Chapter 9

Buffy snuck in through her window and wasn’t surprised to see Dawn there. She gave her sister a smile.

Dawn smiled in return, even though her heart wasn’t in it. She had a feeling about why Buffy came back. “You’re going away, aren’t you?”

Buffy nodded. “I have to, Dawny. I’m going to England with Spike. I hope you can understand.”

Dawn nodded after a few seconds and hugged her older sister. “I’ll miss you.”

Buffy rubbed Dawn’s back. “I’ll miss you, too. Try to stay out of trouble.”

Dawn pulled out of the embrace. “You know me.”

Buffy smiled again and started to pack more of her stuff. She got everything she needed, then turned back to Dawn. She wanted to hurry up since Spike was waiting for her. She took a paper out of her pocket and handed it to her sister.

Dawn took it and was a little confused.

“It’s a letter for Mom and Dad. I can’t face them. I want you to wait a few minutes after I leave and then give it to them. It should explain everything. They have to realize that I’m not a little kid anymore and that I’ll be okay,” she explained.

Dawn clutched the letter to her chest. “Will I ever see you again?” she wondered, tears forming in her eyes.

“Of course you will. I just need to give them some time. When I come back, I’m sure things will be different. I just need to get away for a while.”

Dawn nodded in understanding. “Good luck,” she told her.

Buffy smiled and placed a kiss on Dawn’s forehead. “Take care, kid.”

Dawn rolled her eyes and watched Buffy make her way out of the window. “I’m not a kid,” she called out once her sister hit the ground.

Buffy only waved to her and ran to where Spike was waiting.

Dawn smiled and was happy that her sister finally felt free. Her smile quickly faded when she looked down at the note in her hand. She took a deep breath to calm her nerves, then left the room.


* * * * *


Dawn found her parents downstairs in the living room, arguing about something again.

They stopped when they noticed her.

Joyce wondered what could have put the distressed look on her daughter’s face. “What’s wrong, sweetie?” she asked.

Dawn then handed her the letter, without saying anything.

Joyce took it from her and gasped at what she read. Her hand went to her mouth and tears started to fall from her eyes.

Hank looked concerned and grabbed the letter out of his wife’s hands when she finished. He then had a look of anger on his face when he started to read it. His expression soon changed to one of hurt and he didn’t know what to think about that.

Dawn decided to head back upstairs before they started to argue again.

Instead of a fight, Joyce only looked at Hank with a mixture of pain and hatred on her face. She shook her head as the tears continued to fall. “I will never forgive you for causing my baby to leave,” she said harshly, then walked away from him.

Hank only stared after her. His family was falling apart and it was all his fault. He thought he was doing the right thing, but nothing was worse than having your child run away from home.


* * * * *


They were on their way to England later that night.

Buffy was gripping the armrests enough to make her knuckles turn white. She was terrified of flying, but she would risk it right about now.

Spike placed his hand over hers, giving it a comforting squeeze. “Just take deep breaths, love. We’ll be there before you know it.”

She nodded and glanced at him. “You probably think I’m a big baby.”

He smiled and pressed his lips to her cheek. “I think you’re bloody adorable. There’s nothing wrong with being afraid. Just know that I’ll always be here for you.”

Buffy felt touched at his words. She knew that he would never hurt her. She trusted him with her life and that was a very comforting thought. The flight didn’t seem so scary anymore. “I love you,” she whispered.

Spike would never get tired of hearing that. “I love you, too,” he replied, placing a kiss on her lips. A smirk then formed on his face.

Buffy wondered what put it there, but she didn’t have to wonder for long.

“So, you want to take a visit to the loo?”

Her eyes bulged at what he was implying. “I am so not having sex in a tiny airplane bathroom,” she said a little too loudly.

A gasp suddenly came from behind her.

She turned to see a mother covering her son’s ears, who looked to be about nine-years-old.

The woman glared at Buffy.

She turned back around and slouched down in her seat, feeling completely mortified.

Spike still had a smile on his face. “It would take your mind off of things.”

Buffy shook her head. “It’s not happening. I’ll just have to think of something else to take my mind off of things.”

Spike wanted to do whatever he could to help her with that. He started to lick her neck, knowing that was a sensitive spot for her. He then nibbled her earlobe and sucked on it. He smiled when he heard Buffy giggle and pulled away to look at her.

“That tickles,” she stated.

He gave her a wink and went back to what he was doing.

She felt better and soon managed to fall asleep.

Spike watched over her and couldn’t believe everything that happened the last few weeks. He came to Sunnydale to get away for a while, but he never counted on meeting the woman of his dreams. He knew from the moment he first saw her at the Bronze that she was something special. He was worried that she wouldn’t want anything to do with him because they were so different, but she surprised him. She always managed to surprise him.

He looked down at his sleeping angel and pressed a gentle kiss to the top of her head. She was his now and nothing would ever come between them.