Chapter 18

Buffy was back in school a few days later and she told the others about what happened. They were surprised, and also glad that she was okay.

“That’s so cool, Buffy!” Xander exclaimed.

Willow elbowed him in the stomach. “Xander, she could have been killed.”

He looked ashamed for his remark. “I didn’t mean it like that. I mean, it’s cool that you were able to defend yourself. Not that I think you can’t defend yourself or anything. As far as girls go, you’re one of the strongest ones I know,” he said, trying to lighten the mood.

Buffy gave him a smile. “It’s okay, Xander. I get what you mean.”

Xander was relieved that she didn’t seem to be mad at him.

Buffy continued to tell them about her visit to the police station. They had enough information and were able to put Lindsey and Parker away, hopefully for a long time if Buffy had anything to say about it. Angel went with her, so he could tell them what he knew about Lindsey. Buffy was just glad it was all over.

“Your brother is so hot, Buffy,” Cordelia admitted out of nowhere, remembering the gorgeous man that dropped Buffy off at school.

She shook her head. “Sorry, Cordy. He already has someone.”

A frown formed on the brunette’s face.

“Yeah, so do you,” Xander stated, staring at his girlfriend.

Cordelia rolled her eyes. “Lighten up, Harris. I didn’t mean anything by it. I’m allowed to check out attractive guys, just like you’re allowed to check out attractive girls. There’s no harm in it.”

Xander smiled at her. “Sure, that’s fair,” he replied, giving Buffy a look across the table.

She raised her eyebrows at his staring.

Spike pulled her closer to his side, glaring at Xander. “There will be harm if you look at my girlfriend like that, mate,” he almost growled.

Xander actually seemed afraid. He sometimes missed the bookish nerd that his friend used to be. “All right, I won’t look at her. I was only kidding, anyway,” he mumbled, turning away from Spike’s intense gaze.

“Don’t you just love it when he gets all possessive like that? It’s definitely sexy,” Cordelia commented, focusing on the blonde couple.

Spike blushed and glanced away from her.

“He got possessive with you?” Buffy wondered.

Cordelia nodded. “Are you kidding me? He wouldn’t let any guy look at me in the wrong way. When they did, he would grab me tighter like he just did with you. It was very sweet. I’m not used to guys being like that with me. I’m almost sorry that I let him go.” She noticed the strange looks from the others around the table. “I said almost. I’m totally cool with it. You guys are better together, anyway. You have that real love going for you. All we really did was make out constantly. You can’t build a real relationship on that.”

Xander shook his head and stood up. “We should get to class now, Cordy,” he said, grabbing her arm.

“What did I say?”

Xander pulled her away from the table before she could say anything else.

Willow looked at Buffy and Spike, who were sitting in silence. She quickly stood up. “I think I’m gonna find Oz. See you guys later,” she said and walked away from the table, leaving Buffy and Spike alone.

They both remained quiet, until Buffy decided to speak up.

“So, you guys made out a lot?”

Spike sighed and ran his fingers through his hair. “It wasn’t a lot. Not as much as with you.”

Buffy nodded and glanced down. “At least you didn’t sleep with her.”

Spike then put his finger under her chin and brought her gaze back on his. “I couldn’t do that, Buffy. I was waiting for you. I would have waited forever if I had to. I wanted you to be my first; no one else would have been good enough.”

Buffy smiled and gave him a soft kiss on the lips. “That’s good to know,” she responded, laying her head on his shoulder.

They were like that for a few seconds, when the bell rang signaling that lunch was over.

Spike took her hand as they both stood up and headed to their next class.


* * * * *


Buffy headed to her locker after school. She noticed a young girl walk by, with her books clutched to her chest. She then saw a familiar jock knock the books out of the girl’s hand. The girl looked embarrassed as she bent down to pick them up, while the guy laughed with his friends. That made Buffy angry as she marched over to them. She helped the girl with her books, then turned cold eyes on the lead guy.

“What’s your problem, Ben? You have to pick on kids half your size now? That’s just really pathetic.”

He glared at her. “What do you care, Summers? I’m just having some fun, but I guess you would know all about that,” he said with a smirk, his friends once again laughing.

Buffy had enough. “You know what? I’ve forgotten about our little time together. It really wasn’t that memorable. I’ve had better in the sixth grade.”

“We’ll see about that. I can give you a go right now.”

Buffy rolled her eyes. “Sorry, but I would rather not catch anything. By the way, I’m really sorry to hear about your syphilis. I hope all your conquests know about that.” She glanced behind Ben to see two girls staring at them, with disgusted looks on their faces. “Oh, I’m sorry. You guys didn’t sleep with him, did you? You probably wanna get that checked out. Better safe than sorry is my motto.”

Ben turned around and noticed the girls as well, his eyes widening.

They gave him a look of distaste and ran in the other direction.

Ben took off after them. “Wait, she was only kidding!”

Buffy laughed and watched him go, his jock friends following behind. She then turned back to the girl, who was just standing there in silence. “You okay?”

She nodded. “Yeah, that was pretty great. Thanks for the help.”

Buffy gave her a smile. “It was nothing; you just need to know how to handle guys like that. I’m Buffy, by the way.”

“I’m Dawn; it’s nice to meet you.”

Buffy figured that this was probably the freshman that Spike was tutoring. “It’s nice to meet you, too. Let’s go for a walk, I may know of something that can help you against bullies like that.”

Dawn nodded and followed Buffy out of the school.