Chapter Four

Buffy was so excited about going to this restaurant. Spike had been talking about it for months now, and how much he wanted to take her there. Now they were finally there, and it was on their third anniversary. When they got there, Spike carefully parked his car, and went around to open the door for Buffy. She was trying her best to keep from giggling like a little kid, because she wasn't used to this type of treatment. He didn't normally open the car door for her, but tonight he insisted. He took her hand, and led her up the extravagant hotel steps. She hadn’t known that the restaurant had been in a hotel, but she supposed it didn't matter. When they got to the dining area, the Mater D asked for their party's name. Spike told him his last name, and they were immediately seated, which surprised Buffy even more. Spike held the chair out for Buffy, and she was becoming overwhelmed at the extravagance of the place. She looked over at him with a question on her face. She hadn't really spent that much on Spike and didn't feel comfortable with him spending this much on her.

“ Spike tell me honestly, can we afford this place?” Spike just smiled at her. He knew that she was a little uneasy, and he was too. Though, he was sure their uneasiness was for two different reasons.

“ Yes, I can, love. You are not paying for anything. If it’s alright with you, I figured we could the present exchange after we eat.” Buffy nodded her agreement, and picked up the menu that had been placed before her. At the sight of the prices, she gasped, and looked back up at Spike. He sighed at her.

“ Honestly pet, don’t worry about it. Pick whatever it is that you want.” That didn’t help to alleviate her nerves, but she kept her uncertainties to herself. When they’d finished eating, Buffy sat fidgeting in her seat. She couldn’t put her finger on it, but she had a feeling that she’d remember this night for the rest of her life. Spike sensing her nervousness, smiled at her.

“ Do you want to open your present first, or should I open mine?” Buffy grinned at him. She’d agonized for months on what to get him for this special occasion, and had settled on getting him a watch that she’d seen him eyeing. She handed over her present to him, and waited for him to open it.

Spike could tell that she was excited about his reaction to whatever it was she’d gotten him. When he saw the watch, he had to smile. How she’d remembered that he’d wanted this watch, was beyond him. He smiled broadly at her, and told her just as much. She glowed at his praise, and he pulled out the wrapped present he’d gotten her.

Buffy eyed the package for a long time, before opening it. To her, it looked like a jewelry box, and she was so excited. She ripped the paper off, and opened the box to the most beautiful necklace she’d ever seen. She couldn’t help but gasp at the sight of it. She squealed when he stood up to place it on her neck. She stood up too, and wrapped her arms around him.

“ I love it, Spike! Thank you so much, I love you!” Blushing at her outburst, she quickly sat back down. Spike just grinned at her.

“ That’s not all, love. I’ve got two more things for you to open.” Buffy started to protest, because she hadn’t gotten anything else for him. He just shook his head, and handed her the envelope. She reached for it hesitantly. When she opened it, she started crying.

“ Oh my God! Why didn’t you tell me? I was dying at the thought of not being able to be with you!” She ran to the other side of the table, and sat down in his lap. She wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him passionately. Onlookers were smiling and whispering at them. He cleared his throat, and stood up taking Buffy with him. He gently sat her back down in the chair he’d been sitting in, and bent down on one knee before her. Buffy’s mouth dropped open when she saw his gesture, and more tears started fall down her face. He pulled out the ring box, and held it in his hand.

“ Buffy, I know we’re young, but I love you so much. We don’t have to get married right away, I just want it known that you will some day be my wife.” After saying this he opened the box, and once again, Buffy was crying. She covered her mouth, and looked up at him. When she didn’t say anything for awhile, Spike started to get nervous.

“ Well? Come on, Buffy, what do you say? Will you marry me?” Buffy jumped up, and wrapped her arms around him.

“ Of course I’ll marry you, William!” He couldn’t hold back anymore, he picked her up, and kissed her hard on the mouth. Their spell was broken when they turned around and saw that people were standing at their tables clapping and cheering them on. Buffy’s face turned so red, Spike thought she was going to explode. He hurriedly paid their check, and took her back out his car.

When Buffy got home, she walked through the door in a daze. Spike proposing to her had been the thing farthest from her mind. When she walked in, her mom came up to her with a smile on her face. When she saw Buffy’s finger, she started crying, and embraced her. Dawn quickly came down the stairs to see what the fuss was.

“ Why are you both crying? Come on, what’s going on?” Joyce let go of Buffy, and wiped her tears away. She turned to face her youngest daughter.

“ Your sister just got engaged tonight.” After saying this, Dawn squealed and attacked her sister. When Buffy finally got to bed, she lay there thinking if any of her friends knew as well. They sure would when she walked in tomorrow with the ring on her finger. She fell asleep with thoughts of their future in her head.