Author's Chapter Notes:
Please let me know what you think so far! It'll be awhile before I post a new chapter.
Dawn gave Buffy a weird look, but didn’t say anything at first. It was clear that her sister didn’t want anyone to talk to her just then, if the way she treated Spike was any indication. She sat silently in the passenger seat of the car, waiting until they arrived home. She wanted to ask Buffy if she cared if she stayed this weekend. She really didn’t want to tag along with their mom on their little art trip. She was afraid that Buffy had already made plans, and wasn’t going to let her stay. She wasn’t making plans with Connor or anything, she just wanted to stay home and maybe hang with her sister. When they got home, she followed Buffy silently to her room. Buffy didn’t notice her at first, and just put her books down, and sat down on her bed. Dawn sat down beside her, and that’s when Buffy realized that she was there.

“ What’s up, Dawn? I’m not really in the mood to chit chat, no offense or anything.” Dawn sighed and stood up. Her mood hadn’t improved, so she wasn’t going to ask her. She’d just go on the trip and endure the boredom. It looked like Buffy needed to think some things through. When she started to leave, Buffy called out to her.

“ Dawn, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean you had to leave or anything, I’m just not feeling well is all. What’s up?” Dawn smiled at her sister. She was usually nice to her, and it was only on rare occasions where they absolutely hated each other.

“ It’s just, I was wondering if you’d mind about something. I don’t really want to go with mom on this trip, and she said I had to ask you if you’d let me stay. She said that you might want to spend some time with Spike, and wouldn’t want her kid sister hanging around.” Buffy had to smile at Dawn’s choice of words. The girl had tendency to say everything the other person had said, and not leaving anything out.

“ I would actually like that, Dawn. We haven’t gotten to hang out since Spike asked me to marry him. I think it would be fun if we did some sisterly bonding, you know? If you want, I cant talk to mom for you, because I know she wants to take you with her.” Dawn jumped up, and squealed.

“ Buffy, thank you, thank you, thank you!” Before Buffy could say anything else, her mom knocked on her door.

“ Buffy, Spike is down in the living room. I told him to come on up, but he said he wanted you to come downstairs. Did you two have another fight already? You guys never used to fight before he asked you, you know?” Buffy sighed, and got up.

She knew that he was probably going to break up with her right there, and frankly she didn’t care. She loved him so much, and here he was making out with Drusilla. Granted, she didn’t believe him at first, but when he cancelled on her this weekend, it clinched it for her. She gave Dawn a pleaful look and headed out of her room to the living room downstairs. She saw him standing by the window, and his features absolutely radiated the rage he was holding in. She took a deep breath, and walked further into the room. At first he didn’t hear her, because he was lost in his own thoughts. It was when she cleared her throat, that he turned around to face her.

She had been right in her assumption, as well. The look he was giving her, told her that he positively furious with her. It was then that she remembered that he was in the wrong and not her. She stubbornly crossed her arms, and waited for him to speak. It was as if he was waiting for her to make the first move, and this had become a staring match. Buffy refused to budge an inch, not thinking she should have to take the extra step here. When he continued to not say anything, but got annoyed, and sighed.

“ Is there something that you wanted to discuss with me or not, Spike?” He gave her a mean smirk, and moved just a little bit forward.

“ I had actually come over to see if you were over whatever tiff you were in today, but obviously you’re still in the throng of it. I refuse to let you take whatever your problem is out on me. I just came here to tell you that you might as well not talk to me until you calm down, okay?”

Buffy looked at him as if he’d grown an extra head. Whatever tiff she was in? It took all of her willpower, not lash out at him right then and there. He was doing a very good job of acting like he was the one wounded here. She just shook her head at him and chuckled ruefully at him.

“ Spike, you are the reason I’m so upset. I’m done crying here, and I’m not angry anymore. What I am though, is done. I’ve given it a lot of thought, and I don’t want to be with you anymore. I want you to take your ring back, and I don’t want you to speak to me anymore. If this means that I have to move lunch tables at school, then that’s what I’ll do, but I am through with all of the fighting that we seem to do. I should have done this a long time ago, because this has just been three years that I’ve completely wasted on you.” Buffy turned around before she could see the astonished look on Spike’s face. She was about to go back up to her room, when he stopped her.

“ Where the bloody hell did that come from? I’m not taking the sodding ring back, and you need to come back here and explain yourself.” Buffy whipped around with an angry expression on her face.

“ Is it true that you’re going sailing with Drusilla this weekend?” Spike couldn’t think of a response. How she knew about that, was beyond him. His father was making him go, but he’d wanted to leave the fact that Drusilla was going away from Buffy. He’d had a feeling that she’d act like this.

“ Yes, Buffy, she is going sailing with us. My father is the one that invited her and her family, so don’t go putting anything into that.” Buffy just continued to stare at him. It was a little while before she started to speak again.

“ Today, when I came to school early...had you just kissed her?” Spike swore under his breath. He was going to absolutely kill Drusilla for this. She had grabbed him by the shirt, and yes she had kissed him, but he had pushed her off. That was why they were such in a deep conversation when Buffy got there, because he was blessing her out for it. He heard Buffy sigh, and realized that he hadn’t denied this fact.

“ That’s what I thought, Spike. I heard her in the bathroom talking how you two were going sailing, and that you were hooking up. Also she knew that you and I had been fighting, and told Darla that you were just keeping up pretenses until Friday. I’m just going to save you the trouble then. Here’s your ring back, and you have a great life, William. I refuse to let you break up with me or use me, so this is goodbye. I meant everything I said before, too. I don’t want you to even speak to me anymore. I had no idea that you could be this kind of person, but I guess I was wrong.”

Spike took the ring from Buffy, because he knew that there would be no asking for forgiveness this time. He couldn’t speak at all, he just watched her go up the stairs. He turned to walk out the door, and he was face to face with Joyce.

“ I hope you got everything that my daughter said to you. I want you to stay away from her, do you understand me? You actually fooled me to thinking you were a decent person, but my first impression was right of you. I want you to leave.” Spike just nodded, because tears had clogged his throat.

When he got home, he walked through the door without speaking to his parents. His mom ran up to him, and grabbed him by the shoulder. He looked up at her with surprise, and saw she had an alarmed facial expression. It was then he realized that he was crying. She freaked out for a few minutes asking what was wrong, all he had to do was open his hand to show her the ring. Jenny gasped when she saw it, and embraced her son. After a few minutes, Spike excused himself to his room, because he could no longer contain the sobs that he’d been holding in.