Chapter 3

A week went by and Xander still couldn’t figure out a way to send William back. He got to his destination and took a deep breath before he knocked on the apartment door. He didn’t want to tell anyone about William, but he realized he didn’t have a choice and really hoped they would be able to help him. Xander smiled when the familiar red head opened the door. “Hey, Willow. You got a second?” Willow nodded and let him into the apartment, closing the door once he was inside. He saw that Willow’s girlfriend, Tara was there and he gave her a smile also.

“So, what’s up?” Willow asked him and he then explained to her everything that happened. Willow was surprised when he was finished. “He’s from the year 1880? Xander, how could you mess with spells like that? They can be dangerous.” She stated.

“How did I know it was gonna work? I was just messing around. You know me, Will. I never believe in that stuff like you do.” Willow sighed as she looked at her friend.

“Well, maybe you should have. Where is he now?” She asked.

“He’s at the house with Buffy. They’ve gotten kinda close since he’s been here.” Willow raised her eyebrows.

“How close?” She wondered.

“A little too close.” He mumbled and Willow heard him.

“Xander, you have to tell Buffy the truth.” Xander knew she would say that.

“Do I really have to? I don’t see why she has to know at all.” Willow rolled her eyes.

“Because it’s obvious that she’s falling for him. Have you known Buffy to ever really fall for a guy, Xander? I mean really.” Xander shook his head and Willow wasn’t finished. “That’s because she never lets anyone in. What happened the last few times she actually let a guy in?” Xander’s eyes grew big when he realized what Willow was implying.

“They left her.” He replied quietly and Willow nodded.

“Exactly, which is what is going to happen when we figure out how to send William back. You shouldn’t have let them get so close.” Xander sighed.

“I talked to William and told him it wasn’t a good idea, he obviously didn’t listen.” Willow crossed her arms over her chest.

“You should have talked to Buffy. You should have told her the truth from the start. Tara and I will do some research and try to find a way to send him back, but you need to tell Buffy the truth. If you don’t, I will.” Xander knew he was beat as he nodded.

“Alright, I’ll tell her. That won’t be an easy conversation though.” Willow nodded also as Xander left the apartment. Tara walked over to Willow and put her arms around her.

“She’ll be okay.” She said like she knew what Willow was thinking.

“I hope so; I just can’t help feeling bad for her. I mean, she finally finds a decent guy and he isn’t even from this generation.” Tara nodded.

“You can’t help who you fall in love with, sweetie. Maybe they were meant to find each other. Just like I was meant to find you.” Willow smiled at her girlfriend and gave her a soft kiss on the lips.

“I know you’re right, but it just doesn’t seem fair.” Willow replied sadly as Tara continued to hold her.


* * * * *


“It really is beautiful here.” William said as he stared out at the ocean.

“You really like the water, don’t you?” Buffy asked as she watched him and he turned to look at her.

“Yes, ever since I was a boy.” He reached his hand out to her and she took it as he pulled her closer. “This last week has been the best of my life, Buffy. I never knew I could feel this way.” He said as he touched her cheek and she looked into his eyes.

“I know what you mean.” He moved closer and kissed her on the lips and she didn’t hesitate as she kissed him back. He pulled away and rested his head on hers.

“Effulgent,” he whispered and Buffy smiled at him.

“Is that even a word?” He returned her smile.

“It describes you perfectly, my love.” Buffy blushed as he kissed her again.


* * * * *


They got back to the house about an hour later to find Xander in the living room and he looked a little distressed. “Hey, who died?” Buffy said jokingly when she saw the look on Xander’s face and he didn’t even crack a smile, which then made her worried. “Oh my god, who died?” She asked suddenly wondering and Xander gave her a small smile, so she wouldn’t worry so much.

“It’s nothing like that, Buff. I need to talk to you. Would you mind, William?” Xander asked and William nodded.

“Right, of course.” He replied as he grabbed Buffy’s hand and gave it a kiss before he left them alone to talk. Buffy smiled when he left and then grew serious as she looked at her brother.

“Okay, what’s wrong?” Xander sighed and ran his fingers through his hair.

“There’s something I have to tell you about William. He isn’t who you think he is.” Buffy was already confused.

“What do you mean?” Xander decided to start from the beginning.

“It all started when I found this book at the library...” He started to say when Buffy cut him off.

“You were at the library? You know where the library is?” Xander rolled his eyes.

“That’s not the point right now. What I’m trying to say is that this book I found was a spell book. I just got it for the hell of it because I thought it looked cool and it’s not like I really believed the spells in it would work. Well, I decided to try one about a week ago. I somehow opened a portal and I sucked William through. He’s not from around here and when I say that, I mean he’s really not from around here. He’s from 1880, Buffy.” He finished and couldn’t tell what she was thinking, when she suddenly started to laugh. She stopped when she realized that Xander wasn’t laughing.

“You’re serious?” Xander nodded.

“I wouldn’t lie about something like this. I’ve been trying to find a way to send him back all week. I just came back from Willow’s hoping that she could help because I suck at this stuff. I shouldn’t have messed with it in the first place. I’m really sorry I didn’t tell you, Buffy. I was hoping it wouldn’t come to that, but when I saw how close you and William were getting I knew I had to tell you.” Buffy took everything he said in and then nodded. Xander noticed that she had tears in her eyes.

“I knew it was too good to be true. I guess I should have figured it out. I mean no guy could possibly be that sweet and be real. Not in this time anyway.” Xander was really regretting his actions when he saw how upset his sister was.

“I’m so sorry, Buffy. I wish I never found that book. I wish I never brought him here.” Buffy looked up at Xander when he said that.

“No, don’t wish that. I’m really glad you brought him here, Xander. I’m glad I got the chance to meet him, even if it was for only a short while. William opened up my eyes a little. He made me realize that not all guys are evil. That there are some out there that are worth trusting. I see that now.” Xander was surprised at how grown up Buffy seemed.

“If it was up to me you know I would let him stay here, but he has responsibilities in his time. He was about to become King before I brought him here.” He explained.

“He’s going to be a King?” She asked and Xander nodded.

“Yeah, that’s what he said.” Buffy was even more surprised.

“Wow, I can’t believe he would have ever been interested in me.” Xander smiled as he put his arm around Buffy.

“You’re better than you think you are. If royalty can see it, then anyone can.” Buffy smiled as she thought about what Xander said and everything she just found out. Her smile then faded when she thought about William. She would have to have a talk with him.