Chapter 2

“Tell me something, pet. Why’s a pretty girl like you trying to kill herself?” Alyssa blushed at his comment. She never thought that she was pretty. She thought she was short and way too skinny. She was pale and had long, black hair. She wore a lot of black also and people would think that she was a Goth because of the way she looked, which led to them thinking she was a freak. If they only knew.

“I just couldn’t deal with my life anymore.” She told him.

“It’s that bad?” She nodded as they continued to walk.

“I ran away from home and I’m not going back. My dad wouldn’t even miss me anyway.” She said in a sad tone and Spike felt for her.

“I’m really sorry, pet. Why don’t you come stay with me? I mean until we figure something else out. I’m sure the lady of the house won’t mind.” Alyssa was surprised that he would ask her to stay with him.

“Are you married?” She asked him and he laughed and shook his head.

“No, I just live with my girlfriend and her family. She took me in when I had nowhere else to go, so I know she would do the same for you. She’s sweet like that.” He said with a smile. Alyssa looked at his face when he was talking about his girlfriend and could tell that he really loved her. She wondered if she would ever find that. She then realized that she didn’t even know his name.

“What’s your name?” She asked suddenly and he looked at her.

“It’s Spike, what’s yours?” He replied.

“Alyssa,” she stated when she thought of something and laughed. He was surprised to hear her laugh all of a sudden.

“What’s so funny?” She shook her head.

“It’s just that my counselor at school was talking to her boyfriend, Spike on the phone today. I didn’t think that was a very common name.” Spike smiled at her.

“Would that counselor be Buffy Summers?” Alyssa nodded a little surprised and Spike continued. “Yeah, that would be my girl.” He told her and she was surprised again that the man that saved her was her counselor’s boyfriend. She felt a little better about that knowing that Buffy would want to help her because it was what she did. They finally got to Buffy’s house and he opened the door and let her inside first, closing the door after he walked inside. “Honey, I’m home.” He said because he knew how much that annoyed Buffy, but he continued to do it anyway. Buffy rolled her eyes as she came downstairs.

“I told you to quit it with that.” She said when she noticed that Alyssa was there also. “Alyssa, what are you doing here?” She asked and Alyssa didn’t know what to say, when Spike spoke up first.

“This one ran away from home and didn’t want to go back, so I said she could stay here for right now. That is if it’s okay with you.” He said and Alyssa was grateful that he didn’t mention her suicidal attempt. Buffy nodded as she looked at Alyssa.

“Of course, is everything okay?” She asked her and Alyssa nodded also and managed a small smile.

“It’s getting better.” She said and Buffy gave her a smile in return, when Dawn then came down the stairs. Her eyes grew big when she saw Alyssa there.

“Hey, what’s going on?” She wondered and Alyssa felt nervous in Dawn’s presence. Buffy explained to her the situation and Dawn nodded and then smiled at Alyssa. “That’s cool; you can stay in my room.” She said as she put her arm around Alyssa and led her to the stairs. “We can have a slumber party every night.” Buffy turned back to Spike when both teenagers were gone and saw the concerned expression on his face.

“What really happened, Spike?” She asked and he sighed before he answered her.

“I found her about to jump off of a cliff. I managed to talk her out of it, but it got really scary for a second there.” Buffy couldn’t believe that it was that bad.

“Oh god, I mean when she talked to me I could tell that things were pretty hard for her. I had no idea she was that depressed. Do you know what’s wrong?” Spike shook his head.

“Didn’t get much out of her. I guess it has something to do with her dad. She wouldn’t tell me much.” Buffy nodded.

“Maybe I should try and talk to her, but that can wait until tomorrow. She’s probably really tired right now.” Spike nodded also and put his arm around Buffy.

“We should probably head to bed, too.” He said as he kissed her forehead and she agreed. They headed up the stairs, when Buffy thought of something and smiled. She decided to lighten up the mood.

“So, what was it like to walk in on Xander in the shower?” She asked and Spike glared at her question.

“Now, is that never speaking of it again? I’m trying to get the image out of my head.” Buffy laughed.

“I have ways to get the image out of your head.” She said in a seductive tone and he raised his eyebrows at her.

“Is that right? Well, we better get on that then.” He stated as he grabbed her hand and pulled her into their room. Buffy laughed again as he closed the door.


* * * * *


Alyssa headed to Buffy’s office the next day and found her getting off of the phone. She smiled when she saw her. “Hey, I’m glad you’re here. I have to tell you something.” Alyssa sat down and took a deep breath.

“It’s about my dad, isn’t it? He’s gonna try and make me come home?” Buffy shook her head.

“Actually I just found out that your dad is missing. Well, not missing so much as gone. It looks like he left. I called the police and told them about your situation and they sent a few guys over to your house to talk to your dad. He wasn’t there and most of his stuff was gone, so they figured he left town.” Alyssa took everything in and nodded.

“I guess he didn’t care about me coming home. I figured he wouldn’t anyway. He’s probably just happy that he doesn’t have to deal with me anymore.” She said trying to sound confident, but Buffy could tell that she was hurting.

“I’m really sorry, Alyssa. Do you have any other family nearby?” Alyssa shook her head.

“Not that I know of. It has just been me and my dad.” She replied.

“What about your mom?” Alyssa was saddened for a moment before she answered.

“My mom died when I was little. I don’t really remember her all that much.” Buffy sympathized with her.

“I’m sorry; I know how much that sucks. Well, you’ll just have to stay with us now. If you want that of course. I could always find another home or something.” Alyssa shook her head again.

“No, I mean I would really love to stay with you. I promise I won’t be in the way. People hardly seem to notice me much anyway.” Buffy nodded and again felt bad for this girl.

“I’m sure it won’t be a problem. It might be good for Dawn to have someone her own age around.” Alyssa smiled and nodded also. She was really starting to like Dawn and she was the first person in the school to really be nice to her. “I guess I’ll let you get back to class now. Don’t forget that you can always come and talk to me about anything, okay? That’s what I’m here for.” Alyssa nodded again and stood up.

“Thanks, Buffy. I really mean that, thanks for everything.” Buffy smiled as Alyssa walked away. She was really starting to like her job and it sure as hell beat flipping burgers.