Chapter 5

Buffy walked out of the school and was about to head home, when she saw the familiar person waiting in the distance. She sighed and made her way over to him.

“What are you doing here, Parker?”

He smiled at her. “I came to see my girl. I decided to take a break from the college life and drove here. What? I don’t get a hug?” he asked with a pout.

Buffy shook her head. “That won’t work with me. We only had a summer thing, Parker. That’s all it was. You should just go back to LA.” She started to walk away, but Parker grabbed her arm.

“You know that’s not all it was. I didn’t drive two hours to get rejected, Buffy.”

She pulled her arm out of his grasp. “How do you think I felt? You made it pretty clear what you wanted from me, and then I had to catch you with another girl. I don’t want you here.”

Parker rolled his eyes. “I told you it was a mistake. I never cared about her. I only care about you, Buffy. I came here to get you back. I know you still have feelings for me.”

“I don’t know what I feel anymore, but I know that you’re not the one I want.”

Parker wasn’t about to take no for an answer. “You think one of these high school boys can give you what I can? What we had was special, and I know that no one else can make you feel that good. I’ll be in town for a while. This is where I’m staying,” he said, handing her a paper with a hotel number and address on it. “You decide what you want and come see me. I know you can’t resist, Buffy,” he whispered the last part in her ear and gave her a kiss on the cheek. He smiled at her one more time before walking away.

Buffy shoved the paper in her pocket and turned around, only to bump into Spike. “God, don’t sneak up on me like that,” she claimed, with her hand over her heart.

“Sorry, who was that?” he wondered.

Buffy wasn’t sure what to tell him. “He’s no one important.”

He wasn’t convinced. “Seemed important to me.”

Buffy took a deep breath and just decided to tell him some of the truth. “I met Parker in LA over the summer. We had a thing and I thought it was over, but he had to come here and make things even more confusing in my life.”

Spike nodded and wondered why she didn’t mention him before. “What did he give you?”

Buffy wondered why he was so curious. “Nothing, just the number of the hotel where he’s staying. He wanted me to stop by.”

Spike raised his eyebrows. “You’re not going to do that, are you?”

Buffy shrugged. “I don’t know, maybe if I was really desperate or something.”

Spike couldn’t help the jealousy that seemed to go through him at that. “Do you really think that’s a good idea?”

Buffy thought about it. “You know what? I’m probably just going to throw the number away. I really don’t want to see him again.”

Spike felt relieved to hear that, then a sudden thought crossed his mind. “Did he hurt you?”

Buffy shook her head. “Nothing I couldn’t handle. He was just seeing another girl and I had to catch them together. It wasn’t a big deal, not like I really loved him or anything. It was just a summer fling and I know how that sounds, but I was depressed that my dad cancelled on me again and he was there. That’s all it was.”

Spike nodded and didn’t know what else to say. He knew that Buffy had a pretty active sex life. She didn’t have to talk to him about it for him to know. She knew that he was a virgin and wanted his first time to be special, with someone he really loved. He didn’t like the fact of having a lot of sex with someone that you didn’t even care about. Spike knew that Buffy wasn’t happy with her choices. He just wished that she would talk to him about it. He was starting to think that Buffy didn’t know how to love, and that thought worried him.

“So, how did things go with Cordelia? Making any progress yet?” she asked suddenly.

Spike came out of his reverie to answer her. “It went well. They all accepted me, even though they know who I am. I never thought I would ever be sitting at that table. I’m even going out with Cordy this weekend.”

Buffy raised her eyebrows at the fact that he already seemed to be calling her Cordy. She tried not to sound jealous when she spoke again. “You actually asked her out?”

A bright smile lit up his features. “I didn’t have to, she asked me out.”

Buffy forced a smile on her face. “That’s great; you finally have what you’ve always wanted.”

Spike’s smile faded a little as he thought about that. He didn’t even know if Cordelia was the one he wanted. She was very attractive and great to talk to, but he didn’t really have anything in common with her. He couldn’t imagine himself watching cheesy movies at her house and yelling at the screen with her. Buffy seemed to be really happy for him, though, so he kept the smile on his face. “Yeah, I never expected this. I really owe it all to you.”

Buffy waved her hand in the air. “I didn’t really do much. It was your personality that won her over. Anyway, I should get going. I’ll talk to you later.”

Spike just watched her go and again couldn’t help thinking about how beautiful she was. He shook that thought away and headed in the other direction.