Chapter 4

A few days went by and things were starting to get better for Alyssa, now that she was living with Buffy. She really liked all of them and was grateful that she was staying at their house. Things were still hard for her at school, but she had friends now and knew that she could handle everything else. She was walking home with Dawn and they didn’t realize it was so late, until the sun went down. They were talking when Dawn stopped suddenly. Alyssa looked at her wondering what was wrong. “I thought I heard something.” Dawn said as they continued to walk again. “We should really get home fast; it’s really not safe to be out at night.” Dawn said and Alyssa wasn’t sure what she was talking about, when two vampires then appeared in front of them. Dawn tensed and Alyssa wondered what was wrong with their faces.

“Well, look what we have here. Two tasty little morsels.” The one on the left said as he licked his lips. The other one just smirked as he looked at the two girls. Dawn stepped in front of Alyssa.

“You better leave us alone.” She said and they laughed at her.

“This one’s got spunk; I think I’ll eat her.” The same vampire said as he lunged at Dawn and she screamed as she tried to fight him off. Alyssa didn’t know what to do, when the other vampire went after her. He grabbed her and she tried to hit him, but wasn’t having much luck. She was never that strong. He turned her head and lowered his fangs to her neck, when he suddenly flew away from her and landed on the ground. He looked up at her in confusion.

“What the hell was that?” He asked as he stood up. The other vampire continued with Dawn and didn’t seem to notice what happened with his friend, when Alyssa then turned her attention on him and he flew away from Dawn also and landed by the other vampire. Dawn’s eyes grew big when she saw what happened. The two vampires stared at Alyssa, when the same one spoke again. “Let’s get out of here. She’s some kind of witch.” He said as they took off in the other direction. Dawn didn’t know what to think as she looked at Alyssa.

“What just happened?” She asked and Alyssa didn’t know what to tell her.

“I’m sorry, I’ll understand if you don’t wanna be around me anymore.” She said as she started to walk away, when Dawn stopped her.

“No, I just wanna know how you did that. Are you a witch like he said?” Alyssa shook her head.

“Of course not, I didn’t even think witches were real. I didn’t think vampires were real either, but I guess I was wrong. Those were vampires, right?” Dawn nodded as they started walking again.

“So, if you’re not a witch then how did you do that?” Dawn wondered and Alyssa shrugged.

“I don’t know, it just happens. Whenever I get mad at something, I tend to be able to move things. It’s been like that for as long as I can remember.” She explained.

“Cool, so you’re like Carrie or something? Remind me not to piss you off.” Alyssa smiled and was surprised that Dawn was taking it so well.

“I’m pretty sure you’re safe. Do you deal with vampires a lot? I mean you didn’t seem to be freaked out by them or anything.” Dawn nodded.

“Yeah, you can say that. Let’s just say that living here, you see a lot of weird things. I’ve kinda gotten used to it.” She said.

“How come you don’t think I’m a freak?” Dawn looked at her new friend and sighed.

“I’m not exactly normal either. I know what it’s like to be treated like a freak. It’s not fun.” Alyssa agreed.

“Tell me about it. Do you think Buffy will not want me living with her anymore when she finds out?” Dawn laughed and stopped to look at Alyssa.

“Let me tell you something about us. Buffy became a Vampire Slayer when she was 15-years-old. She has wicked super strength and knows what it’s like to feel like a freak. Willow is a very powerful witch. Anya who you haven’t met yet is an ex-vengeance demon. I’m a former blob of green energy that was made into a human a few years ago. And Spike is a vampire. I think it’s safe to say that no one will kick you out of the house for being different.” Alyssa took everything in and was surprised at what Dawn was saying.

“Wow, I really picked the right group of people to hang out with.” Dawn nodded as they continued to walk again. “So, Spike’s a vampire? If Buffy’s a Vampire Slayer like you said, then how come he’s still around?” Dawn sighed.

“It’s very complicated. Let’s just say that Spike has a soul now. He’s been kinda good for a while and I guess now is when Buffy finally sees it.” Alyssa nodded and smiled.

“I’m glad to hear that. Spike is really cool.” Dawn smiled also and rolled her eyes.

“Do you have a crush on him?” Alyssa seemed surprised by that question and shook her head.

“I don’t have a crush on him. I just think he’s really nice and he’s kinda not my type anyway.” Dawn nodded.

“What is your type? Is there anyone you’re interested in at school? I mean I know there are a lot of jerks at school, but they’re not all that bad.” Alyssa looked at her and shook her head.

“No, there are definitely no guys that I’m interested in.” Dawn just nodded accepting her answer, when they finally got to their destination. They walked into the house and closed the door.


* * * * *


“Okay, try it again.” Dawn was telling Alyssa later that night. They were both in Dawn's room. Alyssa nodded and focused on the pencil again. She tried to concentrate, but it was no use. Alyssa sighed and turned to Dawn.

“I guess I have to get pissed off for it to work.” Dawn nodded.

“I’m sure you’ll learn to control it soon enough. It was hard for Willow at first, but she managed.” Alyssa nodded also and decided to try it one more time. She thought about the kids at school that always picked on her and her father and anything else that ever made her mad. After a few seconds, the pencil finally floated off of the desk. Alyssa smiled as she tried to keep it in control and Dawn smiled also. “That’s way cool.” She said when someone knocked on the door and Spike walked in, seeing the pencil in the air. That seemed to distract Alyssa and she lost control of the pencil as it soared through the room and right into Spike’s chest.

“Bloody hell!” Spike exclaimed as he pulled the pencil out because it didn’t go that far in. Alyssa got up and went over to him.

“I’m so sorry. I was trying to control it, but I guess I have a lot more work to do. At least it wasn’t the heart.” She said trying to make amends and Spike seemed surprised by that as he looked at Dawn.

“I take it she knows what I am.” He said and Dawn nodded.

“I kinda told her about everyone, so she wouldn’t feel bad. We were just trying to get her power under control.” Spike nodded and threw the pencil away.

“Just don’t try this one anymore, alright? You could poke someone’s eye out. Among other things.” Alyssa and Dawn agreed, when they then heard Buffy go into the bathroom and close the door. The next thing they heard was her throwing up. Spike cringed at the sound and Dawn looked concerned.

“Is she still throwing up?” She asked him.

“Seems like it, big sis hasn’t been feeling very well the last few days.” He explained.

“I think she needs to see a doctor, Spike. Buffy never gets sick, it could be something serious.” Spike sighed and rubbed his eyes.

“I already tried that, you know how she gets about doctors. She’s convinced herself that it’s nothing.” Dawn rolled her eyes.

“She’s stubborn, you’re gonna have to force her to go.” Spike was afraid of that.

“I’ll try again. It’s getting late. I want you two to get into bed while I check on Buffy. I mean it. I don’t wanna hear anymore noise coming from in here, got it?” The girls nodded as Spike walked out of the room and closed the door. Alyssa turned to Dawn.

“I know I don’t know much about vampires, but he has to be the strangest one.” She said and Dawn agreed.

“You have no idea. He’s a little too overprotective.” Alyssa nodded as they got ready for bed.

“Do you think Buffy will be okay?” Alyssa asked.

“Yeah, I’m sure it’s nothing like Buffy said. I hope so anyway.” Dawn told her and Alyssa didn’t say anything else as they both soon fell asleep.