Author's Chapter Notes:
This is yet another post “Something Blue” fiction from me because those are just fun. I decided to put it in now because it’s not really that long, only a few chapters. It’s just something short and sweet that I thought of. I won’t say much, just that this is a bit different. Things definitely aren’t like they were on the show, which could be a good thing. Anyway, I hope you guys like it=)
Chapter 1

Joyce Summers was alone in her house and about to make some hot chocolate, when she heard a knock on her front door. She went to the door and smiled at the man that was standing there. “Spike, come in.”

He gave her a smile as well and walked into the house.

She closed the door behind him and they both headed into the kitchen. “I was just about to make some hot chocolate, would you like some?” she asked her guest.

Spike’s smile grew even bigger. “With those little marshmallows?”

Joyce nodded. “It wouldn’t be the same without them,” she said and started to make two cups of hot chocolate. She placed his cup in front of him after he sat down.

Spike only stared at it.

Joyce could tell that he had something on his mind.

He then let out a sigh, still not touching the hot chocolate.

Joyce figured she should be the first one to start a conversation. “So, how are you doing?” she asked after a few seconds of silence.

Spike finally took his eyes off of the cup to look at her. “I wish I could answer that. A few years ago, I had everything figured out. I knew who I was and that was it. Now things have become very complicated and I don’t just mean the chip.”

Joyce nodded in understanding when he finished. She knew where this was going. “Are we talking about Buffy again?”

He was about to answer her, when the mentioned blonde then made her presence known and she didn’t look happy.

Joyce was surprised to see her daughter there at that time. She wasn’t expecting her.

“Why are men such idiots?” Buffy wondered as she took her jacket off and placed it on the counter. “I swear, I’ve told that Riley guy a million times that I’m not interested in him. He still won’t leave me alone.” She sat down next to Spike and grabbed his cup of hot chocolate, taking a long sip from it. She then spit it out and fanned her mouth, putting the cup back down. “Ow, hot. Very hot. Why didn’t you warn me?” she asked the blond vampire.

He only shrugged. “I didn’t get a chance to.”

She rolled her eyes and turned back to her mother. “Again I ask, why are men such idiots?”

Joyce smiled and patted her daughter’s hand. “That is the million dollar question, honey. I don’t think we’ll ever find out the answer. Are you sure he knows that you’re not interested?”

Buffy sighed. “What part of I’m not interested did he not get? It’s pretty self explanatory, Mom. I told him that I think he’s a nice guy, but not exactly what I’m looking for right now. Do you think something’s wrong with me? I know of other girls that would love to go out with Riley, so how come I don’t want to?”

Joyce thought of what to tell her. “Well, maybe your heart is telling you that there’s someone else out there,” she stated and then stood up, giving Spike a wink when Buffy wasn’t looking.

Spike noticed and turned away from her gaze.

She placed her cup on the kitchen sink and then looked back at them. “I think I’ll be turning in now. Goodnight,” she told them, walking out of the kitchen and up to bed.

Buffy sighed again and looked at Spike. “What do you think I should do? Do you think I should give him a chance, or do you think my mom is right?”

Spike was surprised that she was asking for his advice. Yeah, things have been different with them ever since Willow’s spell that went very wrong. They have actually formed somewhat of a friendship and Spike realized that he was starting to see her as more than a friend. Joyce was the only one that knew of his feelings for Buffy. “Well, your mum is a very wise woman. I think you should see what else is out there.”

She gave his answer some consideration. “I guess you’re right. I don’t exactly see much of a future with Riley, anyway.” She stood up and turned away from him, wrapping her arms around her waist. “Then again, I don’t really see much of a future at all. I’m the Slayer, I’ll be lucky if I even see my 19th birthday.”

Spike was up then and grabbed her shoulders, turning her to look at him. “Don’t talk like that.”

Buffy was surprised at the frightened look he had on his face. He really looked afraid at the thought of her dying. How weird was that? They have gotten closer lately, but she figured that Spike still hated her. That he only patrolled with her because he had nothing better to do. He was really excited when he found out that he could fight demons a week ago.

They continued to stare at each other in silence.

Spike figured he should say something else. “We should patrol. I could really use a good kill right about now,” he said as he turned away from her.

Buffy nodded as she was broken out of her reverie. “Yeah, that’s a good idea. I’ll just get some weapons.” She walked away and into the living room.

Spike sighed when she was gone. Being that close to her stirred up feelings in him that he never thought he could feel again. He couldn’t remember ever wanting someone so much before. She came back into the kitchen and gave him a smile that could make his heart start to beat again. He only followed her out of the house and really hoped for a good kill to take his mind off of everything.


* * * * *


Spike got his wish when they were attacked by a group of vampires. Spike knew they were fledglings and figured it wouldn’t be much of a fight. He was handling his three vampires well, but Buffy was another story. She was only fighting two vampires, but she seemed to be having trouble. He staked his last vampire and decided to watch Buffy. She was focusing on one vampire and didn’t notice the other one sneak up behind her.

He grabbed a huge rock and held it over the Slayer’s head.

“Buffy, look out!” Spike yelled to her and realized that it was too late.

The vampire hit her hard on the head with the rock and she fell to the ground. Both of the vampires then got on top of her, one moving his fangs to her neck.

Spike growled and ran toward them, yanking them off of her. He staked them instantly and kneeled down by Buffy’s side. “Love, are you all right?”

Buffy opened her eyes to look at him. “My head hurts,” she said with a groan, touching her aching head in the process.

“Yeah, you took a hit. You should be fine soon.”

She nodded, which made her head hurt even more.

Spike figured it was time to take her home. He picked her up and held her in his arms.

Buffy rested her head on his shoulder.

He placed a kiss on the top of her head and figured that she was too out of it to notice. “I better get you back to the dorms. I don’t think your mum should see you like this.” She gave what he thought was a nod and then walked in the direction of UC Sunnydale. He held her tighter and wondered about what happened. Buffy would have been able to take two fledglings easily. He was terrified at the thought of anything happening to her and he didn’t care to deny it anymore. Something was wrong with his Slayer tonight and he was determined to find out what.