Chapter 6

Alyssa was sitting in the kitchen the next day floating a spoon. She was finally starting to get the hang of it, when Willow walked in. “Hey, you’re getting pretty good.” Alyssa dropped the spoon and blushed a little at the comment.

“I’m trying anyway.” Willow nodded and sat down next to her.

“Yeah, I first practiced on floating pencils. They weren’t always in my control, but I did manage to stake a vampire with one.” Alyssa flinched at the mention of that and again felt bad about the fact that she could have almost staked Spike. She was grateful she had such bad aim. “How did you realize you could do this anyway?” Willow asked and Alyssa shrugged.

“I just got mad a lot and things would happen. I didn’t really understand it at first. I think my mother could do it. That’s why my dad hated me so much.” She said with a sad tone, but continued her story anyway. “I don’t remember my mother all that well, but I remember hearing a lot of fighting when they thought I was sleeping. I would listen to them constantly argue. My dad didn’t like the fact that she was different. He called her a freak a lot and I don’t even know how she put up with it for as long as she did. I remember she got really sick and died when I was about 6. I don’t remember much about what happened. My dad would then take out all his anger on me since my mom wasn’t around anymore. He said I wouldn’t grow up to be a freak like her. Well, he was wrong obviously. When he found out that I could pretty much do the same thing, he treated me even worse. He made me feel worthless and wrong. My whole life I’ve never been able to fit in anywhere, until I came here.” Alyssa finally looked at Willow. “You all know what it’s like to be different. For once I don’t feel so alone, it feels good having others to relate to.” Willow smiled at her and really felt for the girl.

“You know we love having you here, Alyssa. I know Dawn does especially. She loves having someone around her age to talk to. You’ve made quite the impression on her.” Alyssa smiled at that.

“Really?” Willow nodded and got up. She gave Alyssa a smile before she headed out of the kitchen. Alyssa wondered about that as she then got back to floating the spoon.


* * * * *


Alyssa went upstairs a while later and headed into Dawn’s room, where she found her trying on some new clothes and looking at herself in the mirror. She turned around when she heard Alyssa come in. “What do you think of this?” She asked her. Dawn was wearing a red dress and twirling around, so Alyssa could see all of it.

“You look beautiful.” Alyssa said and Dawn gave her a smile as she went to grab a black dress off of her bed. She held it up to Alyssa.

“You would look great in this and it’s your color.” She said and Alyssa shook her head.

“I don’t think I could really pull that off.” Dawn rolled her eyes.

“You’re gorgeous, Alyssa. You’re probably the only one that doesn’t realize it. We’re going to the Bronze to celebrate Buffy’s pregnancy and we have to look amazing. A lot of cute guys hang out at the Bronze.” Alyssa wasn’t sure about that, but tried on the dress anyway. When she looked at herself in the mirror, she actually felt beautiful for the first time in her life. Dawn smiled at her choice. “Yep, you look great. That is definitely the one.” Alyssa smiled when there was a knock on the door and Spike walked in, being very cautious after what happened last time. He smiled at the two girls. Dawn grabbed Alyssa’s hand and pulled her over to Spike. “So, what do you think?” She asked him and he nodded.

“Very stunning, we’re ready to go now.” Dawn nodded also and grabbed her purse as she headed out of the room, with Alyssa right behind her. Alyssa gave Spike a shy smile and then turned her eyes back on Dawn, with the smile still on her face. Spike smiled also when he watched them walk out of the room. He shook his head at the look he saw on the girl’s face as he headed downstairs. It looked like Alyssa had a crush.


* * * * *


The Bronze was packed when they finally got there. They all sat down at a table, while Spike went to get drinks for everyone. Dawn grabbed Alyssa’s hand as they both went to dance, seeing some guys from their school in the distance. Alyssa couldn’t remember ever having so much fun before. Dawn then left Alyssa alone and headed to the bathroom. She was just standing there minding her own business, when she heard a voice next to her. “Well, if it isn’t the freak. Trying to blend in with a normal crowd I see. Too bad it won’t really help.” Alyssa cringed as she turned to see Karen standing there, with other popular kids from school. The same kids that always made her feel like a loser.

“I just came with some friends.” Karen laughed at that like it was the funniest thing she’s ever heard.

“You actually have friends? I guess that’s something we would have to see to believe.” They all laughed and Alyssa wanted to crawl into a black hole, when she then felt someone put their arm around her and a voice that she was very grateful for.

“Is there a problem here? You wouldn’t by any chance be messing with my girl, would you?” Spike said as he glared at the teenagers and Alyssa was trying not to smile. Karen looked like she was speechless for a change when she saw the gorgeous guy standing next to Alyssa. Spike smiled and turned his attention back to Alyssa, ignoring the rest of the kids. “Care to dance, love?” She nodded as she returned his smile. He just pulled her away from the popular crowd and started to dance with her as a slow song came on. Alyssa rested her head on his chest. Karen just stared at them in disgust and then walked away, with her friends behind her. Alyssa then looked up at Spike.

“Thanks for that.” He shrugged like it was no big deal.

“Don’t mention it, I hate kids like that.” Alyssa agreed and rested her head back on his chest. Dawn came out of the bathroom and saw them dancing as she walked over to Buffy and the others.

“Did I miss something?” She asked and Buffy nodded.

“Spike just made Alyssa look cool in front of those popular kids that you’re always complaining about.” Dawn smiled as she watched them continue to dance.

“Yeah, he really does come in handy. I would have loved to see the look on Karen’s face though.” Buffy smiled back at her sister as she watched Spike. He really was very sweet and she wondered why it took her so long to realize it. She knew he would be a great father.