Chapter Fourteen

Buffy didn’t get into much trouble for the slap that she’d given to Drusilla. Principal Wood had told her that he’d let her off on a warning since it was her first offense. Drusilla, on the other hand, had to clean off Buffy’s car as well as two detentions. Buffy knew that it wasn’t over between them, but she really wasn’t stressing. She was back with Spike, and that was really all that mattered. She absolutely couldn’t wait for prom because it was going to be the best event ever. Buffy was walking past one of her favorite dress shops when she saw Harmony looking at a pretty purple formal gown. Buffy smiled because she hadn’t seen her in a long time, and she’d decided to say hello. Harmony didn’t even notice her until she was tapping her on the shoulder.

“ Oh Buffy, I didn’t even see you there. How’ve you been?” Buffy shrugged and sighed.

“ I’ve been okay, I guess. We’ve missed hanging out with you, where have you been?” Harmony didn’t quite meet her eyes when she spoke next.

“ Oh, I’ve just been really busy, you know.” Buffy frowned at her and forced her to look at her.

“ Harmony, what’s going on?” She sighed and put the dress down.

“ My mom doesn’t want me to hang out with you anymore, Buffy. She said that the only reason you’re getting married is because you’re pregnant. She doesn’t want me to hang out with you because she thinks it’s like a virus or something.” Buffy’s mouth dropped open in shock.

“ Are you kidding? I’m not pregnant, Harm, Spike and I love each other that’s all. It’s not like we’re getting married next week. We’ll probably stay engaged through our first year of college. I can’t believe you didn’t at least call and tell me you’re never speaking to me again.” Harmony looked away briefly and when she brought her eyes back, there were tears in them.

“ Look Buffy, I’ve been fighting with my mom for some time about this, okay? I didn’t want to say anything because I’m going to fix it. You’re like my best friend, and she can’t keep me from hanging out with you. Who will hang out with at the Prom? Sure, I’m going with Warren, but I wanted to ride in the Limo with you guys. It makes me so sad that she’s doing this to me.” Buffy looked sympathetically at her and sighed. She really missed spending time with her, and she said so.

“ We’ll save two seats in the limo for you, but if you can’t come, we’ll understand.” Harmony smiled a little at her words.

“ Oh, don’t you worry about that, Buffy. I’ll be in that limo even if I have to suffer my mother’s wrath.” Buffy smiled, turned, and walked out of the store. She continued down the street towards the coffee shop she was supposed to be meeting Willow at. When she got to there, she looked around, and didn’t see her. She waited outside for a few minutes, and when she didn’t see her, she went ahead and grabbed a table. After a few minutes, a flustered Willow walked into the café.

“ Hey Buffy, thanks for meeting me.” Buffy smiled.

“ Not a problem at all. I saw Harmony a few seconds ago, and she’s no longer allowed to hang out with us.” Willow’s mouth dropped open in shock.

“ Why isn’t she allowed to hang out with us, we’ve been friends forever!” Buffy nodded.

“ It’s because we’re engaged to be married. Her mom thinks it’s going to rub off on her or something.” Willow sighed with sadness because Harmony was one of her really good friends.

“ That’s sorta along the lines of what I wanted to talk to you about, Buffy.” Buffy nodded at her as they ordered their coffee.

“ Okay, I’m all ears, what’s up?” Willow looked at Buffy with a grave expression on her face.

“ My mom found out that I’m pregnant. She’s pressuring me to give the baby up for adoption. I don’t know what to do because she says she’ll never speak to me again if I keep the baby.” Buffy was absolutely horrified at the thought. How could her mom say something like that to her?

“ That’s horrible, Wils! Please don’t do anything without talking to Oz, he does deserve to have a say. I can’t believe that you’re mom is that obsessive. I knew she’d be mad, but to say something like is just...well I don’t have the words.” Willow nodded, trying to keep the tears in her eyes from falling.

“ Oz wants me to have it. He swears that he’ll take care of the baby so I can go to school. He doesn’t really want to go to college, but he was going to for me. He still thinks we should move to New York, though. He says that being away from Sunnydale will be a help, plus you’ll be there.” Buffy opened her mouth, but couldn’t form the words. She grabbed her friend’s hand, and started to cry herself.

“ Willow, you are so strong. I love you so much, and I don’t think you’ll ever know how much you mean to me. I’d love for you to come to New York, but my reasons are purely selfish because I’d get to have my best friend with me.” Willow couldn’t hold the tears anymore, and let them fall freely.

“ I’m so glad that you said that, Buffy. I needed to hear someone other then my mother and Oz’s opinion. I want this baby so bad, and I do want to move. I don’t think I can stay in this town.” Buffy smiled and then realized that she was blubbering in public.

“ Come on, Wils, we have to get out of here.” She giggled in the middle of her tears and followed Buffy out of the café.


*** **** ***** ****** *****

Later that day, Buffy went over to Spike’s house to hang with the gang. When she got there Cordelia, Angel, Xander, Anya, and Willow was there. The fact that Oz wasn’t there didn’t go unnoticed, and she was informed that he would be along after his band practiced. Connor was also there, which made Buffy pause for just a moment.

“ Connor, I didn’t know you were going to be here. If I had, I would have brought Dawn with me.” He looked up at her with a surprised expression.

“ She told me that she was coming with you, which is why I tagged along. I wonder why she didn’t tell you.” Buffy didn’t know what to say..what was her sister up to? She pulled out her cell phone and called her house, which Dawn promptly answered.

“ Brat, why didn’t you tell me that you were supposed to meet Connor here? I would have brought you, how else did you think you were going to get to Spike’s house?” She heard Dawn gasp and curse.

“ Buffy, I totally spaced! Can you come back and pick me up? Please!! I’ll do your laundry for like a week, Buffy, please!!!!!” Buffy rolled her eyes, and hung up her phone. She turned back to the crowd and grinned.

“ I guess I’ll be back in a bit.” Just as she was turning around, she heard some snickering, which she turned back around for.

“ What was that?” Spike quickly jumped up, glaring at the others.

“ It was nothing, we were just giggling about your sister.” Buffy nodded, but noticed that they were all acting a bit weird. Deciding it was in her mind, she pulled out her car keys, and went to pick her sister up.

When she got back to the house, she saw Dawn on the phone, and she seemed to be arguing with whoever she was talking to. Buffy didn’t know what was going on. Her friends were acting weird towards her, and now her sister seemed to be cheating on her boyfriend. The day wasn’t going to get any weirder at all. When she finally opened the door, her sister slammed the telephone down.

“ Who were you talking, Dawn?” Her face flushed as she stammered for an excuse.

“ Oh, it wasn’t anybody you know at all. It was my chemistry lab partner. We’re supposed to do a presentation next week, and we haven’t even started on it.” Buffy gave her a confused look.

“ I thought Connor was your lab partner? Isn’t that how he asked you out or something?” Dawn froze for a minute and stammered.

“ uh..right. Well, we were..uh...assigned new partners, and I got this really lazy guy named....Andrew...yeah.” Buffy tried her best not to start laughing, but she looked at her watch.

“ Look, we’ve got to go. We’re already really late for movie night, so come on. Look, if you’re seeing someone else, you really need to tell Connor. It’s not right to lead him on if you’re not interested in him anymore.” Dawn’s mouth dropped to the floor, but she didn’t say anything. Buffy just hoped that her friends were out of their weird mood when they got back.

When they pulled into the driveway, Oz’s fan was there, which made Buffy happy. She knew that Willow was really stressing, and having him around seemed to make her calmer. Dawn took her sweet time in getting out of the car, which Buffy proceeded to yell at her for. When they finally went inside to the group, it was pitch black. Before Buffy could put two and two together, the light switched on, and her friends screamed “ SURPRISE!!” at her. She jumped and giggled, then remembered her birthday wasn’t for another week.