Air planes aren’t friendly Part 1

Spike growled at his seatbelt. He’d never worn one before, now all of a sudden it was required.

“Sodding metal.” He pushed the flimsy restraint out of the way. He looked around and inspected his surroundings and tried to calm down. This was his first time inside a plane and it wasn’t turning out to be a good experience. Trapped in a small metal can. This innit a place for a vampire. Spike growled in frustration. It was like a small prison. Albeit the jet wasn’t exactly plain. It had protected windows, leather interior, and was very large.

“So this innit that fun. Planes don’t appear to be fun...... Ever been in one?” Angel looked out his window at the ground, far far below.

“(nervous laugh) Went in a helicopter once. But it didn’t go this high. (points out window) This is really high.” Spike looked over at his grandsire and laughed. Angel looked like he was having a small panic attack.

“Might want to calm down a bit mate. Lookin’ a lil’ panicky.”

“Me and heights don’t agree. I remember when Cordy toke me to this fair thing. Found out the hard way the Ferris wheels aren’t friendly.”

“Right well... how much longer till we get down?”

“Not sure. It’s about a 10 hour flight. It’s been about one.”

“(slightly panicked) Great... got any liquor?”

~ 7 hours later ~

Mini liquor bottles littered the ground. Angel looked at the small bottle in his hand. He moved it back and forth, watching the amber liquid splash around.

“Why do you have a mini bar filled with these tiny bottles? You can’t get drunk off ‘em. Well at least not if you’re like us. Seriously mate. You need some real bottles. Not these.... princess bottles.” After a few minutes when Angel didn’t respond Spike threw a bottle at his head.

“(growls) What the hell!?”

“(laughs) Thought you died. Actually that’s a good-.”

“Shut. Up.”


“Been stuck in ‘ere for hours. Need something to do.”

“I don’t care. Entertain yourself.”

“Throwing bottles at you is pretty entertaining.” Spike picked up another bottle and threw it. Angel narrowed his eyes and growled loudly. Why had he allowed Spike to come along?

“(intercom) Angel sir, we will be landing in about forty-five minutes.”

“Thank god.” He saw Spike reach for another bottle out of the corner of his eye. He growled a warning.
“You throw one more bottle at me and you are not getting off the plane in Rome.”

“...Fine you win... for once.” Angel gave Spike one last warning look and then went back to observing his bottle.

~ 30 minutes later ~

Spike looked around the plane for about the millionth time. Air travel was killing him slowly. He could never sit still for more than thirty minutes. Now he was confined to an aluminum can for nine hours. He was at the end of his rope. He tapped his fingers against the arm of his seat and bounced his legs up and down.

“(mumbles) I really need to kill something. This bleedin’ plane-.”

“(intercom) Sir, we will be landing in about 10 minutes.” Spike looked at the front of the jet. The cockpit was closed off so he couldn’t see the pilot. He looked back at Angel and noticed he was asleep. Hmm... This could be interesting. Spike quietly got up from his seat and walked over to the cockpit door. He quietly knocked on the door.

“‘Ello?” He was greeted with silence. He slowly opened the door and saw that there was no pilot. Panic quickly set in. Spike looked around hoping to see some form of life... or unlife. He went back into the main cabin and awakened Angel.

“Wake up Peaches.”

“Go away.”

“(calmly) There’s no pilot.” Angel jolted up from his seat.

“What?!”

“You obviously heard me.”

“You said there wasn’t a pilot. How are we flying?”

“You expect me to know?”

“Well...”

“(rolls eyes and growls) I’ll find out. (lowers voice) Ponce.” He walked back to the end of the jet and toke the phone out of its cartridge. He dialled some numbers and waited for someone to pick up.

“‘Ello?... Gunn?... No flight’s not there yet... Well, there’s no pilot... Yeah... Oh right... Well we’ll be back (looks at Angel) sooner or later... Ta... Bye.”

“So there’s no pilot why?”

“Some sort of auto pilot thing. Dunno. New technology or something.”

“Thought you were into that technology thing.” Spike just looked at him and went
back to his seat.

“(intercom) Sir, we will be landing in about five minutes.”

“Who’s saying that?”

“I don’t care.”

“How do you know that number to the office?”

“Bloody hell mate, just be quiet. This flight is like an insane box.” Angel narrowed his eyes and muttered something. Spike rolled his eyes and massaged his temples. The jet fell into silence while it landed.

“Welcome to Rome sir.”

“Thank the goddess.”
(tbc)