was himself and not himself, outside of time and space as he held the blade, looked at it, fondled it, savored it. 'Soooo simple'

His eyes were narrowed and turned colder as he moved and faced the boy. The boy's tears stopped and his eyes widen in terror. He remained absolutely still as he watch Spike slowly approach, blade in hand. A sudden slight sting caused him to rub his left hand across his chest, wincing slightly as the still burned skin ached under his movements.
.
Spike halted his steps. His eyes widened as his senses suddenly came rushing back within himself. They slammed into him like a freight train as he dropped the knife. He turned from the boy, guilt and shame seeping into his soul at what had crossed his mind. This kid was here because of him. He knew this. He didn't know how but he knew this, but he was as certain of it; as certain as he was that he now needed air to breathe. And he had made promises. To himself, To his mum, and to the kid not 5 minutes ago.

Spike stumbled across the room and finally landed on the floor with a thud. His blue eyes met the boy's as both stared at each other in shock. Spike didn't know what had just happened, but he had felt almost out of control for a moment. Just a moment.
A moment almost too long. Look what he'd almost done.

"I'm going mad." He whispered to himself, "Stark raving mad."

Spike heard a grumbling and he turned to look at the boy again who was now holding his stomach and grimacing as if in pain. Spike heard a sizzling crack like oil on a griddle and a burning smell.

"Bloody hell!" He cried as he got up and ran to rescued his lunch which was boiling over onto the hot plate. He sighed as he picked up a ruin cloth to clear up the mess. Quickly he changed his mind and dropped the cloth. Let the roaches have what spilled over. 'It will go nicely with the bourbon.' He thought dryly.

He grabbed the flat bread that was on the table and whatever soup he could salvage.
"Bon appetite boys" He wished to the vermin.

He started toward the bed. A fresh slab of guilt washed over him as he saw the boy cowered and scramble to the far edge. Spike broke off a piece of the bread and handed it carefully to the child.

The boy licked his lips, and Spike could tell he was near starved. However the kid was eyeing him as if he was Satan himself, pitchfork, horns and all, offering him a flaming turd to dine on.

Spike sighed. "Look kid." He took a piece of bread and slowly, almost comically began to overly enthusiastically chew the slightly stale substance. "Mmmmm," Spike intoned, "He rubbed his stomach, "Yummy eats."

For a second Spike could have sworn he saw a smirk appear on the kid's face before a mask of wariness slipped back onto it. However, Spike's point was established and his goal accomplished. The boy took some bread into his hands. He looked at the bread, sniffed it a couple of times, and gingerly took a bite into his mouth. One taste was enough to encourage him and he began to shove the rest of the food into his mouth as quickly as he could, taking in giant lung fulls of air in as he went about inhaling both food and oxygen in great gulps.

"Hey now take it easy mate. Chew a little bit will ya? You'll choke yourself to death and get a stomach ache besides. Wait here". Spike got up and quickly grabbed a can of cola and gave it to the boy. "Amazingly enough this stuff is easier to come by than water, and safer too. It's wet and it'll do to get you hydrated. Drink up."

Spike noticed that the child seemed to ease. His eating slowed and they finished the rest of their makeshift meal together in silence. Once the food was consumed Spike clear the waste off the bed. Stood up and look down at the boy.

"Now my little friend. What are we to do with you?"


Ch 12
"What am I going to do?" The young man grunted as he stood sat overlooking the all to quiet lands.

He had climbed a tree as to better peer into the desolate woods, and into the small town close beyond it. As keen as his immortal eyes were he could detect no moment, his superior ears heard no sounds. These small towns, the woods and it's inhabitants are of another time and place. They are superstitious in nature and take no chances in the cover of night. Even the smallest creatures knows well the dark horror that rule in the blackness. So all beings who value life keep themselves locked away and well hidden. It is hard to hunt here, but he had grown up on a far harsher world. He had survivor more treacherous trials. He would survive this. Survival was what he knew. The only thing familiar to the man.

But the man needed to find food. Human food and soon.

He didn't dare travel to a larger city. For on this night and many nights to follow, they were as hunted as the prey they searched for. Scavengers of all shapes and sizes stalked them in the streets like vultures ready to devour the doomed prey. That is exactly how the man felt. That summed it up in a word. Doomed.

The man clutched his head into his hands and pulled slightly at his brown hair. He remembered better days, blissful times, and began to wondered when it all began to fall apart. Bitterly he remembered when. When the witch had come. That bitch came and delivered them to his father. His father always seemed to be the cause of his ruination. The bane of his existence. His father, and that blond bastard. They had caused this. And eventually, they would pay for it.

It was because of them that they where, stuck out in this oblivion. A hell almost as worse than the caves they'd escape from. No where to run, nary a place to hide. How do you hide, after all, when hell itself is searching for you?

Connor's thought were interrupted by a low whisper on the wind. He immediately set off in search of the intrusion into the silence.

What he came upon was a young couple. Teens sneaking away from the security of their farms. Young lovers with lust in their loins that seeped into and clogged their brains. Foolish of them to abandon all that they know, all that they hold dear and value, for an hour of rutting in the woods, and the instant yet limited moments of pleasure this interlude could possibly provide. One moment of pleasure, that would cost them everything. Their very lives in fact.
Foolish of them, but fortuitous for the beast.

Connor crept closer. He could see the pair easily now. Could hear their muffled moans and smell their mutual arousal. He watch them all but tear the clothes off each other and fall back onto the sodden moss. Still he watch and waited. The caresses, the kisses, the slow fondling. The scent of the pheromones. He could not keep himself from rubbing his own now rigid aching member, as the organ felt it's need to remind him that it had been neglected for far..far too long. Because...

Because his princess was angry. She had not and would not forgive for his betrayal and her anger had festered like a gangrenous sore. Angry that he had taken her away. Angry that he had made her leave her 'knight' and her golden boy. Even angrier still that she was stuck out here, with nothing but baby raccoons or possums to feed from. Hunting had been horrendous, until now.

Connor continued to wait even though the quickening of the fucking was killing him with his own lust. He watch the boy enter her. Heard their grunts of satisfaction and commencing pleasure, and still Connor waited.

The closer they got to coitus, the sweater the blood would be. A fine treat for his princess. One that would go along way to achieving his redemption.

As he heard their heart beats quicken and their breaths become increasingly ragged only then did he swoop swiftly down on the unsuspecting pair. He would have played with them. He would have gagged the boy. Cut him deep, but left him alive. He would have made the boy watched as he roughly fucked his female. Taking her time and time again before the eyes of her anguished lover. Maybe then he would have fucked the boy as well. Painfully thrusting into his ass. Rejoicing at the blood and howls that would flow from the him.

Connor grew painfully harder. He could almost her the imagined screams and please as he unceremoniously broke both their next in a succession of quick blows. This kill was thoroughly unsatisfying. Connor grabbed the girl and drank deeply. Ahh a newly deflowered virgin, barely. Does it count if your penetrated but not yet..sealed the deal?

The blood quenched his hunger but not his burning desire and the ache in his loins. The ache for sex, for blood, for kill. But Connor dare not let too much noise escape into the winds, lest the town become aware of the presence of outsiders. These people took care of their own, and would not be kept from going on the hunt themselves. Connor had enough people hunting him.

No, a quick silent kill was better. The town would think the pair had simply run off. This way was smarter, better. Better to keep his princess safe.

Connor buried over the spilt blood, making doubly sure he left no evidence of the kill and proceeded to gather his prizes up for his princess.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He was gone again. Probable off trying to hunt. A fruitless endeavor in this vial sparse land where the people all hide away like little scared rats in their holes.

Hours had gone by and not a word had been yet heard. Even as hungry as the women was, she cared not. She hoped the foul little wretch had gone and staked himself on a spike somewhere.

The idea of a 'spike' had Drusilla in tears once again. Oh where Oh where had her darling knight gone. The whispers were silent, the expanse black. She could neither feel him nor hear him out there. Neither him, nor her little golden one. They were lost in the void, lost where she couldn't find them, couldn't catch them. Oh why Oh why had the One deserted her? Where were her lovely boys? Where were all her lovely dreams? Where had it all gone?

"All gone...All gone," She muttered sadly, "All gone..Like smoke." she giggled manically even as her eyes filled with tears. "Gone..Gone. Flew away they did. My little bright birds, into the sun where I can't follow."

Too soon. Too soon for her liking Dru felt a familiar prickling in her spine. Dramatically, always mindful of an 'audience', she threw her arm up and clutch the side of her head, scrunching her face in a painful grimace. 'He's back' 'So much for the hope he'd staked himself,' she mused.

She quickly arranged herself, tragically onto the old mattress that Connor had dubbed their 'bed'. She lay there in her best 'mourning pose' as to better await her wayward childe.

She felt her him approach. Soon she noticed his presence was accompanied by the delicious aroma of blood. Fresh Human Blood. But even as her mouth watered, she would not give in. She was far older than he and the one in control here. ' If he thinks this pittance of an offering will save him, he had better rethink himself again' she giggled inwardly, but outwardly she was as cold and as solid as stone.

'It will take a whole sea of virgin blood to redeem him, as well as the return of my treasure.'
"My treasures", she moaned quietly.

Connor frowned. 'She think of them again' Carefully he lowered his offering to the ground. Slowly, gently Conner approached. He laid down beside her on the makeshift bed. "Mother, Please. You need to eat. Need to keep your strength up. Please. Please eat mother. Please. Let me.. Let me care for you."

"If you cared for me you would have left me with my knight." Drusilla sobbed, " And.. and my beautiful little bobble." She cried.

"Them. Them again." Connor spoke calmly even as the storm clouds rolled through his soul. His eyes flecked gold and then red as the anger stirred within him. "Why is it them you always speak of? Why is it them you are so concerned for. I am here. Me! Connor! I, who love and care and provide for you.."

"Ohh. Provide for me do you?" Drusilla spat as she quickly rose. "This is provision?" she said as her hand waved slowly around the room. "An old shack in the middle of nowhere. No comforts. No beautiful things. No jewels With only my miss Edith to comfort me. My Spike would have provided better. I would have my treasures. My beautiful things. My beautiful dresses with beautiful dollies in them for me to feast upon. YOU! You bring me pittance from off the side of the swine pen."

Connor sighed and hung his head. Try and try as he may he always seemed to fail her somehow. Fail her as he had failed his foster father. His True father. The man who raised him and taught him to be strong. He had failed him,and now he has failed Dru. Would he ever be good enough? Would he ever earn her love? A love solely for him?

His sullen 'whipped puppy' look only served to further infuriate Drusilla. She frowned at him.

"Is this what kind of man you are?", she sneered as she turned to face him. "Cowering and whimpering like an abandoned bitch? My Spike was a real man. He at least would lash out in a drunken violent rage as he wallowed in his self pity. But you. Look how pathetic you are! Son of Angelus indeed".

Connor's head shot up at the mention of his bastards 'fathers' name. His eyes flashed gold as he glared at the woman.

If Drusilla notice she didn't seem to care much. She continued her game of berating and taunting her lover. She moved around to turn her back on the man"Daddy would have taken care of me. For the good and the bad. Daddy would have rewarded me with treats and pleasures if I had been good. If I had been naughty girl daddy would have punished me right proper." She giggled, "although some of his punishments could be pleasing too. He was a man who knew how to take what he wanted, in pleasure and pain. Torture and pleasing pleasing and torture, such a fine line between the pleasure and pain and it all blurs together. Blur together in colors of yellows and purples and reds.. So much red, like blood. So much blood, 'specially if you do it proper...."

Dru's hysterical laughter and insane ranting was drowned out by the rage building inside the man. Connor could hear no sounds except the rush of his own anger thundering in his ears, exploding his brain with a nuclear force. How dare she compare him to Angelus. That bastard. A creature that felt only for himself. Acted for only his own befit. Survived only through luck and by surrounding himself with more able companions through which he could bully, but also hide behind. How dare she compare that creature to a man like Connor? A true survivor? A true champion?

The rage Connor felt over took him. With gleaming red eyes, Connor grabbed the still babbling Drusilla from behind and forced down onto the mattress. Drusilla struggled for a moment out of reflex. An old memory, one buried inside under the vampire, under the insanity. A fragment of what once was a young human girl struggled against being forcibly taken.

The resistance fueled Connor's desire. She was weak from stress and hunger and it was easy, so easy, for Connor to overtake her, pinning her arms underneath her with his weight as he held her. Easy to take and so much fun. His breathed labored in ragged gasps from struggle and desire. He was so so hard, he ached. It had been so long since he had shared pleasure with his dark goddess. It had been even longer since he had forced his pleasures onto another.

He forced Drusilla down onto the mattress and pinned her beneath him. Mindless in his need he grabbed her dress and ripped it off. He kept her pinned beneath him, oblivious to her continued efforts to fight him. He simply stared and admired her body. Her creamy thighs, her pearl white buttocks, the hint of dark hair the surrounded her cunt. Her lushes breasts that lied on her bountifully even as they were pressed into the mattress.

Still subduing her, he reach with one hand and began to grabbed at her breast. "Your so beautiful. MY goddess. Mine! No one else. I'm going to show you. I'm going to make you feel it. I'm going to wipe away the memory of all others tonight!"

Connor's hands groped at her body, Touching and folding as much skin as he could manage as quickly as he could manage. He licked and kissed and bit and he touched her. He couldn't get enough of her. Her skin, her taste her scent. For as now her struggled were subsiding and he could smell her arousal rising. A part of him became disappointed even as another rejoiced at the submission. He would have liked the battle to last longer. He would have like to enter her forcibly. Show her who the man was.

Soon his need grew mindless and he no longer cared if she was willing of not. But he wanted her to know who was here. Who was doing these things to her. Who had subdued and excited her. Who had won.

He shoved her legs apart and entered her though the rectum. Her asshole was so tight that he almost climax upon entering. He savored the feeling. Savored the slight smell of arousal and blood that his entrance into her has cause. He fondled a breasts with one hand as he yanked her head up by her hair with another.

"Who is doing this. Who is here. Who is it you love?." Even as he felt her give in to him, she was still stubborn. She refused to answer. He clawed and pinched at her nipple. He hard her gasp. He pulled all the way out and rammed into her dry hole, starting to slick with her blood. He heard her squeak and then moan.

"Who!" he demanded.

"Connor. My Connor. My boy. My love"

"Damn right!" He sneered and he continued to pound her from behind. The pleasures he was feeling were indescribable. His hand on her head was now more of a caress that a force, but still it held her face firmly down, reminding her who was dominant, who was in charge. She was responding to him eagerly now. Reveling in his kisses and his bites, and the movement of his tongue on her skin. Rejoicing the his wandering hands clawing at her body. He was coming closer and closer to coming. He could her moans, and groans and cries of pleasure, but knew she needed more. She needed a push over the edge into bliss. He had provided the pain, but she needed a bit more pleasure.

Should he deny her? Deny her as she had him? It would serve her right. He pulled at her hair again, yanking her face up. "Should I let you come?, ". He whispered in her ear. He licked her and whispered again, "Or should I simple take my own pleasure and leave you?"

"No." She whimpered quietly.

"What was that mother? Be sure now in your answer. I wouldn't want to misinterpret you at such a..pinnacle moment."

"No. Don't leave. Don't leave me." She asked.

"Do you want to come", He asked.

"Yes." She whispered.

"I don't think you want it bad enough, or you'd be..nicer in your asking. What is the magic word? What do all good little girls say." At her hesitation, he added, "You don't want me to leave do you?"

"Please." She whispered quietly.

"What was that mother? I didn't quite her you?" He asked as he pounded her.

"Please. Please Connor. Please fuck me. Please let me come. Please don't leave me."

Connor would have liked to make her beg longer, but he needed his released. The hand not on her head wandered around to pinch her clit. Drusilla came hard, ripping at the mattress while crying out her pleasure. Moment after she shrieked Connor came with a shout.

The lied there for a moment. Connor pulled out of her. He walked across the room to grab a towel and a clean dress. Drusilla was sitting upright on the blood stained mattress when he returned.

He threw the garments at her, "Now clean up and then eat. If dinner is cold it's your own fault, so no more complaining for today. Understand?"

She looked at him and for a brief second defiance flashed in her eyes. But she rose slowly clutching the clothes. "Yes Connor." she said.

And so they ate, and then Connor fucked her again and again throughout the night. Making up for lost time, reminding her of what she had, and what she had to lose.

The hour grew late as both vampires collapsed onto the mattress in exhaustion. Falling into a deep sleep.

Neither saw a shadow in the corner of the room, coming into vision as the rising sun brightened the land. The blond shadow look upon the couple, upon the man in tears.

"Oh Connor.", the shadow whispered, "I know there is good in you. My poor sweet baby. I know all is not lost. I don't care what they say. You did right once. You will again. I have faith. You can be spared You will be saved." She vowed as she disappeared into the light.

Neither vampire heard her.

Ch 13. Lessons

Faith. She had faith. They'd find the traitors. They'd find the boy.... They would succeed. The heavens will weep as the streets flow with blood and all hell will be uncovered on earth. Yes! All will cower in fear as they rage and battle and conquer...

Right after lunch.

The witch smiled as she heard a knock. She ushered in the room service cart and summarily dismissed the humans without so more than a few curt words. They were beneath her and should know as such. All soon would be her servants. Her slaves. All would be under the rule of the dark power. Under her rule.

She enjoyed her breakfast of flaky crepes in a crushed grape demi-glaze sauce with fresh fruits and fluffed cream.

"Hmm." she intoned.

The room in which she resided was equipped with the finest of elegance. The freshest softest linens of silk. Beds and pillows and blankets of soft quill feathers. Fine regal furnishings. Only the best pent house suite in a more 'civilized' portion of the world would do. She deserved pampering after her hellish ordeal. Those months in that pit with those wretched vampires and that whinny boy. Her body and spirit had been severely impoverished. She had even broken a nail or two. Such pity.

She deserved the best after her suffering, after her torment To compensate her for her ordeal, after all. And her money, formally 'daddy's money. bought her the best. A great deal of the best. Whoever claimed that evil never prospered were fools and certainly didn't know daddy. Evil prospers every day.

And she would prosper, and live in luxury as she should. She would have the life befitting a queen, a goddess.

"You are not a goddess...yet..."

'Damn.", she thought. The witch wasn't foolish enough to think that this repast would last forever. Soon the 'one' would demand she return to service. She had hoped for a little more time.

"You." She addressed the shadow, "You ignore me when I call, and then come when you are not asked."

"I am a servant of the 'One'. I am always there. But I am at the indenture of the power, and not at your sufferance." It replied.

"Always there hmm? Where you there when that little shit tried to gut me?"

"Such language Petal?"

"Where you?" She demanded.

"I am always there and not there."

"A little warning . Perhaps a move away or duck would be prudent for next time someone tries to gut me like a common Christmas goose." the witch said dryly.

The shadow smiled. "I will not bore you with explanations. You know well what is 'permitted' and what is beyond control. I will say this. When I taught you to keep your enemies close, up your cunny was not what I had in mind."

"Did you think that was be reserved for you? You pathetic old fool. Reduced to being the piss boy for a greater being. How the mighty have fallen."

The shadow continued to smile. "Now Petal. Now's not the time to bait me. There is serious work to be done. You have..taken your sabbatical..long enough. We trust by now that you have some news of the traitors? Of the boy?."

The witch grimaced and turned away, "I have the matters well in hand."

The shadow crept closer, still smiling with his sinister smile. He looked upon the room. Swept a light graze of his hand across the fine cloth of the sofa. "I can see how you are handling 'matters', but as of late the only things you had in your hands was the cock of the pool boy."

"Why YOU INSULENT !"

"Oh sorry, "He corrected, "Should I say mouth, or perhaps cunt. If you will excuse my..vulgarity."

"You DARE speak to me in this manner! I the chosen one! I am the prophet of the one! You puny little piss boy!"

"Now Petal," He crooned, "Be nice."

" If you are so knowledgeable in affairs! Then why don't you, and the One! Find them on your own! You can't can you? Because, YOU.. NEED...ME!!!

"Do not further test the patience of the great Power!" The shadow warned, " The First will have the boy, will stop the prophecy. Evil will always find a way. If not you, there would be another. Will it is true our efforts in finding the traitor and the boy are being, trifled with, as are yours. But they cannot run forever. Cannot hide for much longer. Sooner or later the boy and the man will be reclaimed. Your pridefulness. Your vanity. Your self inflated importance have been tolerated quite enough. You will leave this place. You will find and bind the traitors. You will find and secure the man and the boy. You will deliver them to the First for judgement. You will do this Now, but first you will stand and receive punishment for your insolence..and you will..appreciate it.." He said as his smiled broadened .

The witch was beside herself with anger. "You Hideous..Little.Troll! You..You.. Tiny..Festering Hemorrhoid! How Dare you! I am Queen! I am Goddess! I am the chosen champion of the First! The Restorer of the way. How Dare you come here with talks of punishments.. I should banish you to the seventh underworld of Hell and have Canis chew on your blackened soul for an eon! You Puny diseased worm!..; You.."

And so the witch ranted on and on. So much so she didn't notice the movement of the figure, as the man crept closer and closer. She also didn't notice that her shadow..Had a shadow.

Do she was caught unaware and unprepared as her shadow grabbed her, over powered her and bent her over the coach. She tried to struggle, but her powers seemed to have left her. He ripped at her clothes as he whispered in "Ahh Petal, It is a father's job to 'discipline' his child. Now don't fight, so much nicer when you don't fight. Just..give in.. to daddy. The Power's have authorized this discipline. Your 'talents' will be restored. When I am though..'punishing' you. So be a good..good girl and ..give in to daddy."

And so she did. She once again endured his kisses. His tongue and his lips upon her skin. His thrusting inside of her. His moans of estacy. She did not struggle. She did not cry. To do so would admit defeat and weakness, and this she would never do. Instead she left herself and formulated her plans of revenge. On the vampire traitors. And the man..and even the boy. They would suffer as she suffered now. Even the boy. Especially that beautiful, smooth skinned boy. Oh she wouldn't kill them. But she would make them pay. Pay in flesh and in blood, and in..humiliation.

And lastly she thought as she heard his shout of completion, she would find a way to destroy her 'father' once and for all.

A great plan.
A great 'lesson'.
She had leaned a great deal.
She would not soon forget.