Author's Chapter Notes:
Hope you like this chapter, will be more soon... Thanks to the people who have reviewed, it's great to get feedback, keep it up!
I don't own the characters.
Thanks to Nichole for her help!
3 Back from the dead


“Dawn, come on! We’re gonna miss the plane!”

“I’m coming!”

Dawn ran after Buffy who was headed for their gate. The others had already boarded the plane, and now the girl at the desk started to get up to close the doors.

“Wait! Wait!” Buffy managed to reach the desk before the doors were closed. She would have gotten there sooner, but not even a Slayer could run that fast while holding a small child.

She gave the girl her boarding pass at the same moment that Dawn reached the desk too. They got on the plane together and found the others in the first row of the coach section.

“I really didn’t think we were gonna make it.” Buffy sighed and sat down, putting Tara down in the seat next to her and put her seat belt on for the take-off.

“Ladies and gentlemen. We are about to take off, so please take your seats and fasten your seat belts. To fasten your seat belt...” a voice in the speakers started to go through the safety procedures. Buffy fastened her seat belt and tuned the vice out. She had heard it enough times.

After a couple of minutes, the plane started moving and soon they were in the air, overlooking the city of Rome. Buffy pulled the plastic window cover up and looked down on the city she had lived in for almost three years. She had a feeling this was the last she saw of it. She was going home.

*****

At the same time, another plane was taking off from another airport, halfway around the world. The morning sun was shining in through the small windows. It was almost blinding the man inside the airplane, but he didn’t care. God, he’d missed the sunlight. He hadn’t thought about it much for the first hundred years or so, but after he got a taste of it while wearing that gem-thing, he’d realized just what he was missing. So he wasn’t going to miss a single moment of it, now that he had it back. He wasn’t going to miss a single moment, period.

“I’m coming for you... just hoping you’ll still have me...”

Spike sighed and closed his eyes, feeling the warm sunlight on his face. What if she didn’t?

*****

Buffy slept through most of the plane ride. Dreaming, as she always did, of him. Of moments that happened, moments that could have happened, and sometimes, like now, about moments that never would. The future that was impossible. The two of them together at Tara’s birthday, walking her to her first day of school, her first date...

Buffy woke from her dreams when Dawn shook her a little too violent.

“We’re here.”

“Already? How long did I sleep?” Buffy rubbed her eyes.

“About six hours. Did you sleep at all last night? Or the night before?”

“I... I think so... I’m not sure...” Buffy admitted.

“Maybe you should start taking the pills again? At least then you could sleep...” Buffy cut Dawn off.

“I’m fine. Really. You know, Slayer strength and all. Don’t need a lot of sleep.”

“OK. Come on then, the others are already off the plane.”

That’s when Buffy realized she and Dawn were the only ones left on the plane. She got up and they both left the plane. When they walked through the tunnel thing that connected the plane to the airport, Buffy looked through the glass walls, though she couldn’t see anything as it was the middle of the night. She was home.

*****

“We there yet?”

“God, you’re like a kid.” Angel gave up and went to talk to the pilot. “We’ll be there in about an hour.” He announced as he came back.

“Great.” Spike looked out the window, where the night had settled.

“Why are you so anxious to get there anyway? It’s not like anybody’s waiting for you.” Angel sat back down in his seat.

“I just want to get back so I can...” Spike didn’t finish the sentence, but Angel knew what he was thinking about.

“You’re going to look her up, aren’t you?”

Spike didn’t answer.

“I thought you were the one to say ‘Get over her’ last time?” Angel recalled.

“Well, a guy has a right to change his mind, doesn’t he?” Spike snapped.

“I just hope you know what you’re doing.”

Spike sighed and returned to looking out through the window. So did he.

*****

“So” Xander was the first to say what they all were thinking. “Where we going? You said Riley needed a couple of weeks to fix up our new homes.”

“Yeah. I guess we could stay at a hotel in the mean time, but I thought that would be too expensive, so I called... Angel.” Buffy waited for Xander’s reaction.

“Angel?” Xander knew he shouldn’t be surprised, but he was. “The I’m-running-an-evil-law-firm-that-kills-people-Angel?”

“Xander, please not now.” Buffy let out a deep sigh and rubbed her eyes.

“According to some of Giles’s sources, Angel’s not working for them anymore. In fact, there was a big apocalypse two years ago when he and some other people defeated Wolfram & Hart, or something like that. He’s good now.” Buffy was trying to convince herself as much as Xander.

“And you think this why? Because he told you?” Xander said in doubt.

“Well, I haven’t exactly talked to him, not since... well you know. He wasn’t there when I called yesterday. I talked to a guy named Connor, and he said that Angel wouldn’t mind if we stayed there for a while. He wasn’t even sure that he would be there at all. Apparently he’s out on some mission and no-one knows when he’ll be back.” She followed the rest of the group that were heading for two taxis.

“Well, that sounds good.” Xander got into the front seat of the taxi with Buffy, Dawn and Tara in the back. “I say, the less we see of him, the better.”

“The less we see of who?” Dawn cut in.

“Angel.” Buffy fastened her seat belt and put Tara in her lap for the short car ride. “He’s out on some mission, and the guy I talked to did’t know when he was coming back.” She leaned forward to tell the driver their destination.

*****

“Wow.” Dawn looked around the lobby of Wolfram and Hart. “This place is huge.”

The others followed her into the hotel where they were met by a woman in her twenties, a green demon and a boy in his late teens.

“Hey.” The boy gave the group a suspicious look. “Who’re you?”

Buffy extracted her hand, and the boy took it.

“I’m Buffy, you must be Connor. We spoke on the phone.” Connor took her hand. “This is my sister Dawn, Willow, Xander, Giles and Andrew.”

“Of course. Welcome to Wolfram and Hart. I’m Connor. This is Nina, and that’s Lorne.” He indicated the woman and the demon. The demon, apparently called Lorne, came up and offered Buffy his hand.

“Hello there, sweetcheeks. I’ve heard so much about you!” He spotted Willow. “Hey there, girl!” He gave Willow a hug. “Long time no see!” He turned his attention to Tara, who was partially hiding behind Buffy’s legs, carefully peeking out from behind her mother. “And who’s this adorable little person?”

”This is Tara.” Buffy smiled at Lorne. “She’s a little shy around new people... and she hasn’t actually seen anyone who’s...” She considered saying demon, but changed her mind. “...green before.”

“She’s a cutie. She yours?”

“Well, yeah. Angel never said anything about her?” Buffy was a little surprised.

“Not that I know. Should he?” Lorne gave her a confused look.

“I guess he’s not to happy with her existence at all, so maybe not. Listen, can I put her to bed somewhere? She’s tired from the plane ride.” Buffy picked up Tara.

“Sure. Just take the elevator to the top floor, that’s Angel’s apartment.” Connor indicated a set of elevator doors.

“Thanks. Dawn, you wanna take her? You look like you could use some sleep yourself. I want to fix the rest of the sleeping arrangements.”

“OK.” Dawn took Tara from Buffy and headed for the elevator. “Wanna go sleep with auntie Dawn, sweetie?” They got in the elevator and Dawn pushed the button for the top floor.

*****

Dawn suddenly woke up. She rubbed her eyes. She must have fallen asleep. She had only laid down next to Tara for a minute, but now the clock on the wall showed 9.30 P.M. She had been asleep for nearly an hour. She could hear a voice from the other side of the door. Must have been what woke her. Checking that Tara was still asleep, she got up and opened the door to see who it was.

*****

Spike went straight to the phone when he reached the penthouse. After a couple of rings someone answered.

“Yes, I would like to reserve a plane ticket to Rome.” He looked around the apartment. Something was different. A smell, that was it. A new, yet familiar smell. He shook the feeling.

“As soon as possible, if there’s anything tomorrow I’d...” A sound made him look up. He slowly put the phone down. “Hello, Bit.”

“No...”