Author's Chapter Notes:
Second chapter for tonight=P Enjoy.
Life 6 – Invincible

This bloody road remains a mystery
This sudden darkness fills the air
What are we waiting for?

Won’t anybody help us?
What are we waiting for?

We can’t afford to be innocent
Stand up and face the enemy
It’s a do or die situation
We will be invincible

*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*

I walked into school that Monday with a sense of everyone looking at me and knowing. After Saturday night, most everyone in the school would have heard about Angel’s … appraisal of my goods.

I walked into the Bronze, after having chosen my sexiest outfit, as per Angel’s orders. I looked like a hoe looking for an easy lay, and I hated the amount of make-up I had been coerced into wearing. But, I was there, as he asked, and phase one would be put into place. It was an easy part of the plan, too, so nothing gross and embarrassing yet.

I walked over to the table where Willow and the gang sat, and they all stared open-mouthed at the outfit. It was skanky, but I had to wear a cute, low-cut sweater to cover up my bruises, and the dark nylons covered anything on my legs, especially with the dark atmosphere of the club. My leather mini-skirt, and knee-high leather boots, which Ted so didn’t know I owned, and did not see me leave the house in, gave the entire outfit it’s oomph, though. The mark on my neck I covered with a thick choker, not my usual scarf.

“What?” I asked innocently, feigning ignorance to the multitude of guys that were giving me the eye, everyone of them not Sunnydale High kids, but from the University here. “I decided to dress up for once.”

Willow blushed as I sat down and the skirt rode up a fraction of an inch higher. Xander smirked a little in appreciation, until Cordelia, similarly dressed may I add, hit him on the head and he quickly turned to her with the same look.

As per the plan, about a half hour after I got there, Angel arrived solo, and sat with his friends. No one noticed the secretive glance he gave me, and the slight nod in return. I got up and asked anyone if they wanted to dance, and Willow, Cordelia and Tara joined me on the floor. The four us danced, and I noticed Angel watching, as he was supposed to. He made some lewd joke to his buddy and then went to go get drinks. Good, as long as he was following everything right.

Later, at around 10:30, when I was about ready to leave, I walked to get my coat, and was knocked over, accidentally, by a drunk, burly jock, namely Angel. I glared at him, my usual form of greeting for the asshole. Then as I was walking away, Angel whistled and said, “Yo, Buffy, nice skirt. Damn, even that makes nerd ass look juicy and tender.” I glared at him, and he winked, then I left without a backwards glance.

I sighed as I entered the library, back in usual attire of baggy clothes, and smiled at everyone. They smiled back, and only Willow seemed to remember Angel’s comment, but said nothing except a pointed glance and a scribbled, “Angel sure was drunk the other night.”

I laughed and nodded, and then settled into the conversation around me, something about computers vs. books with Willow and Oz leading the computers side, and Giles fighting for his precious books. I giggled; Giles was very particular about books, because he just couldn’t get computers to work in his favor. When Jenny arrived a little while later, she joined in the computer debate, and when the bell rang, computers were clearly beating out the books. Giles conceded defeat and smiled as we all went to class.

At lunch that day, phase 1 and a half was put into order, Angel kept looking at me, and I would look back at him with a guarded smile. Xander followed my gaze once, but since Spike was sitting beside Angel, and Angel wasn’t looking at me, he figured I was mooning over Spike again. Shrugging he turned back to his current task, making out with Cordelia.

One time when I looked up, and Angel caught my gaze, he gave a slightly appreciative leer and Willow and Oz both caught it. Then they heard my responsive giggle, which I almost choked on. Willow raised her eyebrow and I heard her and Oz whispering, the only words I could understand were, what the, investigation, and weird. I shook my head, and walked off to get a book I needed from my locker, passing by the jock table. As I usually did, I smiled at Spike, and he high fived me, getting a growl from Vampirella, but I also ducked my head shyly when I passed Angel, giggling slightly nervously. When I reached the door, I heard Spike asking Angel what was up with that.

After two days of constant giggling whenever Angel was near, and ducking shyly, which was basically making me want to hurl since I was never like that with any crush… and since ‘any crush’ constituted Spike only, it was raising questions amongst everyone.

On Wednesday, however part two was to go into motion. It wasn’t a huge thing, but it was definitely necessary if people were to believe the story of our sudden dating.

I was walking down the hall, not paying attention, although in reality I was avoiding everyone except Angel, and crashed into him when he turned to yell something to one of the football players. I went sprawling on the floor, and everyone laughed, and then clammed up as Angel bent down and helped me actually pick my books up, and made sure I was okay. Everyone was stupefied, and it was then I noticed Spike and Drusilla in the back of the crowd, both wearing identical expressions of incredulity.

“Thanks, Angel, that’s really sweet of you,” I said, shyly, and he pulled me to my feet, my face mere inches from his. We both stepped back simultaneously, as if some unseen force was actually there, and he nodded before turning and walking the other way. I also turned and walked away, but as we got to the opposite ends of the hall, we both turned and looked at each other with a small smile. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Spike glancing at his notebook, and what I knew was actually hidden there: the paper he plucked out of the trash with ‘B + S = TLF’ written on it. He had folded it up really small and stuck it in the back of his scribbler, and ever since I seen him do it, I was wondering what the hell it meant, hoping against hope it meant what I thought it did.

At home that night Dawn knew I was acting even stranger than usual, and that it had something to do with Angel O’Connor, as she had heard me calling him last night. I smiled as she walked into my room with two pints of ice cream, one for me and one for her. “What’s up, Buff?” She asked, plopping onto my bed and curling her legs underneath her as she uncapped her pint and dipped into the monkey paws.

I opened my rocky road, then went back to my homework. “Nothing much, just doing some homework.”

She laughed, “You’re doing homework? Feeling well? Or is it for your hot English teacher?” Every girl in every single school, right up to elementary, knew about Mr. McCarthy, the hottie that got a lot of girl students signing up for his classes.

I smiled sarcastically, and she giggled. I happened to not have a crush on the guy, but yeah he was hot. “Yes, if you must know. I’m working on a story. Go away.”

She sidled up closer and read what I was writing, which actually wasn’t a story for English, but a written version of the plan. “What the hell is that?”

“I told you it’s a story.”

“A story in which you’re dating Angel and trying to win over Spike. Why did you call that guy last night anyway, hasn’t he made your life hell since like grade 2?”

“Yeah, he has, but it’s fictional. And we’re only fake-dating to break up Drusilla and Spike and then date them. Happy ending for all involved.”

Dawn’s eyes bugged out of her head and she stared at me like I’d grown three heads. “Oh yeah, and how much of this story is based on actual fact?”

I gulped guiltily, “The fact that Spike and Drusilla are dating?”

She gave me a ‘yeah, right’ look. “How much, Buffy?”

“All of it.”

“WHAT!?!” she yelled, earning a muffled, “Shut the fuck up,” from Ted who was watching the baseball game. Thank god he was leaving for bowling soon. “You’re dating Angel to try and win over Spike? Have you gone completely nuts, or do you still have some brains left in that blonde skull of yours?”

“No, if you must know, I’m doing it to get Angel off my back. I don’t want to date Spike,” She guffawed, “if he doesn’t want me back. I’d only ever date him if I were sure he was dating me for me, and not being tricked into it. So buzz off and mind your own business.”

She laughed, and her eyes held that new scoop glow reporters get. “No way, I need details. Have you kissed Angel yet?”

I sighed and resigned myself to the fact that she wouldn’t leave me alone until all details were spilt. “No, Dawn, we haven’t kissed. We’ve only looked at each other, he’s leered a few times, and today we ‘knocked’ into each other, and gave a kind of weird lover display. Or secret crush. Whatever, but we’re technically not dating yet. We’ve planned that for next week. Happy now?”

Dawn made an ick face, and I giggled at it. “No, actually I’m not happy. Why Angel?”

“Simple, he wants his Dru back, and I want Vampirella as far from Spike as possible.”

“For your own purposes.”

“Partly, yeah, because I want to date him. But mostly because she cheats on him, and he gets depressed every time she goes all wiggy and crazy, and the drugs are killing him. So all in all, she’s a bad influence on him, and he needs to get away from her.” Dawn smiled and then kissed me on the cheek. When we heard the door open and close downstairs and Ted pull away from the drive, she took the empty ice-cream containers downstairs. That’s what I loved about every second Wednesday; Ted was gone for the night.