Buffy and Willow returned back to the campsite in complete silence. She had no idea how she was supposed to react to Willow. She’d asked her if Oz knew about it, and she’d said yes, that it was his idea for her to have the test. It just blew Buffy’s mind completely that Willow was going to have a baby. First Buffy herself became engaged at eighteen, and now her best friend on the entire planet was going to have a baby. Willow had composed herself in the bathroom, and it didn’t even look like she’d cried a single tear. They’d thrown the package away at the store, but Buffy had to keep the receipt for her check book records. Willow had disagreed with her about keeping it, but she had promised to hide it. It was in her pocket, and she seriously doubted that their friends would be going through her things. When they pulled up, all of their friends stood up, and Spike came up to the car. Buffy grabbed his hand and told him that she put gas back in his car. He took the keys back from her, and angrily took her to the side, so the group couldn’t hear them.

“ Dammit Buffy, I don’t give a shit about the gas. You scared the hell out of me when you took off. What the hell is the matter? Are you sick, or is it something else?” Buffy sighed. It was going to be very hard to keep this from him.

“ Spike, absolutely nothing is wrong with me, okay? I needed to go to the store, and I’m sorry that I was gone so long. I’m not sick, and there’s nothing for you to worry about. I’m fine, I promise.” Spike sighed and accepted her answer, though Buffy could tell he was still upset. They went back to the group, and Buffy noticed right off, that Willow and Oz were not with them. Buffy guessed it was for the best that he know for sure he was going to be a daddy. Wow, Willow and Oz were going to be parents. Just as she thought it, she shook her head. She had to get her head away from that. She’d promised Willow that she wouldn’t give anything away about her demise. She sat down in her chair, and Spike brought her a plate of food.

✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰✰

Spike knew that something was wrong with Buffy, and it pissed him off that she wasn’t telling him what it was. The look on her face had given him the wiggens. She was eating her food quietly, not even trying to have a conversation with him. He sat down next to her, and looked over at him. She gave him a weak smile, and returned her attention to her plate. He gave a sigh of frustration, and he knew it was audible for her to hear. His friends knew he was worried, but they didn’t act any differently. When they finished their dinner, they sat around the fire they’d made until Buffy was about to fall asleep in her seat. He gently tugged on her hand, causing her to get up. They said goodnight to the group, and went into their tent. Buffy began getting dressed for bed. She wasn’t shy or trying to cover herself from him. She had done that for the first few months after they’d had sex for the first time, and Spike had thought it to be the cutest thing he’d ever seen. When she was changing into her night shorts, a receipt fell out of her pocket. Spike was going to hand it to her, when he saw what it said. He grabbed Buffy by the elbow once she had gotten her shirt on, and turned her around to face him.

“ Is there something that you wanted to tell me, love?” Buffy looked at him with confused expression.

“ No, is there something you wanted to tell me?” Spike sighed and handed her the piece of paper he’d picked up. Buffy, seeing what it was, snatched it from his hands.

“ Where the hell did you get this, Spike? Where you going through my pants?!” Spike tilted his head and snickered harshly at her.

“ Going through your pants? Why the hell would I want to do that, Buffy? I picked it up off of the bloody floor! You’ve been acting real strange these last few hours, and I want to know why the hell that is!” Buffy sighed, and sat down on top of their sleeping bags. When he didn’t sit down next to her, she grabbed his hand, and tugged him down.

“ I’m sorry, Spike.” When she didn’t say anything else, Spike got even more angry.

“ That’s all you’re going to say to me?! You’re not even going to tell me why you have a receipt that says...that on it, instead you say nothing but sorry? You’ve got a lot of nerve, Summers. Out with it already!” Buffy jerked back from him, took her hand away.

“ I don’t have to tell you anything, Spike. Yes, we’re engaged now, but you so do not get to tell me what to do!” After saying this, she plopped down on her pillow, with her back facing Spike. Spike gave an angry growl, before leaving the tent in a huff. When he zipped the tent back up, Buffy couldn’t stop the tears. She had really wanted to tell Spike, but it wasn’t her secret to tell. Buffy cried herself to sleep, and she didn’t hear Spike return.

☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹☹

Spike was so upset, all he could do was pace the woods. Was Buffy pregnant, and just not telling him about it? He continued to pace, and think awful thoughts, when Oz approached him. Spike was going to tell him that he wanted to be left alone just then, but Oz’s face told him to keep quiet. Oz walked over to him, and motioned for him to go into a cave they’d all found last summer. Once in there, they sat down on one of the many rocks, and Oz began to speak.

“ Spike, I want you to know that Buffy isn’t pregnant. I overheard your argument with her, and I just wanted to tell you that.” Spike grunted at him.

“ And just how do you know that, mate? Did Buffy tell you she took the test, and it was positive? Because, she sure as hell hasn’t said a damn word to me about it.” Oz sighed, but he didn’t change his expression.

“ Buffy didn’t take the test, Spike, Willow did. Buffy looked so grave, because she was worried about Willow. That’s why she had taken her to the store, because Willow begged her to take her without telling anyone. I think it’s great Buffy refused to tell you, even though she should have. I only told you because I don’t want you to be mad at her. Willow and I are going to deal with this, okay?” Spike didn’t know what to say. He’d bitched Buffy out, and had left her in the tent all alone. Then it hit him what Buffy had said.

“ Wait, did you just say you’d deal with it? Does that mean that Willow is pregnant?” Oz didn’t have to say anything, because Spike knew that she was.

“ Dear Lord, Oz, what are you guys going to do?” Oz shrugged.

“ I love her, and I really don’t want her to have an abortion. She’s talking about taking a year off before college so we can get married and have the baby. That was the other reason we didn’t want to say anything. We know that you and Buffy just got engaged, and we didn’t want to steal your spotlight.” Spike just gaped at him.

“ Geeze Oz, I’m sure we’re all going to marry our sweethearts. Angel to Cordy, and Xander to Anya. It’s not stealing the spotlight, mate, it’s reality.” Oz gave him a half smile.

“ I think you should probably go and apologize to your fiancé, Spike.” Spike nodded, and stood up. He walked slowly back to his tent, but not before Oz told him not to say anything to the others. He’d never do anything like that, but he told him so anyway. When he got back to the tent, he could tell that Buffy had been crying. Well it was apparent, due to all of the tissues lying everywhere. He pulled off his shirt and pants, and plopped himself next to Buffy. He tried to pull her close to him, but she pushed him away. He sighed, and tried to make amends.

“ Come on, love, will you look at me? I’m trying to apologize here.” Buffy turned and raised herself to one elbow.

“ I have nothing to say to you, Spike. If you don’t mind, I’m trying to get some sleep, because I don’t want to add grumpiness to my problems. Plus, I don’t want to ruin the weekend for the others.” After saying this, she turned back on her side, and completely ignored Buffy.

Spike didn’t want to upset her anymore than she already was, so he drifted off to sleep thinking he’d apologize to her in the morning. When he woke up, though, Buffy wasn’t there. Neither was her duffel with all of her clothes. He sat up in the sleeping bag, and that was when he saw the note on her side of the pallet.

Dear Spike,
I’m afraid that I needed to get away so I wouldn’t make the rest of the weekend miserable for everyone else. I had Angel give me a ride back to my house. Please don’t come after me, just finish your camping trip with your friends. We’ll talk when you get back, or better yet, we’ll talk Monday. I do love you, but you hurt me when you didn’t trust me. I know that Oz told you their secret, but that doesn’t help. I’ll see you at school.

Buffy

Spike crumpled the note up, and ran his hand threw his hair. He laid back on his pillow cursing under his breath.

“ Bloody hell, do I have groveling to do.”