Chapter 17

Buffy woke up in the morning and stared at Spike, who was still passed out. She smiled at how adorable he looked and placed a kiss on his forehead, then got out of bed and headed downstairs. She walked into the kitchen to see that Angel was there, drinking a cup of coffee.

He glanced up at her and gave a small smile.

She smiled in return and sat down across from him.

Angel spoke up after a few seconds. “How are you doing?”

Buffy shrugged at his question. “I’m good, it could have been worse.”

Angel agreed and felt angry again when he thought about what could have happened to her. “I’ll kill him for this,” he stated harshly.

Buffy felt concerned at the determination in his voice. “No, you won’t. That’s not you, Angel. I’m sure Lindsey will get what’s coming to him. What’s the deal with you two, anyway?” she wondered.

Angel took a deep breath before answering her. “He blamed me for taking his girlfriend. Darla was with him for a few months, when he started to hit her. We were friends and she came to me for help. I promised that I would protect her, and she told me that she would leave him. I wanted to go with her, but she said she could do it herself. She came back to me hours after that, with bruises and cuts on her face. The bastard beat on her when she tried to end things with him. Lindsey must have caught us together. He has always had something against me. I swear, I had no idea he would come after you. I’m so sorry, Buffy.”

Buffy placed her hand over his. “It wasn’t your fault, Angel. You couldn’t have known.”

Angel nodded and gave her hand a squeeze. “I love you, kid.”

Buffy smiled. “I love you, too,” she replied, giving him a hug. “You’re the best guy I know, Angel. I couldn’t have asked for a better brother.”

Angel held her tighter. His little sister was his whole world. He couldn’t bear the thought of anything happening to her.

“So, are you and Darla dating? You never mentioned her before,” she suddenly said, changing the subject.

Angel let her go and wiped at his eyes, grateful for the distraction. “Yeah, we’ve been seeing each other for a few weeks now. Who knew the whole thing with Lindsey would have brought us closer?”

Buffy was just happy that her brother found someone. “You should bring her by some time. I’m sure Mom would love to meet her, and I would love to meet the girl that’s crazy enough to date you,” she said teasingly.

Angel ruffled her hair. “If there’s hope for you, then there’s hope for anyone.”

Buffy slapped him on the arm, even though she could tell that he was only kidding.

“I would love to bring her here, though. She has been saying that she wanted to meet my family. She saw your picture in my room and thinks you’re very pretty.”

Buffy beamed at that. “I like her already.”

He chuckled. “I’m sure you do, but you’ll end up liking her even more after you meet.”

Buffy agreed. “I bet I will.”

Spike then entered the kitchen, rubbing the sleep out of his eyes. “Hey, it’s no fun for a bloke to wake up alone,” he claimed, then noticed Angel there. “Not that we did anything, just sleeping.”

Buffy laughed at the look of fear on his face. “It’s okay, Will. He gets it.”

Spike sighed in relief.

Angel grinned. “I’m just surprised that you survived in the same bed with this one,” he said, pointing at his sister. “She’s a kicker.”

Buffy smacked him across the head. “I’m so not, buddy. You have me confused with someone else.”

Spike smiled at the banter between the two siblings. “Now that you mention it, I do wonder how I ended up on the floor in the middle of the night.”

Buffy turned her gaze on him in shock. “Great, so now you’re both ganging up on me. I’m really feeling the love right now,” she said with a pout.

Angel stood up and decided to ignore her comment. “I’ll be heading back to school soon. I think I could at least spare a few days, just to make sure that everything’s okay. I have to pick up some stuff, be back in a couple of hours,” he said, placing a kiss on the top of Buffy’s head. “Be careful, okay?”

“You know me,” she replied.

“Yeah, that’s what worries me.”

Buffy rolled her eyes.

Angel walked over to Spike and patted him on the back. “It was nice to meet you, man. Take care of her.”

Spike nodded. “You don’t have to worry about that.”

Angel saw the look in Spike’s eyes and knew that his sister was in good hands. That was a very comforting thought as he left the room.

Spike then sat down next to her at the table. “Your brother seems like a decent bloke.”

Buffy smiled. “Yeah, he’s the best.”

Spike could tell how close they were to each other, always wanting a brother or sister of his own. He was very lonely being an only child. All he had was his little cousin in England, but it wasn’t the same. He never even got to see her much. Spike lost his parents in a car accident years ago and felt even more alone when he had to move to a strange place to live with his uncle. He looked at Buffy and smiled, realizing that moving to Sunnydale was the best thing that ever happened to him. He wouldn’t change it for the world.