Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry it has been ages since I updates.. everything is hectic here! Please review!
Chapter 6: Normal

Three months since she had been diagnosed with the tumour and Buffy was truly starting to come to terms with everything. She knew that if Spike hadn’t been by her side every minute of every day then she probably wouldn’t have made it this far. She owed Spike more than he could possibly ever know.

Her friends were helping, or at least that is what they thought they were doing. Although they were supportive of what Buffy and what she was going through they where still trying to find the magical cure, that Buffy knew didn’t exist. They never accepted Spike either and that’s what hurt Buffy the most. After everything they had done to her, what gave them the right to decide who she could and couldn’t be friends with?

Dawn on the other hand, loved Spike like a brother and was thrilled when ever Spike would take them out somewhere, which he seemed to be doing a lot. Buffy had thought that the Disney Land adventure would be a one time thing, but Spike kept coming back, surprising them again and again.

They had had so much fun that night at Disney Land. They were able to go on what ever ride they pleased and there had been no queue, it had been exactly what Buffy had wanted. Her favourite ride had been the Pirates of the Caribbean. She and Dawn had ridden that one three times. Spike it was found didn’t like the rides as much, Dawn assumed it had something to do with him being 127, and Buffy agreed with her. Spike on the other hand, did not like being reminded of his age.

After that day Spike had continued to do so much for her. She wasn’t sure exactly how he knew she wanted to do these things but she wasn’t complaining.

He had taken herself and Dawn to the Ice Capades, and not only that he, had got them front row seats. She wasn’t sure how he was pulling all these miracles; he kept saying that people, or demons technically, owed him favours; she just hoped he wasn’t putting himself in danger to please her.

Dawn had been bored at the skating. It had never been her thing, Buffy however had a wonderful time, and didn’t want to go home when it was over.

Then a few weekends ago he had taken her and Dawn on a secret excursion where they had ended up at the airport. They had then flown first class to New York, which both girls loved. Buffy again wasn’t sure how Spike had got on the plane as he didn’t have any ID, but once again she chose not to complain. When they had gotten to New York it had been snowing and the whole place had looked so magical.

The first thing Spike had taken them to Central Park. After telling her to close her eyes, he had led Buffy over to the big skating pond. Buffy had been in awe as they had spent the whole evening there. It had been funny watching Spike trying to skate. He spent more time on his bum that he did on his feet. Dawn showed a talent for skating that had amazed both sisters. They were both unaware that she had had it in her.

They had only spent a few nights in New York as they had to Dawn back to school, however Buffy could have spent a lifetime there. Going back to Sunnydale had felt like torture.

However the three months hadn’t all been fun and games. Buffy was starting to deteriorate quicker than any of them had expected. She was losing her stamina, her sentences had started to become slurred and she had started to lose sections of her hair. Despite it all, she hated when anyone would give her pity. She was still the slayer and she wouldn’t take pity from anyone.

Her friends had noticed the change in her and it scared them. Their friend who was once so strong now looked so weak. Each of them was determined to find the cure.

Giles, unable to watch her die, had gone back to England on the pretence of finding a cure there, but each knew the real reason he had gone.

Buffy started to wear wigs to cover the balding patches and wore more make-up to hide her gaunt eyes.

No matter what she looked like Spike still thought she was the most beautiful person he had ever seen—in his life or his unlife.

***
Waking up one morning, Buffy stretched out in her bed to find a single rose. Picking it up, she brought it to her nose and smelled the sweet smell of the petals. Next to the rose was a simple note written on her pink writing paper.

It simply said on it “Downstairs”

Glancing at the clock she saw that it was ten 0’clock so Dawn would already be at school.

Slipping on her slippers and her dressing gown, she tied the sash round her tight and headed downstairs. The smell of cooking assaulted her senses.

As she entered the kitchen she saw Spike stood by the stove. His back was turned to her and he seemed to be humming some form of punk song that Buffy didn’t recognise.

As he heard Buffy approach he spun around. Buffy could help but laugh as she looked at him. He was stood there wearing the most feminine apron she owed.

“Don’t laugh Missy. It’s the only one I could find.”

Trying to suppress the giggle she sat down at one of the stools at the kitchen counter.

“So what are you doing?”

“What’s it sodding look like I am doing?”

“Burning a hole in my pans?”

Spike threw the t-towel he was holding at her, which Buffy carefully caught.

“I’ll have a little less of your lip, for your information I am making you breakfast. Now sit there, shut up, and eat.”

“Yes sir.” Buffy did a mock salute before looking down at the plate Spike had put in front of her. It contains eggs, sausage, French toast, tomatoes cut into little shapes and beans.

Spike suddenly became serious “If you can’t eat it all I understand, I know you don’t have the appetite like you … well you know.” Realising he nearly said ‘used to’ he suddenly went quiet.

“It’s ok Spike, Thank you for this.” Tucking in, it wasn’t long before Buffy had finished the entire plate and two glasses of orange juice. Spike looked on amazed.

“Well then, I guess you were hungry. You go up those stairs then, go get dressed, put on your slap and meet me down here in 15 minutes. I mean it missy don’t be late.”

Hopping down from the stool she darted up the stairs.

Ten minutes later she was showered and dressed and ready for what Spike had in store.

Wearing jeans and a white tank top she headed downstairs.

However she couldn’t find Spike anywhere.

“Spike? Are you down here? Where are you?

Stepping out side onto the veranda she found Spike in the shade smoking a cigarette.

“There you are, I was looking for you.”

Throwing his cigarette butt down and crushing it under his foot he turned to look at her, surprised to see she was ready.

“Wow, is this Buffy Summers I see before my eyes. Surely not, she hasn’t been up stairs for the last half an hour.”

“Spike!” She said, hitting him in the chest as he looked at her with a smirk on his face.

“Are you ready for the day I have planned then?”

Buffy looked at him with apprehension, “Umm I think so.”

“Well then let’s be off.”

“I just need to grab my bag.” Turning towards the door again she felt Spike stop her.

“No you don’t. You won’t need any money today.” Picking his blanket up from the porch swing he then met Buffy by his car that had been parked on their drive since the trip to Disney Land.

Climbing in to the blacked out car, Buffy turned to look at Spike, “Where are we off to?”

“Like I said, love, it’s a surprise.” Starting the engine he drove off.

They only drove for about ten minutes, when Spike pulled into a big car park.

“Spike, I know you hate me and all, but bringing me to the mall when I wasn’t allowed to bring money. That’s just mean.”

Spike once again chuckled at her girly pout. “Don’t hate you love,” Parking as close to the entrance as possible, Spike grabbed his blanket off the back seat and ran to the entrance, leaving Buffy to follow after him.

Once inside he pulled the blanket off oblivious to the peculiar looks he was receiving. “Right then, where first?”

Buffy just looked at him like he had grown an extra head.

“Come on, pet, one time offer here. I’m buying.”

Buffy didn’t need to be told twice, smiling like a little girl who had just got the birthday present she had always wanted she ran off leaving Spike to trail after her.

***
After an hour and a half Buffy’s energy had evaporated. Exhausted, she slumped down into a comfy chair at Starbucks, shopping bags surrounding her feet.

Carrying the last few bags Spike went and sat in the chair opposite. “Do you want me to get you a drink, Buffy?”

Trying to get her breath back she spoke with a wheeze. “No, I’ll, be, fine. Just, need, a, moment.”

It scared Spike at times to see Buffy like this; it just showed how fast she was deteriorating. Refusing to let her see his fear, he placed the bags down by her feet and went and got her a caramel mocha despite her complaints that she didn’t need one.

As he waited for their coffees to be ready, Spike did a mental calculation in his head over how much he had spend on his girl today. It came in at around the $3000 mark. As he looked over at her sat slumped in the chair with a smile on her face like the cat who had got the cream, he knew he would spend it a thousand times over to make her that happy.

As he watched he could see that she was already trying to muster up the energy to look through her bags.

Spike knew it must be so hard for her to be this weak. She was the girl that made demons shake in their boots and now she couldn’t even shop for two hours without collapsing.

“Sir!”

The voice of the boy behind the counter brought Spike out of his thoughts. Looking over his shoulder he saw that the boy was handing him their drinks. Putting the cookie he had bought Buffy into his pocket he carefully carried the hot drinks over to the table.

“Thank you, Spike.” Knowing she meant more than just thank you for the drink, he decided not to say anything.

Empting his pockets he handed her the cookie and a handful of sugar packets. Smiling Buffy poured two into her drink.

“So, pet, what’s your favourite thing we bought today then?”

“Ohh tough question, that’s like asking my favourite child, if I had kids…you know what I mean.”

“Something you not telling me pet?” Spike raised an eyebrow at her.

“Nooo, nothing to tell there.”

“Anyway, love, you didn’t answer my question.”

“Ok, so favourite thing I bought, well you bought, umm probably the Jimmy Choo shoes. I have always wanted a pair. When I will wear them I don’t know, but they are gorgeous.”

“I’m sure we can find you a time to wear them.”

Smiling at each other they finished their drinks with comfortable easy chit chat between them, like they were old friends or even lovers.

As they finished their drinks, Spike stood up and picked up every bag in his left hand.

“Well then milady. Do you want to shop some more?”

Buffy looked torn, she wanted to shop until she dropped, but the truth was she was dropping. “I don’t know Spike.”

Spike could see the indecision written across her face. “It’s ok Buffy we can come back another day, do just as much shopping then.”

Biting her lip Buffy nodded her head, “Take me home, please.”

Helping her stand, Spike slipped his right arm around her waist and helped the flagging Buffy back to the car, and home to her bed.

***
Buffy had only just sat down on the settee when Willow came through the door.

“Oh Buffy, I am glad you are here. Oh hey, Spike.” Seeing Spike sat on the other side of the room she gave him a little wave, Spike nodded his head slightly in recognition. Turning back to Buffy, Willow went and sat down on the settee next to her.

“Look I am just going to say this. I am sorry Buffy. I know that isn’t what you want to hear but I have to say it. You are my best friend Buffy and I didn’t want to lose you; I was scared and selfish. I get that now, I do. But I miss you Buffy. I miss talking to you, sharing my secrets with you all of it. Tara and I are going through a few problems and I miss having you to talk about it with,” Tears had started to run down Willows checks now.

As she saw her friend crying, Buffy’s resolve to stay cross at her started to weaken.

“Buffy, I don’t know what you are going through, but I do want to help. I don’t mean by finding a spell, I’m done Buffy, if you don’t want me to look, I’ll stop. But I’ll still be here. I’ll be here to the very end, no matter what. You are my best friend Buffy I am not going to let you face this alone.”

Tears were now starting to run out Buffy’s eyes too. “I am not alone Will, I have Spike.”

“I know, Buffy he’s part of your life now I get that. Xander and I have been talking and he accepts it too, though he might not say it to your face. We understand. He isn’t going anywhere and none of us expect him to. He’s the best thing for you right now. I just want to be here too, Buffy.”

“Will, I want you here too. But you have to promise me you will stop looking for the magical cure that doesn’t exist. I can’t cope with you constantly telling me you might have found something then having that hope disappear. That’s worse than the cancer, Will.”

“It’s done. No more spells. I will do anything you want Buffy, anything. Just let me in, please?”

The tears were now starting to obstruct both their visions, Buffy felt her throat close up, so she just nodded.

Leaning over, Willow gave her a tight hug only letting go when she heard Spike clear his throat behind her.

“Touching as all this girly laddy da-ness is, Buffy needs to rest, Red. Do you want to go up to your bed, pet?”

“No, Spike, I’ll stay here if that’s ok? Could I have a cup of cocoa though?”

“ ‘Course. Red do you want to help me in the kitchen?”

Willow knew it wasn’t a question so much as a request. Leaving Buffy to have a little sleep she followed Spike into the kitchen.

“Look Red, Buffy does need you, but if you try anything funny, like another spell, I swear to god I will rip your head from your shoulders.”

“Spike I’m not gonna hurt her. I meant everything I said in there.”

“That’s alright then. Red I’ll need you here tonight, you and the boy, Glinda as well if she wants to come and Anya. Dress up a bit it ok?”

“Ok.” Willow looked at Spike dubiously but he was giving no more away.

Making the cocoa he took it to Buffy leaving Willow stood there alone in the kitchen.

***
At exactly 7.30 p.m. Xander knocked on the door, Spike went to open it. Seeing Spike stood there Xander sneered before pushing past him and went and sat down on the settee. Anya followed in behind him.

“So, captain peroxide, where’s Buffster and Will?”

“Getting sodding ready, you nit.”

Huffing, Xander turned away from Spike, but not before Spike heard him whisper to Anya, “You sure he’s the right thing for Buffy, ‘cause I don’t think she is thinking too clearly at the moment.”

“Xander shut up. If Buffy wants him as her ogasaming friend then that’s her choice. You aren’t her boyfriend, Xander, you’re mine, start acting like it.”

Spike smiled to himself that Xander thought he and Buffy where having sex. If he saw her for longer than half and hour he would have seen that she didn’t have the stamina for sex. Seeing how the thought of the two of them together was getting his knickers in such a twist, though, he decided not to correct him. Walking out the lounge he went up the stairs and went and knocked of Buffy’s door.

“It’s me. You ready yet pet?”

“Come in, Spike.”

Pushing the door open, he saw Buffy sat at her dressing table. She was wearing a knee length black skirt and floaty white top and the new Jimmy Choo shoes she had bought that morning and loved so much. She had attached a small hair piece to her head to hide the slight hair loss and she wore minimal make-up. Overall she looked radiant.

“Spike, I’m not so sure about this.” Indecision surrounded her face.

“Buffy, trust me, you look bloody gorgeous. I just wish I could come with you tonight to fight off all the wankers that think they can dance with you.”

Buffy suddenly looked shocked “You’re not coming?!”

“No, love. Tonight it’s just you and your friends. I am going to be demon hunting. Tonight, pet, there are no demons. Tonight you are simply Buffy Summers.”

Buffy understood what he was saying, he was giving her something she had wanted for a long time, the chance to be normal.

Smiling she stood up, giving Spike one last smile she walked past him she went into Willow’s room.

Collecting their things, Spike watched as they all left the house smiling. Buffy looked happier than he had seen her in a long time. Tonight she wasn’t Buffy Summers, Chosen One doomed to save the earth from demons, tonight she was Buffy Summers 20-year-old having a good time with her friends.

Taking the list out of his pocket he crossed off number 4 and 6. Five down, four to go.

TBC…