Author's Chapter Notes:
sorry for the slowness in the update, but I've been working constantly=p
Life 8 – Never Had a Dream Come True

There’s no use looking back or wondering
Cause love is a strange and funny thing
No matter how I try and try
I just can’t say goodbye
No no no no

Never had a dream come true
Till the day that I found you
Even though I pretend that I moved on
You’ll always be my baby
Never found the words to say
You’re the one I think about each day
And I know no matter where life takes me too
A part of me will always be with you

()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()

Two weeks later, our plan was finally in full swing. It was common knowledge now that Angel and I were dating and that Drusilla was immensely jealous, her disdainful scorn every time we passed proved testimony to that easily. Dating Angel wasn’t all that hard either; I stopped cringing when he kissed me, and I gave up trying to pull away when he held my hand. I started feeling slightly giddy whenever he looked at me with the eyes of someone deeply in love, whether they were fake or not, and I found myself forgetting for long periods of time that he was only in it to get some hoe back. I was suddenly looking forward to going to dinner with him, or getting a quick kiss outside my locker, and whenever we were on lunch, and we stole away to the courtyard, in a shadowed corner, where anyone could see, I loved the feel of his hands on my waist as he drank my kisses like the elixir of life. I absolutely adored the little gifts he showered me with, but even with everything running so smoothly, I could always look at him and be brought back to reality in a single leap. All one had to do was stare for more than five seconds, and it was obvious all his love and affections for me were false and that my newfound love for Angel was falsely residing in a dream, an illusion, of having a real boyfriend who actually cared.

I didn’t care though, whenever I looked at Drusilla now, I felt a certain sense of triumph over the deranged girl, knowing I had her man, and she had Spike. Whenever I looked at Spike, however, the old feelings lingered on the outskirts of my reality, but the illusions of popularity dating a jock offered, and the sudden thrust into a real, or fake depending on the point of view, relationship drove the reasoning behind the coupling straight out of my mind. I could look at Spike and Drusilla kissing and only smile sadly, rather than lose all hope and break down considerably. This newfound peace was much more gratifying then my old obsessions and deferred dreams. To top all of it off, I hardly seen Ted, and hadn’t been hit since the day he gave me a black eye, which was completely healed, as were all my other scars. I was transformed, a fact that Willow took the opportunity to point out at one of my reprieves from being fakely popular.

“What’s up with the happy glow in you, Buffy? You’re so changed lately, and you haven’t winced in ages.”

I giggled, “Well, I have no pain. Ted hasn’t touched me in over two weeks, and hasn’t touched Dawn in almost 6. Everything is finally good. Maybe Spike was wrong, and the guy grew a heart.” The hopefulness in my tone fell flat, as I knew the real reason for not touching us lately was because he hasn’t been home much, and when he is, Dawn and I are conveniently elsewhere. It’s becoming a very good system.

“That’s good,” She didn’t comment on my statement, but simply gave me a yeah right in your dreams look, the one she patented early on in my crushing on Spike.

“Yeah it is. And Angel’s amazing. I never knew he could be so kind.” Willow still didn’t know about the plan, which was the way Angel had wanted it, so it was easy to lie to Willow.

“And being popular must be different from the same old nerdiness of hanging with us library geeks,” Willow’s tone was teasing, but the sad tinge to her voice didn’t go unheard, just ignored for the time being.

“Sorry, Will, but Angel doesn’t want to sit with us, and you guys would never accept him at our lunch table. Plus, Spike makes hanging with Angel’s friends a little easier. And we usually just hang out together, hardly ever in a big group. Angel seems to like the more private relationships, which is the way I enjoy it too.”

Willow nodded, accepting the reasoning, and looking sheepish for her tease. “Still love it better if you agreed to come to my house this Saturday for our monthly movie and popcorn bash at my house. Angel can come too,” she added hastily as an afterthought.

“Oh, Wills, I already told you. I wish I could, but that Saturday, Spike’s band is playing at the Bronze and Angel made plans to go see him. You guys should go to that, though, we haven’t seen Spike play in forever.”

“Well, Oz and Tara and Xander are into respecting tradition, but maybe, I’d love to see him play. If we went, would you at least hang, or talk, to us?”

“’Course I would, sweetie! I would never completely ditch you guys for some guy. What am I insensitive?” We laughed, and then headed to our first classes of the day.

After school that day, Willow called me on the phone, and launched immediately into a tirade apparently brought on by my staring at Spike and Dru at lunch today. “I may have been across the room, Buffy Anne Summers, but you were looking at Spike as if you hated Drusilla so much, you’d kill her just to get her out of the way. Everyone knows Angel and Drusilla dated, and that Angel loved her more than he ever loved any of his other girlfriends so fess up! You’re only dating Angel to break them up!”

I scoffed, and silently cringed, Angel would do damage when he found out she knew. “Of course not, Willow! Where would you get such random notions? Me and Spike are friends, and I’m dating Angel.”

“Please Buffy, I knew from the beginning something was going on, and I figured it out didn’t I? For the sake of our friendship, and our oath of the teddy, don’t you dare lie to me.”

I agreed guiltily, but swore Willow to secrecy and hung up with a cold dread seeping into all my pores. “Gulp,” I whispered to myself.

On Saturday I was dressed to go dancing, but not to Ted would get suspicious. If he seen me leaving the house, the skirt goes to my knees, and flows when I twirl, and the shirt dips low, but is also long, so it balances each other out. My hair was done nicely, and my make-up perfected, everything made ready for Angel’s and my first real outing as a couple. We had been together on dates before, but never to something as high classed as the Bronze. Once you dance together at the Bronze, it’s really sealed.

Angel, as per my rules, met me half a block from the house, and then we drove the rest of the way. We laughed, and joked, and he made obscene gestures to a van full of cheerleaders, all from Hemery High in LA. It felt good.

When we got to the Bronze, Spike wasn’t playing yet, so we went to sit in a darkened corner, away from most people, and just chatting. We weren’t even all that close. I looked around when Angel went to get me a drink, and didn’t see Willow and the gang. Slightly disappointed that my friends didn’t show, I was moping when Angel returned and handed me my soda. “What’s up?”

“Nothing just was looking forward to spending some quality time with Willow, Oz, Tara, Callie, Xander, and Cordy.”

“Why? You’re on a date with me. Who else could be more fun?” He led me to the dance floor as Spike’s band started setting up, and I heard him add, “Besides those friends of yours are total geeks. Why do you think Spike left you guys? You should get out too, Buffy, you’re pretty cool for a nerd.”

I whirled around, “Excuse me?” I practically growled the two words. “Remember that me doing this is a favor to you. I can quit any day, I don’t care about some useless idle threats you make. Without me the plan is rather moot isn’t it? A couple more days of us kissing and I’ll be rid of you forever, Vampirella’s about to crack. But, if you insist on dissing my friends, I can cut the plan early. Try me, Angel, I dare you.” He just scoffed and his deathlike grip that he had on my arm tightened until it burned my skin and was rubbing it raw.

“Look, Summers, you will help me till I get Dru, and there will be no backing out of our deal got it.” I was right up in his face, and he looked angry, and scary enough to hurt me more, so I relented, but I noticed Spike staring at Angel strangely the rest of the night.

We danced a little, then I claimed to be tired, but I wanted to sit closer to Spike and the band, so we moved to a table nearer the stage. Angel didn’t speak much to me later on later that night, except when a buddy came over and he had to make it look good. Drusilla even sidled up to him at one point, and by the way her fingernails were running over his chest, I was pretty damn sure it wasn’t a gun in his jeans.

That night I didn’t go home, just called mom and told her I was staying at Willow’s. We had left the Bronze as soon as Spike finished his set, so it was only 10:30 when I arrived at Willow’s. They were only on the 2nd of 4 movies, and there was plenty of popcorn left.

I figured out quite early on that Willow had told them all it was only a plan, when Xander asked me how being fakely popular was working out for me.

“Shut up. Tonight was horrible, guys. Angel made this dish about you guys, and I threatened him, and he grabbed my arm, then Spike was staring at him all night, and Angel wouldn’t talk to me, and my arm hurts right now.” Willow walked over to inspect the damage, but to Dr. Rosenberg it was all good, and no permanent damage was going to be resultant.

“I knew you’d come over Buffy,” Tara said, grinning around her glass of soda. “I could sense it.”

“All kidding aside, Tar, your mojo kinda freaks me out sometime.” We all laughed. Tara had a tendency to dream something and have it happen, or have something unexplained happen two feet away, or her weirdest talent, reading people’s auras and knowing exactly what they were feeling. She would make a great psychologist someday, her chosen career.

We all fell asleep piled around Willow’s room and I knew my life was finally where it was supposed to be – with my friends.