Chapter 10

Spike was sitting by Buffy's side holding her hand. He looked up when he felt her move and saw that her eyes were starting to open. He smiled and touched her face. "Hey, how do you feel?" She tried to sit up a little and he helped her.

"Okay, I guess. What happened? Is the baby okay?" She wondered in a worried tone and Spike nodded.

"The baby's fine, love. I think Lexa is proof of that." Buffy looked around.

"Where is she?" Spike brushed her hair out of her face.

"She went to tell your mates about what happened. They should be here soon." Buffy let out the breath that she was holding.

"So, what did happen?" Spike smiled at her.

"There was a fight and Lexa killed Lucas. You would have been proud of her." Buffy smiled back at him and lay her head back down.

"I am, but I'm also kinda tired." Spike bent down and kissed her on the forehead.

"Just rest, pet. I'll let them know that everything's alright when they get here." Buffy nodded and then drifted off to sleep. Spike stayed with her, until the others showed up.


* * * * *


Buffy was released the next night and Giles was helping her into the house. "Giles, I'm fine. I can walk on my own." She told him.

"Right, of course." Giles said as he let her go. They walked into the living room to find the others all in there. Dawn went to Buffy's side.

"Are you sure you're okay?" Buffy smiled at her sister.

"Yes, I'm fine. Really guys, there's nothing to worry about. The doctor said everything was okay." Dawn nodded and Buffy sat down on the couch between Spike and Lexa. Spike put his arm around her. Lexa looked at all of them and seemed a little sad. She knew that it was time as she stood up. Buffy looked up at her. "Hey, where are you going?" Lexa looked back at her.

"I have to go back. I did what I came here for. I have to be at the cemetery by midnight because that's when the portal would open to take me home." Buffy stood up and went to her side. She put her arm around her.

"I'm sure things will be better when you go back. I have a feeling that I have a longer life ahead of me now. You don't have to worry about growing up without me because I'll always be around. You'll learn to be sick of me." Lexa smiled at that.

"I doubt it." She said as she hugged her mother. Spike got up and went over to his girls. He put his arms around both of them and then saw the look on Dawn's face.

"Come here, nibblet." Dawn smiled and went over to them and Spike put his arms around her, too. They were all his girls, his family. He pulled away and then looked at Lexa. "I guess we better get you to the cemetery, we only have about a half an hour until midnight." Lexa nodded and she gave everybody a hug saying that she'll see them soon. She smiled at Xander and saw that he looked a bit uncomfortable when she hugged him.

"Don't worry about it, Xander. You're a great uncle." He smiled at her and she then walked out of the house. Buffy and Spike right behind her.


* * * * *


They got to the cemetery and Lexa stopped at the spot where she first arrived there. They had a few minutes left. "Well, I guess this is it." She said as she looked down.

"Hey, I'll get to see you in about 7 months. I'm sure you were a beautiful baby." Buffy said and Lexa smiled.

"Yeah, I was that." They all felt a gust of wind and looked to see the portal opening. Lexa turned back to look at them. She gave them both one last hug before pulling away. "Thank you, for everything." She said and Buffy touched her hair.

"No, thank you." Lexa gave her another smile and then looked at Spike.

"You take care of yourself, sweetheart. We'll meet again." He told her and she nodded and then headed for the portal. She looked at them one last time before she took a deep breath and walked into the portal. It closed behind her and it was just Buffy and Spike left in the cemetery. Spike looked at Buffy. "I guess we better be getting back." Buffy took his hand and gave it a squeeze.

"I have another idea. I think I wanna visit mom's grave. I want her to know everything about her granddaughter." Spike smiled and pulled Buffy in the direction of Joyce's grave.

"Yeah, that's a good idea." They walked to the tombstone and sat in front of it. Spike put his hand on Buffy's stomach and she smiled at him. They both then turned back to the grave and Buffy started to talk to her mother, knowing that she was listening. Spike just watched her and when she was done, she leaned her head on his shoulder. He kissed her hair and then put his hand in his pocket. "I wanted to give you something." He said and she lifted her head up to look at him.

"What?" She asked him and he looked nervous as he pulled the black box out of his pocket.

"This doesn't have to mean anything, but I wanted you to have it." Buffy took the box and opened it to reveal an elegant, diamond ring. She gasped when she saw it and then looked back at Spike.

"It's beautiful, but I can't take this. It must have cost a fortune." Spike shrugged and looked shy for a moment.

"It's priceless actually, it belonged to my mother." Buffy was even more surprised.

"Wow, I really wouldn't feel right about keeping it now. She obviously left it to you for a reason." Spike smiled at her and took the ring out of the box. He placed it on her finger to find that it was a perfect fit.

"It was meant for you, pet. My mum gave this to me before I left for Oxford. She told me to keep it close to me and give it to the woman that would steal my heart one day and that's exactly what I did." Buffy had tears in her eyes at what he was saying.

"What about Drusilla or Cecily? There were obviously others before me." Spike shook his head.

"Well, you know about what happened with Cecily. She didn't love me and there was no way she would have accepted it. Drusilla wouldn't have wanted it either, she wasn't that into jewelry. She was more into human hearts and that wasn't really my thing. Angelus was more into that. Besides, when I was with Dru there was always this annoying voice in my head that told me to wait. It told me that something better would come into my life and I listened to it." He smiled as he looked at Buffy. "That was probably the best thing I ever did. It was definitely meant for you, Buffy. I know my mum would be proud about my decision." Buffy gave him a smile as the tears still fell down her face.

"I wish I could have met her." Spike touched her face and wiped some of her tears away.

"She would have loved you." He then moved his hand back to her stomach and let it rest there. "Everything will work out, Buffy. We're going to raise her together, there's no way I'm losing you." She smiled and looked at the ring on her finger.

"Well, I have to say that it's much better than the skull ring." Spike smiled remembering when he gave her that as an engagement ring during the spell a few years ago.

"Yeah, which I don't remember getting back by the way." Buffy looked away shyly.

"You sure? I could have sworn I gave it back to you." Spike shook his head.

"Nope, think I would have remembered if you did." Buffy shrugged.

"Oh, probably just lost it then." Spike smiled and hugged her to him.

"I'm sure you did, I'll let it go. Just take good care of this one." He said as he touched the ring on her finger. She looked at it and back at him.

"Always," she replied. He looked in her eyes and she touched his face and kissed him softly on the lips. She then leaned her head on his chest and looked at her mother's grave. No more words needed to be said. Buffy then placed her hand over his that was still on her stomach. A smile graced her lips and she knew that everything would be okay.

The End