Chapter 3

Alyssa was at her locker later that day, when someone slammed it shut. She turned to see Eric Saunders, one of the football players standing there with a twisted smirk on his face.

“Sorry about that. Your locker was just in my way.” Alyssa ignored him and walked away, when he grabbed her arm. “Hey, I don’t think I was done talking to you yet. That’s just rude.” Alyssa noticed that a crowd of students surrounded them as she pulled her arm out of his grasp.

“I have to get to class.” She said and he just smiled at her.

“Right, of course. I’ll let you do that.” He stated as he moved out of her way and she tried to walk by him, when he suddenly put his foot out and tripped her. She tried to keep her balance, but it was no use and she fell onto the floor. The students around her laughed as she got up. “Sorry, didn’t realize you were such a klutz.” Eric said as he laughed with them. Alyssa wouldn’t cry in front of everyone, even though she had the urge to. She wouldn’t give them that satisfaction. She grew angry instead as she stared daggers at Eric. His pants suddenly fell to the floor like they had a mind of their own and revealed his smiley face underwear. Everyone was now laughing at that as Eric grew embarrassed and pulled his pants up. He glared at Alyssa like she had something to do with it. She couldn’t stop the smile from gracing her lips and that made him even angrier. “You think this is funny, freak. I’ll give you something to laugh about.” He said as he walked closer to her and everyone was then interested to see what he would do, when someone else joined the crowd and stood next to Alyssa.

“Why don’t you leave her alone, Eric? She didn’t do anything to you.” Alyssa felt relieved when Dawn showed up and Eric wasn’t impressed.

“I don’t remember asking you, Summers. Why don’t you mind your own business?” Dawn crossed her arms over her chest.

“She’s my friend, so it is my business. Nice underwear by the way. Did your mommy pick them out for you?” Everyone laughed again except for Eric. He got in Dawn’s face.

“At least I have a mommy.” Dawn glared at him and wouldn’t let him know how much his comment hurt. He then looked at Alyssa one more time before turning his attention back to Dawn. “You freaks deserve each other.” He stated as he finally walked away. The crowd then drifted apart when they realized that it was over and Dawn sighed in relief as she looked at Alyssa.

“Are you okay?” She asked her with concern in her voice and Alyssa gave her a small smile.

“Yeah, thanks for that. That guy is such a jerk.” She said and Dawn agreed.

“Tell me about it.” She replied as she put her arm around Alyssa. “Come on; let’s get to class before we get into trouble.” Alyssa nodded as she walked away with Dawn.


* * * * *


“How long have you two been seeing each other?” Alyssa asked Spike later that night in the kitchen, while Buffy was out. She wanted to get to know her savior better.

“For about a month now, but we’ve known each other for years.” Alyssa nodded.

“Was it like a love at first sight thing?” Spike smiled at her.

“Yeah, something like that.” He said and Alyssa nodded again.

“That’s really cool; I can tell how much you guys really love each other. It’s great that you have that.” She replied and Spike agreed.

“You’ll have that soon, bit. You’re what, 15?” Alyssa shook her head.

“16,” she corrected.

“Okay, 16 then. What I mean is you’re still young. You have plenty of time to worry about that.” Alyssa shrugged.

“I guess.” She stated even though she wasn’t sure. He just pushed a plate in front of her.

“Eat your sandwich, love. We’ll talk later.” She nodded and did as he said. She was eating in silence, when the back door opened and Willow walked in. She smiled when she saw them.

“Hey, guys. What are you up to?” She wondered.

“We were just talking. You want a sandwich, Red?” Spike asked and Willow shook her head.

“I’m not really hungry. I was just gonna head upstairs. Getting kinda tired.” Spike nodded as Willow walked out of the kitchen. Alyssa finished her sandwich and got up to put the plate in the sink.

“I guess I better go join Dawn and get started on my homework.” She said as she gave Spike a smile before she left the kitchen also. Spike was cleaning up a few things, when the back door opened again and Buffy walked in. Spike looked up at her and saw how tired she seemed. She gave him a small smile and walked into the kitchen, limping a little in the process. He realized something as he looked at her and then walked closer to her.

“Where are you hurt?” He asked her.

“What are you talking about?” Spike rolled his eyes.

“I can smell your blood, Buffy. Did you really think I wouldn’t notice?” Buffy sighed and sat down as she lifted up her pants to show him a long, bloody gash on her leg. He inspected it before looking back at her. “What happened?” He wondered and she sighed again.

“I wasn’t paying attention, okay? I didn’t see the demon’s claws, until they were in my leg. I’m fine though and I killed the demon, so no worries.” Spike nodded and helped her up, even though he was still worried.

“You should probably take a bath.” He said as he helped her up the stairs. She turned to look at him.

“Are you saying that I stink?” He smirked at her.

“Well, now that you mention it.” She hit him playfully on the arm.

“I so don’t stink, mister. If you could handle the burger smell last year with no complaints, then you can handle anything.” Spike nodded.

“You’re right about that. You don’t stink; I just figured a bath would make you feel better.” Buffy nodded also and knew that was what he meant. They got to the bathroom and Buffy walked inside. She turned to look at Spike.

“Just so you know, I’m locking this door. I would rather bathe alone tonight.” She said as she closed the door, leaving him standing there to stare at it.

“Right, well I’ll just let you do that then.” He said as he sighed and walked away. He went to Dawn’s room to hear the girls talking and laughing inside. He smiled at that and was happy that they have become such good friends. He knew that Alyssa didn’t really have any and the girl needed a friend. She was a sweet girl and didn’t deserve the life that she had. She sometimes reminded him of himself when he was human. He didn’t really have any friends then either and he would always get teased for his poetry or just about anything really. He listened to them for a little while longer and then headed into Buffy’s room, which was now his room also. He just sat down on the bed and waited for her to be done with her bath, while he thought about how much his life has changed.