Author's Chapter Notes:
I’m all about the Spuffy, so no worries. There will be plenty moments to come, but it will take a little bit to get to that. I guess I should say that there will be some Spike/Cordy in the beginning, but it’s hardly anything. I needed that for what I have planned. So, there will be some jealousy to come and it won’t just be Buffy. That’s all I’m gonna say. I hope you guys will stick with me because the Spuffiness will definitely be worth it=)
Chapter 4

Spike walked into school feeling better than he ever felt before. He had his leather duster on and realized that wasn’t a smart thing to wear when it was so hot outside, but he couldn’t seem to care. He smiled at the girls that were checking him out, which was something he never experienced before. He felt his heart skip a beat when he noticed Cordelia looking at him. She gave him a small smile and turned away. He had to smile as well; things were finally starting to look up for him. Spike then found Buffy in the cafeteria sitting with their other friends, Willow and Xander. He went over to them, with the smile still on his face.

“Hello all,” he commented.

Willow and Xander gazed at him, both with surprised expressions on their faces.

“William, is that you? Wow, you look great,” Willow stated.

He smiled at her and sat down next to Buffy. “I go by Spike now. William was getting old.”

She raised her eyebrows at the name.

Buffy just rolled her eyes and changed the subject. “So, how’s the look working for you?”

Spike turned his gaze on her. “It’s going great. I had every girl staring at me when I walked in. I could definitely get used to that.”

Xander suddenly felt jealous. “Man, I wish that would happen to me.”

Spike looked at his friend. “It would if you wanted it as much. You’re not that bad looking of a bloke.”

Xander rolled his eyes. “Great, I just wish a girl would tell me that. That’s a cool coat. Maybe I should get one.”

Spike shrugged and glanced at Buffy, who didn’t seem to have much to say. “You all right, love?”

She nodded. “Yeah, I’m good. I’m glad you’re happy.”

He smiled at her, then felt nervous when he noticed Cordelia walking over to their table.

She gave everyone a look and focused her attention on Spike. “You’re new here, right?”

Spike didn’t know what to say, but Xander spoke up for him.

“That’s William, Cordy. You know, William Anderson? The guy you and your friends always make fun of.”

Spike glared at him.

Cordelia thought about what he said. “Right, William. I remember you. You’ve really changed.”

Spike felt flattered that she seemed to know who he was. “Thanks,” he replied softly.

“I was just wondering if you wanted to sit with us.”

Spike was surprised by that and glanced at Buffy, who only nodded. He didn’t seem to catch the sad expression on her face as he looked back at Cordelia. “Yeah, that sounds good,” he said and after taking one more look at his friends, followed Cordelia to where the popular kids were sitting.

Buffy watched him go with a sigh. “I think I might have created a monster.”

Willow was the only one that knew how Buffy felt for William. She felt bad when she noticed the look on her friend’s face. “It’ll be okay, Buffy. I’m sure he wouldn’t really fall for her.”

Buffy gave a tiny smile. “Right, because he hasn’t been in love with her for the last two years. Let’s face it; I think we just lost him to the dark side.”

Willow didn’t know what else to say.

Xander nodded. “There’s no going back after that.”

Buffy agreed as she watched William laugh with the popular kids. The same kids that used to always torment him. She couldn’t watch anymore and grabbed her things. “I think I’m gonna head to class early today. I’ll see you guys later,” she said, then headed out of the cafeteria.

Willow and Xander exchanged looks with each other, both hoping that their friend would be okay.


* * * * *


Buffy walked to her locker and put her books away. She waited for Spike to meet her like he always did. She figured after waiting for a few minutes that he wasn’t coming, so she just headed out of school. Buffy stopped suddenly when she saw William standing by Cordelia’s locker, with the cheerleader touching his arm in a tender way. He gave her a smile and Cordelia was laughing at something he said. Buffy looked away and walked in the other direction. She tried not to cry at the thought of William with her. She had to keep telling herself that this was what he wanted. She helped him because she wanted him to be happy. He looked really happy to her, and she was just going to have to accept it. William would always be her friend and that was enough right now, even if she wanted more. Buffy entered the bathroom to splash some water on her face.

Willow followed Buffy into the restroom after seeing how sad she looked. “Are you all right?”

Buffy nodded. “Yeah, I’m great. Why wouldn’t I be?”

Willow could see right through that. “I know how upset you were, Buffy. It must be so hard to see him with her. Why don’t you just tell him how you feel? He might feel the same way and forget about her.”

Buffy laughed at how naïve her friend could be. “William has always wanted her. He only sees me as a friend. I can’t pour my heart out to him knowing that he wouldn’t return my feelings. I just have to deal with this. I want him to be happy. That’s all that matters,” she said, avoiding her friend’s gaze.

“Even if you’re miserable?”

Buffy looked back up at her. “It wouldn’t be the first time. I’ll be fine. I have to get home now, so I’ll talk to you later.” She then left the bathroom, without giving Willow another look.

Willow let out a sigh as she watched Buffy leave. She really wished her two friends would get together. It was obvious that they both had feelings for each other. She just wished that they could see it.