Author's Chapter Notes:
Please Review
When Buffy pulled into the driveway of her house, her mother was sitting on the porch, reading a newspaper. When she heard the car pull in, she smiled at the girls. Buffy got a worried feeling in the bottom of her stomach. Her mom hadn’t really said anything nice to her, since she caught her and Spike. She really hoped that she wouldn’t try to keep her from going out with Spike tonight. When she got out of the car, her mom walked up to her, and gave her a big hug. Buffy mildly returned her hug, but was very weary. Her mom saw her expression, and laughed.

“ Come on, Buffy, I’m trying to apologize here. I know I haven’t been very talkative lately, and I just wanted to say that I’m sorry.” Buffy slowly started walking with her mother back to the front porch.

“ Okay, who are you, and what have you done with my mother?” Joyce just laughed.

“ I’m serious, Buffy. Tonight is your anniversary with Spike, right?” Buffy cautiously nodded her head, and Joyce’s smile just got bigger.

“ I thought so, and I got you a present.” Buffy dropped the back pack that she’d been carrying.

“ You bought me a present? Why on earth did you do that?” Joyce folded her arms.

“ Buffy, I know how you feel about this boy, and it’s silly of me to try to shelter you. You are eighteen after all, and you’re a very mature girl. When you first started dating him, I was worried that you’d get caught up, and your grades would slip. You did fantastic, though, and you made the honor roll. You just surprised me the other day is all. I had figured out that you two had been doing that sort of thing for awhile, I just had hoped not to encounter it.” Buffy’s face turned crimson at her mother’s words.

“ So as punishment, you bought me a present?” Joyce sighed, and sat down on the bench outside.

“ I’m not going to punish you, Buffy. Believe me, I’ve been in the same situation that you’re in now. You’re so in love that just thought of not being able to see him makes you want to cry. Am I right?” Buffy didn’t know what to say. Her mom had never talked to her about stuff like this. So she nodded her head, and Joyce continued.

“ See? I ‘ve been there myself. I remember every fight that you and William have gotten into, because you’ve cried on my shoulder, Buffy. I know you love him very deeply, so I’m not going to keep you from him. Also believe me when I say, the thought had crossed my mind. But, today is the day that you’ve been faithfully with him for three years. I bought you the pink dress that you’ve been eyeing for months for you date.” When Buffy heard this, she jumped up, and grabbed her mother.

“ Oh my God, did you really?” Joyce smiled at her baby girl. She was a woman now, and it broke her heart to see her so in love. It was weird that it did make her feel so sad, and she probably cry when it happened to Dawn. She stood up, and led her oldest daughter into the house.

“ I guess you’d better start getting ready. Isn’t he picking you up in about two hours?” Buffy nodded, and ran up to her room. Not before embracing her mother, and thanking her profusely.

Spike couldn’t wait to pick her up. Joyce had filled him in on the little surprise that she’d had in store for Buffy. Buffy hadn’t known it, but he’d gone over to her house and talked to her mother. He told her how much he genuinely loved her daughter. At first, Joyce hadn’t believed him. Had just given him a speech about not knowing about love. The only way he could think of to prove it to her, was to show her the ring he’d purchased for her daughter. It was a small diamond, and all that he could afford, but he’d promised to get her a better one when he could. He’d also told her that he had gotten accepted to NYU, and planned to attend there with Buffy. He wanted to do this as a surprise to her, because he knew that she worried about what was going to happen after school. Joyce had broken down into tears when she heard that he planned to propose this evening, and had been overjoyed. Jenny, his mum, had started crying as well. Hid dad on the other had, and given him a speech on how hard it was to support a wife, but had congratulated him afterwards. He hoped that the congratulations hadn’t been for nothing. He still had butterflies thinking about if she’d say yes or no. He looked at the time, and grabbed his keys, and the present that he’d carefully wrapped for her. He had the ring and his acceptance letter in his pocket. After making sure that he had everything, he grabbed his jacket off his chair, and headed out to his car.

When he got to the Summer’s residence, he could see Buffy’s sister sitting in the living room. He took a deep breath and headed for the door. When he rang the doorbell, Dawn answered the door. She gave him a once over, taking in his tuxedo, and smiled at him. She stepped back, allowing him entry into the house. He stood very still, unable to get control of his nervousness. Dawn kept watching him, and couldn’t help but giggle. He glanced over at her, and grinned back. Dawn sat back down.

“ You guys are so cute.” Spike’s grin got wider, and he continued to wait.

When Buffy walked down the stairs, his breath caught at the sight of her. He’d told her to dress formal, and she hadn’t disappointed him. She was absolutely stunning in her pink formal gown. She smiled at him, and took his hand. She had the present she’d selected for him in her other hand. Her mother, he could tell, was trying her best not to cry. She motioned for them to wait a minute, and ran to grab her camera. Buffy groaned.

“ Mom, this isn’t the prom or anything. We’re just going out.” Her mom dismissed her statement, and took the pictures anyway. Joyce watched them walk to his car, and once they drove away, she couldn’t help the tears that slid down her cheeks.