CHAPTER 2

O.K., wasn't expecting that. Cordy took a calming breath.

“Why don’t you start at the beginning. Where ever that is.”

“I don’t really know the beginning” replied Jonathon. “I mean, it just really started for me a couple of weeks ago. One minute I'm in the school basement and the next……. I’m not." He looked down at his hands. " I remember arguing with my friend, then pain, then falling, then I was standing before The Powers." He smiled. "They told me I could earn a second chance. I just had to promise them something and then They gave me hope that someday I would ....."

"What did you have to promise Them?"

"I have promised to take care of The Champion.”

Cordelia glanced over at the still silent figure beside Jonathon. “And him?”

“He is the Champion.”

Now Cordelia had been “away” for a while, but she knew enough about Spike to be sure that he was no champion .

She gave a snort of laughter. “Look, I know this guy - he’s a vampire. He’s not a ‘champion’, much less The Champion with a capital ‘C’. He’s evil” she smirked "Evil with a capital E.”

She threw another glance in the direction of the silent figure in time to see the ghost of a smile. Now that was weird.

Jonathon looked at her with a steady gaze. “Touch him.”

She looked startled “No, I am SO not going to touch him. Are you crazy?”

Jonathon gently took her hand and placed it over Spike’s heart. Cordelia’s eyes widened as she felt the steady beat. Oh boy. Angel is going to love this! Or not.....

Cordelia pulled her hand away and started walking back to the hotel. “I think we need to talk. Maybe you should both come in.”

****************************************************

“Spike saved the world? That’s rich.”

“It’s Will - Will now.” Jonathon glanced over at the former vampire. He had settled on the couch, closed his eyes and appeared to be asleep. “He’s not the same person as before. He fought for his soul. He stood with Buffy against The First. He stopped the Apocalypse and saved the world. The Powers had always known that he was special; They spoke of the prophecy he fulfilled….”

“That prophecy was about Angel” Cordelia interjected “not about Spi…I mean him" she pointed, and whispered "......Will."

“It was about a soulled vampire. Will’s destiny was always known to the Powers. He did not disappoint Them. His reward was to be given life. There was only one problem. The Powers did not expect that he would go mad with guilt when he fought for and won his soul. They thought his intellect would help him, that he could put his past behind him but they were wrong. So when they brought him back.....here.....they took most of his memories - 120 years of memories. He knows a little about the world, but is not more than a child, really. He would be helpless on his own. That is where I come in. I watch out for him. I help him. I’m his…”

“You’re his father.” Cordelia shook her head. “Why did you get sent to me. How do I fit into this?” She looked up quickly, grimacing. “I’m not supposed to be his mother, am I?”

Jonathon pondered that just a little longer than Cordelia felt comfortable with, then said “No. I think that They thought that you would be able to help with the necessities, you know, a place to stay, food. We have been pretty much living on the street." He glanced again at the other man. "Not fitting for a champion, but until I can get some money together that is all I can manage.”

“So you want money?”

“I want a job. Anything. I just need to....Just enough to get a small stake, maybe. To find a place to live. We don't need much....HE doesn't need much.....I just need to make things right for him.”

“Why is this so important to you? Why are you doing this?"

"I 'm trying to earn my second chance, like I said. I, uh, did some stuff - bad stuff. I was kind of evil.”

Cordy looked askance at the mild little man across the table. "And then you died."

He sighed, “My friends and I had big plans, plans that didn’t seem too evil at the time. It just seems like it would be fun, but people got hurt.” His face twisted. "It got bad and I knew that it had to stop, but I was weak and afraid. Then things got really crazy with the magic and the people dying and I left Sunnydale, but I always knew that I had to return; I had to atone. I just never got to - atone, that is. Andrew..... he was my friend - we came back to Sunnydale to do good stuff and he killed me." Jonathon shook his head. "Look, I really need to make up for the evil I did." He gestured toward Will. "I take care of him and maybe, someday, it will be enough.”

Fatigue dragged at Cordelia. Too much to process and she knew enough to figure that if the Powers involved her, then it was important to get it right. Somehow, there was no doubt in her that the story she had been told was the truth. She just couldn’t make any decisions before a night or three of really good sleep. Oh God, sleep - where was she going to put them? The others might be back any moment. Somehow, she thought that the others maybe shouldn’t be involved just yet. The hotel had dozens of empty rooms. Who’d notice a couple of rooms suddenly not-so-empty? She stood and stretched. “Come with me, you two, and we will get you settled in for the night. We’ll talk in the morning.” She unlocked the linen room, took out some bedding and towels and brought the men up to the 3rd floor, stopping at two rooms at the end of the hall. “Take these and make your rooms up. I’ll bring you breakfast in the morning. Stay quiet, all right? I don’t want to have to explain you two until I figure it out for myself.” She unlocked the doors, handed over the keys, threw a weary “Goodnight” over her shoulder, and took herself off to bed.


End of Chapter 2