Chapter 2

William went to Buffy’s house over the weekend because her mother was out and they would have the place to themselves. They went into the bathroom and Buffy was looking at William, wondering what she should change first. She then had an idea.

“You ever think about going blond?”

He raised his eyebrows. “Why? Because blond seems to work for everyone?”

Buffy rolled her eyes. “Just go with me here. How about you go with a shorter, bleached blond look?”

William smiled. “Love, are you trying to turn me into Billy Idol? I know you have that obsession with him.”

Buffy smacked him lightly on the head. “Billy Idol is hot, and it’s not about you looking like him. Do you trust me or not?”

He nodded. “You know I do.”

Buffy smiled as well. “Good, then shut up and let me do this.”

William zipped his lips shut and pretended to throw away a key.

Buffy had to laugh at that. “Why do I put up with you?” she said teasingly.

William gave her another smile. “Because you love me.”

Buffy gazed at him, suddenly more serious. “Yeah, that must be it,” she replied, without him knowing how much she meant it. Buffy then started to wash his hair and gave him a little trim.

He was worried when he noticed the bleach.

“It won’t be so bad. I’ll use a few packets of sweet ‘n’ low. It takes the sting out a little. I bleach my hair all the time.”

He nodded and took in a deep breath as he waited for her to begin the torture of bleaching his hair.


* * * * *


William took a look in the mirror once Buffy was finished. He could hardly even recognize himself and smiled at that.

Buffy stood behind him to see his reaction in the mirror. “Yeah, definitely looks good. I think it brings out your eyes more, which brings up the next thing. I think you need to get contacts.”

William glanced back at her. “What’s wrong with my glasses?”

Buffy rolled her eyes, taking off his glasses and holding them out to him. “Do you even have to ask? I know you’re sick of people calling you four eyes.”

William nodded in agreement.

“We’ll get you some clear ones. There’s no way you’re changing your eye color, mister. Okay, now on to the clothes. I picked out something for you, it’s in my room.”

William followed Buffy into her room and noticed the black jeans and tight, black shirt that was on her bed. “Would that even fit?”

“I think I would know your size by now. Go get changed and then come back in here.”

He nodded and picked up the clothes. “Why does it have to be all black?”

Buffy sighed at all of his questions. So much for trusting her. “Black is in, William. I wear it all the time and you don’t see me complaining. You really need to get out of that tweed phase.”

William glanced down at the clothes he was wearing, then back at the clothes he was holding. “I’ll be right back,” he told her, heading to the bathroom.

Buffy ran her fingers through her hair and sat on her bed, thinking about how things were likely to change after this.

William walked back into the room a few minutes later.

Buffy’s eyes widened at the sight of him. With the new hair and the clothes, he was a major hottie. Not that she didn’t think he was one before, but this was definitely an improvement.

“Is it too much?” he wondered at her silence.

Buffy finally came out of her daydream when he spoke. “No, it looks good.”

William smiled at her. “Yeah, I like it. Thanks for this, Buffy. You’re a great friend.”

Buffy gave him a small smile in return. “That’s what I’m here for.”

He looked himself over one more time in the mirror before turning back to her. “Do you think Cordelia will like it?”

Buffy stood up and walked over to him. “She’d have to be crazy not to.”

He felt relieved by that, then thought about something else that was bothering him. “I think I should change my name. Just a nickname or something. I never did like William.”

Buffy didn’t think anything was wrong with his name, but she nodded anyway. “All right, you need something cool. How about Killer or Slayer?”

William laughed at those choices. “I don’t want to scare anyone that much.” He looked himself over again and noticed that his hair was spiked a little, then grinned when it came to him. “How about Spike?”

Buffy’s nose crinkled at that suggestion. “That’s a weird name.”

William rolled his eyes. “Like Buffy is so much better.”

Buffy smacked him on the arm. “There’s nothing wrong with my name,” she said with a pout.

“Whatever you say, love.”

Buffy crossed her arms over her chest, then let a smile of her own form on her lips. She moved by William and grabbed his glasses, keeping them away from him. “It looks like you might still need these. Don’t have those contacts yet,” she said, waving the glasses in the air.

He tried to grab for them, but Buffy just held them out of his reach.

“I don’t think so,” she said, moving over to her bed.

William tried to grab her.

Buffy laughed as she fell on the bed, pulling William with her. She forgot to breathe for a moment with him on top of her. His face was close to hers and she thought that he was about to kiss her, when he suddenly took the glasses out of her hand and waved them in front of her face.

“I believe these are mine.”

Buffy felt disappointed when he moved away from her.

He put his glasses back on and gave her a smile.

Buffy shook her head and stood up.

William then grabbed his other clothes and looked back at her. “We should go. I want to get those contacts as soon as I can.”

Buffy nodded as she followed William out of her room.