Chapter 5

Spike opened the bathroom door and found Buffy sitting on the floor next to the toilet, with her head down. He walked over to her and she raised her head to look at him. “How are you feeling?” He asked as he sat down by her.

“Like I was run over by a freight train.” She said in a hoarse voice and Spike was really starting to get worried about her.

“I really think you need to see a doctor, Buffy. I’ll go with you if you want, but we need to get you checked out. Make sure everything’s okay.” Buffy sighed and knew he was right.

“Okay, I give up. I’ll make an appointment for this weekend.” He nodded and brushed some hair out of her face. She looked down and noticed something. “You’re bleeding.” She said and he looked down also.

“Yeah, a little incident with the girls. Nothing for you to worry about.” Buffy nodded as she put her hand over her mouth and moved back to the toilet. Spike held her hair back this time as she threw up again. She started to cry when she was finished. She hated feeling helpless. Spike rubbed her back in comfort and when she was sure that she was done throwing up, he helped her off of the floor and over to their room. They got into bed and lay down together. Spike pulled the covers over her, so she wouldn’t be cold. She rested her head on his chest as he ran his fingers through her hair.

“My mom used to hold my hair back when I was little. It’s times like this that I really miss her.” Spike nodded and kissed her on the top of her head.

“I know I can’t replace your mum, but I’m here for you. Whenever you need me.” Buffy was very grateful for that.

“I love you.” She said quietly and he could tell that she was starting to doze off.

“I love you, too.” He replied back as he made himself more comfortable and started to doze off with her.


* * * * *


Buffy and Spike came downstairs the next morning to see that Xander was already there and in the kitchen. He looked up when he saw them and seemed to be uncomfortable around Spike. Spike was in the same position when he saw Xander there. “Hey, man. How’s it going?” Xander said trying to make normal conversation.

“Fine, how are things with you?” Spike replied and Xander shrugged.

“Fine, just fine.” Buffy had to smile at both of them.

“Do you two wanna be left alone?” She asked.

“No!” They both exclaimed at the same time. They looked at each other and she had to smile again. Xander decided to change the subject.

“I just wanted to know if you guys needed a ride to the school.” Buffy nodded.

“That would be great, Xander. The girls should be down soon.” Spike looked at Buffy.

“Are you sure you should be going to work today?” Buffy let out a sigh.

“I feel better, Spike. Don’t worry about it, okay?” Spike nodded even though he was still worried. The girls then came downstairs and after a very fast breakfast, they headed out the door. Xander followed after them and Buffy looked at Spike one more time. “I might be back late today. You’ll be okay until then?” Spike nodded again and was touched at her concern for him.

“Yeah, I’ll see you when you get home.” Buffy smiled and gave him a quick kiss on the lips before she headed outside to Xander’s car. He sighed as he watched her go and then went back upstairs to get a few more hours of sleep.


* * * * *


A few days later and Spike was pacing back and forth in the living room. “I should be there with her.” He told the others.

“You couldn’t because it’s daylight. Buffy didn’t want to risk anything happening to you just so you could go to the appointment with her. You’ll just have to be patient and wait until she gets back.” Willow said and Spike turned a glare on her.

“I was never very patient. What if something’s wrong with her?” He said seriously.

“I’m sure Buffy’s fine, Spike. She wouldn’t want you to worry.” Willow said trying to calm him down and he nodded.

“I just hate this waiting around. It’s driving me bloody crazy.” Dawn and Alyssa were sitting down in silence not sure what to say, when the front door opened and Buffy walked in. Spike went to her immediately and stopped when he saw the look on her face. “What happened? Is everything alright?” He asked and she grabbed his arm and pulled him back into the living room. She looked at everyone and then turned to Willow.

“I think you need to call Xander and get him here.” Willow nodded and went to the phone, when Buffy called her back. “I think you should call Anya, too. I want everyone here.” Willow nodded again and walked away. Spike continued to be nervous.

“Buffy, what is it?” Spike asked again and Buffy tried to calm him down.

“I’ll tell everyone when they get here.” Spike wasn’t happy that he had to wait longer, but he nodded anyway.


* * * * *


Xander showed up about 15 minutes later and Anya a little after that. “Do I have to baby-sit Dawn again?” Anya asked getting right to the point and Dawn glared at her as she remained silent. Buffy just shook her head.

“Alright, so what’s going on? Did the doctor’s appointment not go well?” Xander asked and Buffy looked at everyone and took a deep breath before she spoke.

“It went fine, but there’s something I have to tell you all.” They nodded and waited for her to explain. She took another breath and just decided to tell them. “I’m pregnant.” She said very easily and was greeted by shocked expressions from everyone. They were all quiet when Dawn suddenly squealed and stood up, enveloping Buffy in a huge hug.

“Oh my god, Buffy! I’m gonna be an aunt! This is so cool!” Buffy hugged her back and was relieved at her sister’s excitement. Alyssa didn’t really know what to say, even though she was happy for Buffy. She figured it would be best to stay quiet.

“Congratulations, Buffy.” Willow said as she hugged her also, followed by Xander. Anya just smiled and patted Buffy on the back.

“Way to go, Buffy. That must have been one very good orgasm.” Alyssa spit out the water that she was drinking at what Anya said and Dawn went to pat her on the back as she started to choke.

“Sorry, we should have warned you about Anya. She tends to be like that.” Dawn explained and Alyssa nodded, but still remained quiet as her choking subsided. Buffy rolled her eyes and then turned her gaze on Spike, who hasn’t said anything since her announcement. She was really worried about what he would think of it.

“Well, I think that’s our cue to leave. Let’s go upstairs guys.” Willow said to the two teenagers as they nodded and headed up the stairs. Xander watched them go and then turned back to Buffy.

“Right, I’ll just go with them.” He said as he also headed for the stairs, when he noticed that Anya wasn’t moving. He went back and grabbed her arm, ignoring her scowl as he pulled her up the stairs leaving Buffy and Spike alone. Spike was still quiet after they left and she couldn’t take it anymore.

“Are you going to say anything?” She asked and he then looked up at her.

“Is it mine?” She was surprised by his question and then grew angry.

“No, it’s Xander’s. Of course it’s yours, dumbass. I haven’t been with anyone else.” Spike saw that he upset her and went over to her.

“I’m sorry, love. It’s just that last time I checked, I was a vampire. We’re not exactly capable of having children.” Buffy sighed.

“I don’t know how this happened, but it did. We’re going to have a baby and I need to know that you’re okay with this.” Spike wrapped his arms around her in a hug to assure her that he was.

“Of course I’m okay with it, just took by surprise is all. I can’t believe I’m going to be a father. I never thought this could happen to me. I don’t deserve it.” Buffy pulled away to look at him and noticed tears in his eyes.

“Yes, you do. You were robbed of ever having a real life. This is your second chance, Spike.” She said as she placed his hand on her stomach. “This is our second chance.” Spike smiled as he kissed her and brought his hand up to cup her face. He pulled away after a while to let her breathe.

“I love you.” He whispered and she smiled back at him.

“I love you, too. Don’t ever forget that.” He would never forget.