Chapter 6

Buffy and Spike were kissing by the back of her house when he dropped her off the next day.

She figured that was a safe enough place. Or so she thought. She pulled away and was about to say something, but another voice stopped her.

“Elizabeth, get in here right now!”

Buffy moved away from Spike to see her father standing there, with an angry expression on his face. She knew she was in trouble when he used her real name.

Spike decided to remain quiet, not knowing what to do.

“Dad...” she started to say, but her father cut her off.

“I don’t want to hear anything from you right now. Say goodbye to your friend and get in this house.”

Buffy looked at Spike apologetically and walked over to her father.

Spike watched as Hank slammed the door once Buffy was inside, wishing he could be in there with her.


* * * * *


“Hank, what’s going on?” Joyce asked when she noticed her scared daughter and angry husband.

Hank turned his glare on her. “Why don’t you ask your daughter what she has been doing? She has been sneaking around with some punk.” He turned back to Buffy. “One of the neighbors saw you and was kind enough to let me know.”

Buffy forgot about the fact that she might have to deal with nosy neighbors, but she only grew angry at what her father said. “He’s not a punk! You don’t even know him!” she exclaimed.

“Don’t you use that tone of voice with me, young lady. How long has this been going on behind our backs?”

Buffy took a deep breath before she answered. “It’s been a few weeks. I couldn’t tell you because I knew you would react like this.”

Joyce finally decided to speak up. “Buffy, you know you can come to us.”

She gave a humorless laugh. “When would be the right time? You never listen to me. You’re too busy trying to control my life.”

Joyce was about to respond, but Hank didn’t let her.

“This ends here, Buffy. You are not to see him again, do you understand me?”

Buffy was prepared for this conversation, but she wasn’t going to back down. “Newsflash, Father. I’m eighteen-years-old now. You can’t tell me who I can and cannot see. I make my own decisions.”

Hank was fuming at her lack of respect. “I will not have my daughter acting like some slut. You are to be with a good man like Riley Finn.”

Buffy rolled her eyes. “You really don’t get it, do you? Riley is already seeing someone, Dad. He doesn’t like to be set up just as much as I don’t. We both want to live our own lives. He fell in love with someone different, just like I did.”

Hank was surprised now. “You’re just a child. You don’t know what love is.”

Buffy gave him a hard stare. “I know more about it than you do. I love him and no one is going to tell me that I don’t understand that.”

Hank threw his hands up in the air. “I will not listen to this. As long as you live under my roof, you will obey my rules.”

“Maybe I don’t want to be living under your roof. I’d rather die than live in this hellhole any longer,” she spat.

Hank retaliated by slapping Buffy across the face.

Joyce gasped and brought her hand to her mouth.

Buffy just touched her stinging cheek. She felt tears form in her eyes.

Hank then grabbed her by the arm and pulled her upstairs. He threw Buffy into her room, causing her to fall to the floor. “I will not have you make a fool of me, you little brat. You will do as I say and that’s final. You are not to leave this room until you come to your senses, is that clear?” He didn’t bother to wait for a response and slammed the door closed, locking it on the outside so she wouldn’t be able to get out.

Buffy then couldn’t hold her tears in anymore and buried her face in her hands, crying her heart out.


* * * * *


Dawn snuck out of the house, while her parents were arguing. She heard what happened with Buffy and she had to do something. She found him waiting by the tree in front of the house.

“You’re Spike, right?”

He nodded. “I take it you would be Dawn?”

She nodded as well and thought about what to say. “Things were pretty bad in there. Did you hear anything?”

Spike sighed and looked up at Buffy’s window. “I heard a little, but I couldn’t take it. I couldn’t take listening and not being able to do anything. Is she all right?” he wondered.

Dawn could tell by the sound of his voice that he was really worried about her sister. “He locked her in her room. I don’t think she’ll risk sneaking out of the window right now. You should probably stay away for a bit, just until things cool down.”

Spike shook his head. “I can’t stay away from her. I have to get her out of there.”

Dawn figured this would be difficult. “There’s nothing you can do right now. I’ll find a way to help Buffy. You don’t wanna deal with my dad, trust me,” she explained.

He nodded and moved away from the tree. “You’ll make sure she’s okay?”

“Yeah, I’m on it.”

Spike smiled at the girl. “Thanks, nibblet.”

Dawn smiled at the name he gave her.

He took one more look at the house before walking in the other direction.

Dawn sighed and watched him go. She then turned back to her house. She couldn’t believe the way her father acted. It wasn’t fair and she knew that she had to find a way to help Buffy. Dawn hasn’t been the best sister in the world, but she wanted to make up for that. Anyway she could.