Chapter 13

Angel was in his office looking out the window and thinking about things. He was lost in his thoughts, when he heard a voice behind him. “You’re still hooked on her, aren’t you?” Angel turned around at the familiar voice that he never thought he would hear again.

“Cordy?” He said as he walked over to her. “You’re awake? When did this happen?” Cordelia shook her head and walked closer to him.

“I can’t stay long. I only came to talk to you.” Angel still couldn’t believe that she was standing in front of him, looking just as beautiful as he remembered. “I see how much you still love Buffy, but you have to let her go. This isn’t healthy for you, Angel.” Angel seemed to come out of his reverie when she spoke again.

“Why does everyone keep telling me that? I will always love Buffy, but I’m not in love with her anymore. I realize that now. I accepted her being with Spike, even though I didn’t like it at first. I realize that it’s how things are supposed to be and I’m okay with it.” Cordelia nodded.

“Well, that’s good to know. It’s nice that you and Connor are getting along now. I always knew you two could work things out.” Angel nodded also.

“He’s not the same person anymore and neither am I. It looks like he might have a girlfriend now. I just want what’s best for him.” He explained.

“I know that, I just wanted to tell you how proud I am of you. Even though taking over Wolfram and Hart wouldn’t have been my first choice, I understand. I get what you’re trying to do here.” She walked closer to him and touched his cheek. “I love you, Angel. I always will.” Angel leaned into her hand.

“I love you, too. I really missed you, Cordy.” Cordelia dropped her hand and gave him a soft smile.

“I missed you, too. I have to go now.” Angel didn’t like the sound of that.

“Why can’t you stay?” Cordelia shook her head.

“This isn’t my place, Angel. I don’t belong here. I’m meant to do greater things and so are you, but this time you’re going to have to do them without me.” Angel felt tears in his eyes and he didn’t care if she saw them.

“I don’t think I can.” Cordelia then kissed him on the lips for the last time. He kissed her back with all the love he still felt for her. She pulled away and rested her head on his.

“Yes, you can. You have Buffy to help you now. She’s your link, Angel. You don’t need me anymore, but I’ll always be with you in here.” She said as she touched his heart and he put his hand over hers. She pulled away from him and he turned to look out the window again. When he turned back, he saw that she was gone. He then got the phone call that would change everything forever.


* * * * *


Buffy walked into Angel’s office later that night and found him sitting at his desk deep in thought. He didn’t even look up when he heard her come in. “I’m sorry about Cordelia.” She said and he then looked at her.

“I guess you know.” She nodded and walked closer to his desk.

“I kinda heard. I’m sorry; we were all hoping that she would wake up.” Angel nodded also and stood up.

“I saw her. She came to me before it happened and we talked. I thought it was really her, but I guess it couldn’t have been.” Buffy placed her hand on his shoulder in comfort.

“What did she say?” Angel looked at her and was grateful that she believed that he really did see Cordelia.

“She said she loved me and that she was proud. Things won’t be the same without her.” Buffy nodded.

“You really loved her, didn’t you?” Angel didn’t even have to think about it as he nodded also. “I’m glad she was here for you.” He gave her a smile.

“Thank you, so how was your night?” He asked her changing the subject and she shrugged.

“It was okay. Spike got into a fight, but that’s nothing new.” Angel rolled his eyes.

“What happened now?” He asked.

“He caught some guy looking at me in the wrong way and when the guy didn’t back off, he hit him. He really needs to control that temper. I could have handled that guy. I probably shouldn’t have dressed like that; I didn’t realize it was so bad. Did you think it was bad?” Angel looked away from her.

“I didn’t really notice it.” Buffy accepted his answer and decided to change the subject again.

“Are you going to be okay?” Angel looked back at her and nodded.

“Yeah, I’ll be fine. I have other things to worry about.” Buffy agreed and gave him a smile. Her smile then faded as she looked at Angel.

“Angel, you might have to catch me again.” She said and Angel looked confused, until he saw the look on her face and grabbed her as another vision took over. She was holding her head the whole time and when she put her hands down, she had a scared look on her face.

“What is it, Buffy?” He asked her and her voice shook as she answered him.

“Oh god, it’s Dawn!” She stated before she passed out.


* * * * *


Buffy woke up in a bed and saw that she was in her room. She shot up when she remembered the vision she had. “Dawn!” She exclaimed and Spike who was laying next to her, grabbed her before she could go anywhere.

“It’s okay, Buffy.” He said and she turned to look at him like she was just noticing that he was there.

“I have to find her, she’s in trouble.” Spike tried to calm her down and lay her back on the bed.

“She’s fine, pet. After you passed out from your vision, Angel and Wesley went to go look for her. They found her and Connor fighting a group of vampires and they managed to hold their own. Don’t worry about it. Connor was able to protect her until they got there. She came back safe and sound.” Buffy sighed in relief. “How’s your head?” He asked her and she turned to look at him.

“It doesn’t hurt as much; I think I’m getting used to it.” Spike sighed.

“I really wish you didn’t have to get used to it. Do you really think all of this was worth it?” Buffy wondered what he was talking about.

“What do you mean?” Spike sat up before he spoke again.

“I mean you could have been finished, Buffy. You could have been back in Heaven and instead you chose to come back here and have to deal with these visions. I see how much they’re hurting you.” Buffy sat up also which caused her to feel dizzy, but she shook off the feeling.

“If I get to be here with you, then it was worth it. I can handle pain, been doing it for a long time now. I’ll be okay, Spike. There are too many things I would have given up on if I chose to go to Heaven. I realized that I’m not ready for that. I think I made the right choice. Why, do you not want me here?” Spike shook his head.

“I love having you here. You know that. I just don’t like seeing you in pain.” Buffy moved closer to him and gave him a soft kiss on the lips.

“I’ll be fine. We’re together and that’s all that matters. Promise you’ll never leave me again, Spike.” She whispered and he kissed her on the forehead.

“I promise, you’re stuck with me.” Buffy smiled at that.

“I could get used to that. I love you.” He smiled back at her.

“I could definitely get used to that.” He replied as he lay back down and pulled Buffy down with him. She rested her head on his chest and they both fell into a peaceful sleep.