Chapter 2

Buffy was finally out at the Bronze with her friends a few nights later. She was trying to listen to the conversations over the loud music.

Cordelia and Anya were talking about some new band that would be playing there and how hot the lead singer was. They managed a glimpse of him backstage.

Buffy didn’t seem to care and turned her attention on Willow, continuing what she was saying earlier. “I swear, Will. My parents are driving me crazy. They’re already talking about me getting married. I’m not even finished with high school yet,” she explained to her friend.

“Have you told them how you feel?”

Buffy shook her head. “What would be the point? It goes in one ear and out the other. They don’t care about what I want. I have to get out of that house, Will. I have to get out of Sunnydale. It feels like I’ll die if I stay here. I don’t belong here.”

Willow felt for Buffy and didn’t know what to say to make her feel better.

The lights suddenly got darker in the club and some guy came onto the stage to announce the band. The crowd cheered when four guys walked on the stage.

Buffy wasn’t even paying attention, until she heard the voice of the lead singer. She looked up at stage to see a guy in leather and bleached hair. He was playing the guitar and singing with his eyes closed. He seemed to be really into it.

Cordelia and Anya got up and headed to the stage, while Buffy and Willow remained seated.

Buffy couldn’t take her eyes off of him.

He suddenly opened his eyes and stared right at her.

Buffy felt her breath catch in her throat at the intense way he was looking at her.

He smiled and put more feeling into the song that he was singing.

Willow looked at Buffy to see the mesmerized expression on her face. “So, they’re pretty good.”

Buffy finally turned away from the band to address her friend. “Yeah, they’re good,” she replied, knowing that her cheeks were red.

They got back to their conversation once the band finished.

Buffy glanced up to see that he was gone. She let out a sigh, realizing that she probably wouldn’t see him again.


* * * * *


Buffy said goodbye to her friends and left the Bronze a little while later. She had a curfew, after all. She breathed in the fresh air once she was outside and looked to notice someone in the distance. She was surprised to find that it was the guy from the band. He was standing against the wall and smoking a cigarette. She figured that she should just walk away, but she couldn’t seem to make herself move.

He finished his cigarette and flicked it to the ground, stepping on it in the process. He then turned around and saw her standing there. He gave her a smile.

She felt her cheeks heat up again.

“Hello, love. Nice night, isn’t it?”

Buffy was once again mesmerized by his voice. She couldn’t seem to find hers and only nodded.

His smile grew bigger as he walked closer to her. “Cat got your tongue or something?” he wondered with a raised eyebrow.

Buffy finally spoke. “No, I have to go.” She cursed herself for how lame that sounded. She started to walk away, when she felt a hand on her arm. She turned back to look at him and noticed how blue his eyes were.

“What’s your name?” he asked.

Buffy found herself answering him after a few seconds. “Buffy Summers,” she replied.

He decided not to comment on the odd name. He only smiled at her. “I’m William Pratt, but everyone calls me Spike.” He was surprised that he gave her his real name, but she only took it in and returned his smile.

“You were really good tonight,” she told him.

“Yeah, I saw you watching. I was just filling in for the night.”

Buffy felt a little disappointed that she wouldn’t get to hear him sing again, but she shook it away. She then glanced down and noticed that his hand was still on her arm. She looked back up at him.

He noticed where her gaze was and graced her with a somewhat shy smile. “It’s hard to let you go.”

Buffy didn’t know what to think about that. “I really should go,” she whispered, even though that was the last thing she wanted to do.

Spike nodded and finally removed his hand. “I would like to see you again. Maybe you can meet me at the beach tomorrow?”

Buffy thought about it. She knew her parents would freak if they ever found out, but she couldn’t seem to care. She really wanted to see him again. “Okay, meet you there at six?”

Spike smiled at the thought of being in this beautiful girl’s presence again. “Sounds like a plan. I’ll see you then, love.” He moved closer to her and pressed his lips to her cheek. He then turned and walked back inside the Bronze.

Buffy stood there in shock and touched her cheek. She let a smile form on her face, then started the walk home.


* * * * *


Buffy had to deal with her father yelling at her when she entered the house late. She didn’t really care, though. She could only think about Spike. She went straight to her room and got ready for bed. She could hear her parents yelling at each other now and she put her headphones on to block out the voices. They would constantly fight about her and she didn’t need to listen to it. She lay down on her bed and stared up at the ceiling. She smiled when she thought about seeing him again. She couldn’t believe that he actually wanted to see her again. It didn’t seem like she was his type, but she was really relieved. She kept the smile on her face and finally dozed off.

The summer suddenly got a whole lot better.