Author's Chapter Notes:
Trust me, you guys will soon love Spike. He won't be an idiot for much longer. I have to deal with some jealousy first before I get to that. He's going to realize who he wants to be with. I'll make you guys feel better and say that after the next chapter, you won't have to deal with anymore Spike/Cordy. It's frankly making me a little nauseous and they've hardly done anything. I'm just all about the Spuffy. I hope ya'll like this chapter, don't get too worried about the end=)
Chapter 7

Spike knocked on Buffy’s door over the weekend and tried to get her to talk to him. He wouldn’t let her avoid him anymore. She finally opened the door after a few minutes, and didn’t look happy to see him.

“What?” she asked in annoyance.

Spike took a deep breath before he spoke. “Can we talk?”

Buffy shrugged and moved out of the way to let him in the house, closing the door once he was inside. “What do you wanna talk about?”

Spike really wished he could read the expression on her face. “I’m sorry about what happened the other day, but I don’t know why you’re so mad at me.”

Buffy gave a humorless laugh. “You don’t know why I’m mad? Those jerks were making fun of Willow and Xander, who were supposed to be your friends and you just let them.”

Spike shook his head. “There was nothing I could have done.”

Buffy glared at him. “No, that’s where you’re wrong. You claim that those jocks are your friends now. You could have stopped them if you wanted to, but I know why you didn’t. Being popular is the only thing that matters to you right now, you don’t care who it hurts.”

“That’s not true. I do care; I just didn’t want to get in the middle of it. I’m finally someone now, Buffy. They actually acknowledge me when I pass them in the halls. I have a girlfriend for the first time in my life, and I’m actually happy. I was hoping you of all people would understand that. You are the one that helped me with the transformation.”

Buffy let out a sigh. “No, I helped you change on the outside. I’m not responsible for how you’re behaving. I know this is what you want, but you’re starting to turn into one of them. Soon you won’t even know who your real friends are.”

Spike ran his fingers through his hair. “Why are you acting like this? We’re still friends, that hasn’t changed.”

“I don’t even know anymore. I’ve hardly gotten to see you since you’ve been hanging out with them. You don’t sit with us at lunch anymore. This is the first time you’ve stopped by my house in over a week. If I knew that changing your appearance would have changed you this much, I never would have agreed to do it. I helped you because that’s what friends do. I saw how much you wanted Cordelia to like you, so I made that possible. I never knew that you would spend all of your time with them and forget about us,” she finished, tears starting to blur her vision.

“I don’t know what you want me to say, Buffy. I can’t go back to the way I was. I’m sorry, but I just can’t.”

Buffy nodded in understanding. “I didn’t think you would. It’s up to you to figure out what’s more important.”

Spike threw his hands up in the air. “I haven’t done anything wrong. I really thought you would be happy for me. I was hoping you would understand, but I guess I was mistaken,” he claimed and walked out of the house.

Buffy watched him go as the tears streamed down her face. She closed the door and rested her head against it. “I think I understand fine. I turned a sweet guy into a jerk,” she said to herself, then headed upstairs to try and focus on homework.


* * * * *


Buffy was relieved that school was over for the day as she walked to her locker. She got what she needed and was ready to leave the school, when she then saw Spike with Cordelia. He was whispering something in her ear, which made her giggle. Buffy couldn’t help the jealousy that coursed through her, even though this wasn’t her William anymore. She would still always care for him. He then noticed her staring and ignored her as he started to kiss Cordelia. Buffy wondered if he was trying to make her jealous. She shook those thoughts away and turned in the other direction, finally making her way out of the school. She ran her hands through her hair once she was outside, and tried not to cry again. She started to walk home, when a car pulled up next to her. She glanced up to see that it was Parker.

“Hey, you want a ride?”

Buffy thought about it for a second, then thought about William making out with Cordelia. “Yeah, that sounds good,” she said, opening his car door and slipping inside.

Parker looked at her in confusion, not believing that she would have actually taken him up on his offer. “Am I taking you home?”

Buffy shook her head. “No, I don’t want to go home. Take me anywhere else.”

That brought a grin to Parker’s face. “I know just the place,” he told her and drove away from the school.

Buffy just hoped that she wouldn’t regret going with him, but at this point didn’t care. She sat in silence and watched the world pass her by outside the window.

Parker decided to be the one to speak first. “What’s with the long face? You look like someone that just lost a puppy.”

Buffy looked back at him when he spoke. “You could say that. It’s more like I just lost my best friend.”

Parker took on a look of concern. “Sorry to hear about that. It was their loss, whoever they are.”

Buffy gave him a small smile. “Yeah, try telling him that. I just want to forget about him right now. I wanna forget about everything.”

“Don’t worry about that. I have ways to take your mind off of it,” he said, placing his hand on her thigh.

Buffy raised her eyebrows at the gesture. “Both hands on the wheel, Parker.”

He nodded and quickly removed his hand. “Sorry, I just want you to feel better. I still care about you, Buffy. I know that I screwed up, but I’m willing to do whatever I can to make it better. You can trust me,” he explained with a soft smile.

There was something about the look on his face that proved she probably shouldn’t trust him, but all she could think about was William with Cordelia. She took a deep breath and glanced back out the window. Buffy would do whatever she could to forget about him, even if that meant going somewhere with Parker. Anything would be better than dealing with the heartache that her once best friend caused.