Chapter 20

Joyce and Spike were in the hospital waiting room after Riley called Joyce to tell her that Buffy was brought in. She called Giles and he wasn’t there, so she told Spike what happened and he left to the hospital immediately after that. It was hours later, and they still didn’t know what was wrong with Buffy. They only knew that she was taken into the operating room for surgery.

She couldn’t sit around any longer without knowing if her daughter was all right, relieved when the doctor finally came out. Joyce stood up and walked over to him. “Is Buffy okay?”

He nodded and took a deep breath. “Your daughter’s going to be fine. She had appendicitis and we had to operate immediately. It’s a good thing she was brought in when she was. Her appendix was about to burst. She’s unconscious right now, but should be awake soon.”

Joyce placed her hand over her heart, grateful it wasn’t anything more serious. “Can we see her?”

The doctor nodded again. “Yes, she’s in room 214.”

Joyce gave him a smile. “Thank you, Doctor.”

He smiled as well, then headed back to work.

Joyce had tears in her eyes as she looked at the two men standing behind her. She approached Riley and gave him a hug. “That’s the second time you’ve saved my baby,” she said, pulling away from him.

Riley gave her a shy smile. “I didn’t really do anything. I only called the ambulance.”

Joyce shook her head. “If you weren’t with her, I don’t even want to know what could have happened. Thank you.”

Riley nodded and accepted her gratitude. “I’m just glad that she’s okay. She’s a special girl.”

Joyce agreed. “Yes, she is.” She glanced at Spike and wondered why he was so quiet. “Are you all right, William?”

Spike broke out of his reverie at the sound of her concerned voice. “Yeah, I’m fine. I just hate these close calls.”

Joyce nodded in understanding. “Let’s go see how she’s doing.”

They all then headed to Buffy’s room.


* * * * *


Buffy woke up feeling groggy as she tried to focus her eyes on her surroundings. She didn’t know where she was, until her eyes landed on her mother.

“Hey, sleepy head. You finally decided to come back to us,” Joyce said, brushing some hair out of Buffy’s face.

“Mom, where am I?” she wondered.

“You’re in the hospital, sweetie.”

Buffy’s eyes widened as she sat up with a start. “No, I can’t be in the hospital.”

Joyce pushed Buffy gently back down and tried to calm her. “Honey, you need to lie down.”

Buffy shook her head. “I don’t like it here. I wanna go home,” she commented in a frightened voice.

Joyce felt for her daughter, knowing how much Buffy hated hospitals. “I know you do, but you’re going to have to stay here for a bit longer. You just had surgery, Buffy. You need to rest.”

Buffy sighed and laid her head back on the bed. It was then that she noticed the two men in the room. She saw Riley first and suddenly remembered what happened. She smiled at him and held out her hand.

He looked confused for a moment, then took her small hand in his larger one.

“You always seem to be saving me,” she whispered.

Riley felt touched and gave her hand a light squeeze, letting it go after a few seconds. “I’m just glad I was there.”

Buffy agreed as her eyes finally rested on Spike.

He moved closer to her and kneeled down by her side, placing a kiss on her forehead. “How do you feel?”

“I’ve been better. I’m glad you’re here.”

Spike nodded. “Where else would I be?” He pressed a soft kiss to her lips and pulled away, with tears in his eyes now. “You have to stop doing this to me, Buffy. I don’t think I can take anymore.”

She caressed his cheek and gave him a smile. “I’ll try to be more careful.”

He smiled as well and pecked her on the nose.

“We should go now. Buffy needs her rest,” Joyce told them.

Riley nodded in agreement. “Yeah, I’m sure Sam is wondering where I am by now. Take care of yourself, Buffy. I don’t want to see you in class for at least a month, okay? You need to take it easy.”

Buffy let out a sigh and nodded, without bothering to argue.

Riley gave everyone one more look before leaving the room.

Joyce pressed a kiss to Buffy’s cheek, then grabbed Spike’s arm. “We’ll be back to see you tomorrow, sweetheart.”

Buffy nodded again and watched as they walked out of the room, then closed her eyes and tried to get some sleep.


* * * * *


Spike arrived back at his empty house and headed up to his room. He lay on his bed and realized that he couldn’t fall asleep, then moved to his desk and grasped the picture that was sitting there. It was a picture of him and Buffy that was taken two years ago, a few months after they met. They were outside in his backyard when the picture was taken. Spike smiled at the memory. Buffy just woke up, and was complaining that she didn’t want any pictures taken because her hair was a mess. Spike just told her that she always looked beautiful, and she gave him the sweetest smile that anyone had ever graced him with. He knew that he loved her. He tried to hide his feelings, figuring that she would never see him as anything more than a friend. Then he developed a crush on Cordelia. She was the only cheerleader that never treated him like a freak. His feelings for Buffy never went away, though. He loved her from the first second he saw her. There was no one else but her. She had taken him to places that he never would have dreamed of. Spike smiled wider as he placed the picture back on his desk. He lay back down on his bed and knew that he would finally be able to fall asleep, with dreams of Buffy in his head.