Chapter 10

Xander walked into the house and found Buffy, Spike, and Willow sitting on the couch all with sad expressions on their faces. “Hey, how is she doing?” He asked and Buffy looked up at him.

“She hasn’t left her room in a few days. She’s hardly eating and she won’t really talk to anyone. It’s like how it was when mom died. I’m really worried about her.” Buffy said and Spike put his arm around her in comfort.

“I think someone should try and talk to her. Dawny needs to open up; it’s not healthy to keep everything inside.” Willow explained and Buffy nodded as she stood up.

“I’ll do it.” She said as she went upstairs, leaving everyone to stare after her.


* * * * *


Buffy got to Dawn’s room and knocked on her door. She let herself in when she didn’t hear anything. She found Dawn lying on her bed and facing away from her. Buffy sighed as she walked over and sat down by her. She took a deep breath before she spoke. “I’m so sorry, Dawn.” She said and Dawn turned to look at her after a few seconds.

“Why would you be sorry?” Buffy looked at her sister and could tell that she has been crying.

“It’s my fault that she’s dead. She died saving my life, it should have been me.” Buffy said quietly and Dawn shook her head as she sat up.

“No, she made the right choice. She died so you could live, so your child could live. It was the bravest thing I’ve ever seen. She would want us all to be happy. I’m sorry I’ve been shutting everyone out. I just hate having everyone I love die. I don’t think I can take anymore.” Dawn stated as tears continued to fall down her face. Buffy had tears forming in her eyes also as she hugged her sister.

“She’s in a better place now. We have to believe that, Dawny. Mom will look out for her.” She felt Dawn nod and she kissed the top of her head as she pulled away. “You should get some rest.” Buffy said as Dawn nodded again and lay back down. Buffy took one more look at her sister before she left her room. She rested her head on the door and touched her stomach as tears fell down her face. “I’ll never leave you, baby. I promise you, I’ll never leave.” She whispered as she then headed back downstairs to the others.


* * * * *


Dawn was still lying in bed when she realized she couldn’t fall asleep. She got up and went to her CD collection. She found the CD she was looking for and walked over to her stereo. She put the CD in and found the song that she wanted. Dawn pushed play and lay back in her bed as the song started. She then let a small smile grace her lips. “This one’s for you, Alyssa.” She whispered as she listened to the song and finally drifted off to a peaceful sleep.


You don't run with the crowd
You go your own way
You don't play after dark
You light up my day
Got your own kind of style
That sets you apart
Baby, that's why you captured my heart

I know sometimes you feel like you don't fit in
And this world doesn't know what you have within
When I look at you


I see something rare
A rose that can grow anywhere

And there's no one I know that can compare

What makes you different


Makes you beautiful
What's there inside you

Shines through to me
In your eyes I see

All the love I'll ever need
You're all I need, oh girl
What makes you different

Makes you beautiful to me

You got something so real
You touched me so deep
See material things
Don't matter to me
So come as you are
You've got nothing to prove
You won me with all that you do
And I wanna take this chance to say to you

What makes you different


Makes you beautiful
What's there inside you

Shines through to me
In your eyes I see

All the love I'll ever need
You're all I need, oh girl
What makes you different

Makes you beautiful

You don't know how you touched my life
Oh, in so many ways I just can't describe
You taught me what love is supposed to be
You saw the little things that make you beautiful to me

What makes you different


Makes you beautiful

What's there inside you

Shines through to me
In your eyes I see

All the love I'll ever need
You're all I need, oh girl
What makes you different

Makes you beautiful to me

Everything you do is beautiful
Love you give shines right through me


Everything you do is beautiful
Oh, you're beautiful to me



* * * * *


5 years later...

Buffy walked into the house and took her coat off, placing it on the coat rack. She walked into the kitchen and smiled at her sister when she saw her there. “Hey, what are you doing here?” Dawn returned her smile.

“Taking a break from the dorm life. My roommate is throwing another one of her parties and I would actually prefer the quiet right about now.” Buffy nodded.

“That’s perfectly understandable. So, how are things going at college?” Dawn shrugged.

“It’s going good, kinda exhausting.” She said and Buffy gave her a smile.

“Right, so how are things with James?” Dawn rolled her eyes.

“Things are fine, if you must know. We’re going out tomorrow night. I told him to pick me up here. My roommate likes to hit on him when he picks me up at the dorm and I would like to avoid that.” Buffy laughed.

“That’s fine, but you do know that he’s gonna have to deal with the wrath of Spike.” Dawn let out a sigh.

“I would rather deal with that, believe it or not.” Buffy nodded when she then heard someone running down the stairs. She smiled when her little girl walked into the kitchen.

“Mommy!” She exclaimed as she ran over to Buffy, who picked her up.

“Hey, sweetie. Shouldn’t you be in bed right now?” The girl nodded when Spike then walked in the kitchen.

“I tried to put her to bed, but that one is stubborn. Just like her mum.” He said with a smile. “She wanted to see you first.” Buffy smiled also and walked over to her husband, giving him a quick kiss on the lips.

“It’s the thought that counts, honey. I’ll put her to bed and be right back.” She said as she walked upstairs with her daughter. She placed her in bed when she got to her room and tucked her in. “You haven’t been giving daddy a hard time while mommy was at work, have you?” The child shook her head and let a yawn out. “I see someone is tired.” The little girl yawned again and looked at her mother.

“I love you, mommy.” She whispered and Buffy gave her a smile.

“I love you, too, baby.” Buffy stated and the little girl rubbed her eyes.

“We go to park tomorrow?” She wondered and Buffy nodded.

“Yes, so you better get a good night’s sleep.” She kissed her daughter on the forehead. “Sweet dreams, Alyssa.” She whispered to her when she saw that the child was falling asleep. She looked at her one more time before she headed out of the room and back downstairs. She found Spike and Dawn laughing in the kitchen. “What’s so funny?” She asked and Dawn shook her head.

“It’s nothing; I forgot to tell you that I spoke to Willow today. It looks like her and Xander are having a good time in England with Giles. They wanted to know if maybe we could head up there next week for a visit. I said I would have to ask you first.” Buffy thought about it and nodded.

“Okay, that sounds good. I think I can get some time off. Someone needs to watch Alyssa though; I don’t think she’s quite ready for a plane yet.” Buffy said.

“Anya can watch her. She loves doing it.” Dawn replied and Buffy nodded again. She couldn’t believe that she forgot about Anya. She has really changed in the last few years and she loved being around Alyssa.

“Alright, it’s all settled then. We should probably head to bed now.” Buffy said to Spike, who only nodded. Dawn told them goodnight as they both headed up to bed. They lay down in bed when they got to their room. Spike pulled her closer to him and she rested her head on his chest. “I love you, Spike.” She whispered and he smiled and kissed the top of her head.

“I love you, sweetheart. Get some sleep. We have a big day tomorrow.” Buffy nodded and closed her eyes. Spike kissed her on the top of the head again when he knew that she was asleep. He watched his girl a while longer as she slept and a smile graced his lips. He couldn’t remember ever being so happy. He had a loving wife and a beautiful little girl, which was more than he ever thought he would have. His family meant the entire world to him. He stopped his thoughts when he finally noticed something that he never noticed before. He listened closely as he looked at Buffy and it was then that he knew what was different. He could hear two heartbeats. Spike smiled again when he realized that Buffy was pregnant. He put his hand over her stomach and wondered if she knew. Well, if she didn’t know yet she would soon. He finally closed his eyes and let sleep claim him, his hand still on his wife’s stomach. His last thought was that he couldn’t be any happier.

The End


The song was “What Makes You Different (Makes You Beautiful)” by the Backstreet Boys. I think it really worked. Thanks to those that reviewed=)