Author's Chapter Notes:
I'm sure you guys weren't expecting Riley to be the hero. That’s why I did it. Spike is always saving her, and I wanted to do something different. I know some of you probably don’t like Riley, but you’re gonna have to deal with the fact that he’s a good guy in this. I actually like him, and I don’t like always seeing him as the bad guy in fictions. I’m glad you guys could wait patiently for this chapter. It was only a few days after all. Thank you for the birthday wishes. It was definitely one I’ll never forget. I ended up getting in my first car accident and that part was not fun. I’m just glad no one was seriously hurt. I just banged my knee, but it could have been a lot worse. If I didn't hate cars before, I definitely do now. Drunk drivers make this world a really dangerous place, all I have to say. Anyway, I hope ya’ll like this chapter. Happy 4th of July=)
Chapter 16

Joyce and the others were relieved when Buffy was brought home safely. Joyce thanked Riley a few times and gave him a hug, which took him by surprise. They were all grateful to him. He left a little while later and told Buffy that he would see her at the next class.

Buffy explained to everyone about what happened once Riley was gone.

Angel was angry when he found out about Lindsey’s part in it, and was just glad that Buffy didn’t get really hurt.

Spike hugged Buffy like he never wanted to let her go and knew that he should have done more damage to Parker. He was just glad that the ponce was taken away.

They were upstairs in Buffy’s room lying on her bed later that night, both not saying anything.

Buffy noticed the angry expression on her boyfriend’s face. “Are you okay?”

Spike looked at her and gently caressed her cheek, where there was a bruise. “I hate this,” he stated in a low voice. “I hate any bloke that thinks he can beat on a woman. They give all of us a bad name.”

Buffy took his hand off of her cheek and held it in hers. “You’re one of the good ones, William. I’m so glad I found you.”

Spike was touched as he leaned closer to her and placed a kiss on her lips. He pulled away after a moment and pressed his forehead to hers. “What did I ever do without you? I mean that, Buffy. I was nothing before you. I love you so much,” he whispered fondly.

It was Buffy’s turn to feel touched. “I love you, too. I always have.”

Spike kissed her again, when there was a knock on the door. He pulled away as Joyce walked into the room.

She smiled at the couple. “I just wanted to let you two know that I will be going to bed now. Your father already left, William. I suppose you’ll be staying over tonight.” It wasn’t a question.

Spike felt embarrassed and nodded. “Yes, if that would be all right. I could just sleep on the couch.”

Joyce shook her head. “That won’t be necessary. You can stay in here as long as you both promise that nothing will happen,” she said in her best motherly voice.

Buffy nodded in response. “We’ll be good, Mom.”

Joyce accepted her daughter’s answer and gave her another hug. “I’m so glad you’re okay, Buffy. Don’t worry me like that again.”

“I won’t,” she replied, pulling out of the embrace.

Joyce graced them with one more smile. “I’ll let you two sleep now. Goodnight,” she claimed, then left the room.

They were both quiet after that, when Spike suddenly hugged her again.

Buffy wrapped her arms around him as well. “I think this is the most anyone has ever hugged me.”

He smothered kisses in her soft hair. “You better get used to it, love. You had us all bloody worried.”

“I wasn’t gone that long. I did manage to keep my cool, and even got a few kicks in. I don’t think Parker will ever be able to have children. That guy Lindsey was really scary, though. I could tell that Parker didn’t want to kill me, but the other guy had no problem with it. Just because my brother took his girlfriend from him. He has serious issues.”

Spike agreed and released her, once again feeling relieved to have her back safely. He could have lost her and didn’t know what he would do if that happened. He couldn’t even think about it.

“So, enough about that. Tell me about this girl that you’re tutoring,” she said to change the subject, a hint of jealousy in her voice.

“How did you know it was a girl?” he wondered.

Buffy shrugged. “Willow told me, but that’s all she told me. So, who is she?”

Spike could tell that she seemed a little jealous, but she had no reason to be. He was flattered by it, though. “Her name is Dawn and she’s a freshman, so you have no reason to be jealous.”

Buffy rolled her eyes. “I’m not jealous, I was just wondering. It’s nice that you’re still tutoring the younger kids.”

Spike smiled at her. “Yeah, I’ve always loved doing it. She’s a nice girl. I think she has a crush on me.”

Buffy smacked him lightly on the leg. “I’m sure she does, but just know that you’re mine. Make sure she knows that, too.”

Spike loved when she got all possessive. “There’s no competition, pet.” He leaned towards her ear. “I’ve always been yours.”

His breath against her throat caused her to shiver. “Likewise,” she replied.

Spike suddenly took on a nervous expression.

Buffy wondered what was wrong, but didn’t have to wonder for long.

“I wanted to give you this. I figured now was a good enough time,” he said, handing her a black box.

Buffy was confused as she took it for him, opening it to reveal a beautiful ring. She gasped at what that could mean and glanced back up at him, waiting for his explanation.

He tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. “It’s not a proposal, Buffy. Not yet, anyway. We’ll call this a promise ring. It belonged to my mum and I really think you should have it.”

Buffy had tears in her eyes at the thought of him giving her his mother’s ring. She slipped it on her finger to find that it was a perfect fit. “I’ll always treasure it, William.” She pressed a quick kiss to his lips. “I love you.”

Spike caressed her cheek, feeling tears of his own start to cloud his vision. There was no doubt in his mind that he finally found the woman he would spend the rest of his life with. “I love you, too. So bloody much.”

Buffy smiled and gazed at the ring one more time. “We should get some sleep,” she told him after a moment of silence.

Spike agreed and lay down on the bed, pulling her with him.

Buffy rested her head against his chest, letting out a sigh of pure bliss.

It didn’t take them long to drift off into slumber.