Chapter 11

Buffy and Spike were out walking the streets of London about a month later.

She loved every minute that she got to spend with him and knew she could never have this freedom in Sunnydale. She has kept in touch with Dawn and her other friends, but she refused to talk to her parents. She didn’t think she was ready to face them yet. Buffy liked talking with Spike’s mother. She was a very kind and gentle person. Buffy found herself opening up to the woman. She only wished that she could have that same relationship with her own mother. She only had one worry at the moment. School would be starting again soon and she knew that she would have to go back to Sunnydale to finish her senior year. She wanted to graduate and maybe she could come back to England for college. She just didn’t think she could go back home and deal with the same rules. Things had to change if she was ever going to be able to live in that house again.

Buffy pushed all those thoughts away for the moment and instead focused on the man that was walking next to her. She saw that he was also deep in thought and wondered what he was thinking about. She pulled on his hand to get his attention. “Hey, what’s on your mind?” she said to break the silence.

He only gave her a small smile. “It’s nothing for you to worry your pretty little head about.”

“Come on, Spike. I know something’s bothering you.”

He let out a sigh and thought about what to say to her. “I’m just worried about what’s going to happen when I have to take you back. I know you can’t stay here forever, but I guess a part of me wishes you could.”

Buffy nodded. “I have to finish school, Spike. As much as I would love to stay here with you. It doesn’t have to be so bad, though. We’ll still be able to see each other and I can come back once I graduate.”

Spike didn’t seem convinced. “You really think your parents will let you continue to see me?”

Buffy took a deep breath. “It doesn’t matter. They can’t make my decisions for me anymore. I’m hoping the time that I spent away will help them realize that. They have to see that I’m an adult now and start treating me like one. No one will ever stop me from seeing you, Spike.”

He smiled and lowered his head to plant a sweet kiss on her lips. “I wouldn’t let them,” he told her with a wink. He took her hand in his and continued the walk in silence.


* * * * *


Spike and Buffy were headed back to the house about an hour later, when someone suddenly bumped into them.

The woman clearly wasn’t watching where she was going. “Oh, terribly sorry,” she said with a giggle. Her eyes bulged when she recognized Spike. “William, is that you? It’s been quite a while. You’re looking rather good these days.”

Buffy didn’t know who the woman was and the look on Spike’s face showed that it wasn’t someone he liked to see.

He only glared at her.

Buffy wondered why he looked so upset.

“I would say it’s good to see you, but then I would be lying.”

She managed to look a little ashamed. “I suppose I deserve that. Are you going to introduce me to your little friend?” she wondered, staring at Buffy.

Spike decided to introduce them, but kept the glare on his face. “This is Buffy, my girlfriend.”

She gave the woman a small smile, which quickly faded when Spike said the next part.

“Buffy, this is Cecily.”

She then felt anger inside of her when she realized this was the girl that Spike used to date. The one that broke his heart, but she decided to be civil for his sake. “It’s nice to meet you,” she said with a fake smile now.

Cecily looked her up and down, clearly not pleased with what she was seeing. She was shocked that Spike had a girlfriend and an American one at that. She didn’t even acknowledge Buffy and just turned her gaze back on Spike. “So, I see you’ve been busy.”

Spike nodded and put his arm around Buffy. “You could say that. We’ll just be going now. Oh, one more thing.” He moved closer to her. “I don’t appreciate you looking at Buffy like she’s beneath you. She’s a far better woman than you could ever be. It’s funny that I had to go all the way to America to figure that out. I guess England is just filled with heartless snobs that I would rather not associate with.”

Buffy had to smile at what Spike said, while Cecily looked outraged.

“How dare you speak to me like that! Do you have any idea who my father is?”

Spike rolled his eyes. He couldn’t believe that he ever fell for her. “I know who your bloody father is and I could care less. You can’t depend on Daddy for the rest of your life. I never told you this, but you ending our relationship was the best thing that could have happened to me. It brought me to Buffy and I wouldn’t change that for anything in the world.”

Cecily was steamed.

Buffy could practically see the smoke coming out of her ears.

“You actually think this trollop is better than me? You must be out of your mind,” she spat.

Buffy looked like she was about to rip into her, but Spike shook his head and placed his hand on her arm. He only gave Cecily a look of pure malice. He wouldn’t let her get to him anymore.

“Have a nice life, Cecily,” he told her.

She glared at both of them and started to walk away.

Buffy had an idea and stepped on Cecily’s long skirt, causing it to fall down and reveal her white underwear.

Cecily was mortified and let out a scream. She pulled her skirt up and ran off, without even bothering to look back at them.

Buffy gave Spike an innocent look. “Oops, she really shouldn’t have been wearing that.”

Spike laughed and grabbed her hand, leading her in the other direction. “You really are an amazing woman, Summers.”

She shrugged. “I do what I can.”

They then continued the walk back to his house.


* * * * *


Buffy and Spike were smiling when they finally entered the house, only to stop when they saw Anne standing there with the phone in her hand.

Her attention was on Buffy. “There’s a young girl on the telephone for you.”

Buffy figured it was Dawn and took the phone from Anne, then walked into the living room to talk in private.

Spike smiled at his mother and couldn’t wait to tell her about what happened with Cecily. He was about to say something, until Buffy got off of the phone and joined them.

He was concerned when he saw the look on her face. “Love, what’s wrong?”

Buffy took a deep breath before she spoke. “It’s my dad. He’s...He’s in the hospital. Dawn said he was in a car accident.”

Spike noticed the tears in Buffy’s eyes and went over to give her a hug.

She wrapped her arms around him in return and buried her face in his chest.

He sighed and held her tighter.

It looked like they would be going back to Sunnydale sooner than they thought.