Chapter 3

“I’m not calling you that,” Buffy said once they got back to her house.

“Why not?” he wondered.

She rolled her eyes. “The name is weird, and I just don’t see you as a Spike.”

William sighed and decided to give up. “All right, you don’t have to call me that. I’m hoping I can get everyone else to.”

Buffy laughed. “Yeah, somehow I don’t picture Giles calling you that.”

William agreed. “Maybe not him, he’s too stuffy for that.”

Buffy raised her eyebrows. “You do realize that you were that stuffy a few hours ago, right?”

He shrugged. “I wasn’t that bad, but things are going to be different now. I can feel it.”

Buffy shook her head and decided to change the subject. “You wanna watch a movie or something?”

“I would like to, but I think I should get home now. This was really great, Buffy,” he commented, kissing her on the cheek. “You’re a goddess.”

Buffy nodded and tried not to feel too flattered by the compliment. “Tell me something I don’t know,” she replied, running her fingers through his soft hair. “Billy Idol, eat your heart out.”

“You actually think I look better than him? I know how much you love him and all.”

Buffy slapped him playfully on the chest. “Hey, give me some credit here. I did a damn good job.”

He nodded. “That you did, love. I really do appreciate it.”

“That’s what friends are for. There should be a song,” she said with a smile.

“I don’t know why I’m suddenly so nervous. I’m just really bad around girls. I wouldn’t want to screw anything up with her.”

Buffy took his hand in hers. “You’re going to do fine, William. Like I said before, she’d have to be crazy not to want you. You’re one of the good ones. Just make sure she knows that.”

William gave her a shy smile. “Thanks again, Buffy. I’ll see you in school.”

Buffy watched him go and closed the door, resting her head against it. “I really hope I know what I got myself into.”


* * * * *


William walked into his house, with more confidence than he’d ever felt before. He entered the living room to see his uncle reading on the couch.

The older man glanced up at him. “Dear lord, what have you done to yourself?”

William shrugged. “I thought I could use a change. You don’t like it?”

Giles took his glasses off to clean them before placing them back on his face. “It’s very different. What brought this on?”

William ran his fingers through his now bleached hair. “No reason, it’s just a new year. I figured I should look more grown up.”

Giles wouldn’t believe that. “Don’t tell me this is about that Chase girl?”

William avoided his uncle’s stare and headed for the stairs. “Fine, I won’t tell you.”

Giles stopped him before he could leave. “William, this isn’t a good idea. You know that girl is bad news.”

He shook his head. “You’re just saying that because you don’t like her father. You don’t even know her.”

Giles sighed and tried to get through to his stubborn nephew. “You don’t know her, either. I just don’t want you to get hurt, son. You’ve been through enough.”

William didn’t feel like getting into a conversation about his parents right now. “I’ll be fine, uncle. I know how to handle myself.”

Giles wouldn’t let it go. “I just don’t think she’s right for you. What about Buffy? She’s a lovely girl.”

William rolled his eyes. “You’re only saying that because you like her mum.”

He seemed surprised that William knew that. “That’s not why I’m saying it. I think she’s a lovely girl. She would be better for you. I know how you feel for her, son.”

William was starting to get a headache. “I know how I felt for her, but I don’t anymore. She’s just a friend,” he explained.

Giles placed his hand on William’s shoulder. “I know you don’t believe that.”

“Maybe not, but she would never want me. Not like that.”

Giles nodded in understanding and removed his hand. “And you think that this Cordelia will?”

William thought about it. “She might now. I really like her, and I think she might like me if she gets to know me. I have to get over Buffy. I can’t spend another year thinking about her, when I know nothing could ever happen. She dates college blokes; I’m not exactly her type. Thanks for the talk, but I have things to do,” he finished and walked up to his room, without even waiting for Giles to respond. William walked over to his mirror. He had his new contacts in and had to admit that he was very pleased with his new appearance. He thought of something else he could add and went over to his closet, taking out the leather coat he found and put it on. It was a birthday gift from his aunt a few years ago. He never wore it because it wasn’t him, but now would be the perfect time to try it out. He smiled at his reflection and realized that the coat worked perfectly. It was time that William was gone for good and Spike took control. “She has to notice me now,” he said to himself, then frowned when a thought occurred to him. He didn’t even know which girl he was talking about.