Buffy: Bittersweet Reunion


She had one word on her mind. Ow. Having a stake jammed into her shoulder hurt like hell, that was for sure. But she knew she had to ignore the pain and kill Kita. She’d deal with the nice hole in her shoulder later.

Kita yanked the stake back out and Buffy stumbled back, watching Spike out of the corner of her eye, though her vision mostly stayed on Kita.

“Buffy…Buffy…Buffy. I told you to let go.”

Buffy lashed out, kicking the vampire in the face and following with a punch. “Yeah...about that. I never do what I’m told.” She punched Kita in the face again. “Must be a slayer thing.”

Spike slowly stood, watching the two females. To Buffy, he looked a bit torn as to what side he should be on when it was changed to a look of complete rage. And, knowing who it was directed at, Buffy proceeded to defend herself against Kita.

Kita attacked Buffy, uppercut punching the slayer in the chin before spinning to elbow her in the gut. Buffy ducked the third attack and kicked Kita in the ribs before sending a second kick to the side and a third to the gut. She grabbed Kita’s wrist and twisted, hoping to break it.

Kita gritted her teeth and did a black flip, kicking Buffy in the chin twice, only to receive two kicks to the gut, a third to the face and a hard left to the right side of her jaw. She flew back, landing behind where Spike now stood.

Spike and Buffy watched each other as Buffy felt the presence of a third vampire nearby and sighed in frustration at the sight of Drusilla, rolling her eyes because she really should’ve known who Kita was working for.

This was just getting better and better. First, Spike who didn’t remember her. Then Kita, who was trying to kill her. Now, Drusilla, the looniest bitch of them all. It was a bittersweet reunion all around. Not.

Spike: Confusion


Confusing didn’t even begin to describe the moment. And the look on Buffy’s face as if she knew Drusilla. That she knew who she and Kita were. It only served to reinforce his belief that Kita had messed with his memory, and probably for Drusilla.

To him, Drusilla looked forlorn. As if she didn’t want to do something that she knew she had to. And, of course, he was right about that.

“Miss Edith told me, but I called her a bad girl.” Drusilla said. “She told me my Spike wasn’t mine anymore. That he belonged to the slayer that buzzed around his head. That he doubted the memories with his princess. She also told me that you couldn’t change destiny. That destiny was meant to happen.” She continued, this last line bitterly said, “That I should do the right thing.”

His eyebrow rose at that statement. Drusilla doing the right thing was unheard of. He couldn’t even picture it, and from the look on the slayer’s face, she couldn’t either.

Neither were prepared for Kita to grab Spike from behind, knocking his lighter out of his duster pocket, the sound echoing as she pressed the stake she held to his chest.

Kita: In The Spring


Kita smirked, her grip on Spike not wavering in the slightest. The look on Drusilla’s face matched Buffy’s so well it was hilarious. To the littlest detail, the fear and pain was obvious. And to think she only thought her sire was missing her faithful babysitter.

She looked at her sire, trying to smile apologetically and failing miserably. “Sorry, Dru, but sometimes you gotta work for the greater good-I mean, evil. I think Miss Edith or the stars or whatever are telling you exactly what.”

“Destiny is a funny thing…” Drusilla tilted her head and stared at Kita intently. “I once saw my Spike floating in the breeze…” she held out her hand and drifted it in the air, following it with her eyes. She turned back to Kita sharply. “But, I don’t see it anymore.” The last line had a teasing quality.

“Well. As far as I’m concerned, it’ll happen.” Kita watched Buffy and Drusilla with equal caution. “Y’know, Spike,” she leaned near his ear, “Hell is said to be wonderful in the spring.” She aimed her stake for his heart.

She was knocked off balance when Spike twisted out her grip at the last minute, swinging her into her position where her very own stake was headed for her chest.

“Really? Send me a post card.”

And she was dust.

Buffy: Done


When the lighter fell, her mind had instantly transported her back to that first nightmare. The one where he was staked. She had her heart in her chest right until the point where Spike slammed the stake into Kita’s chest and she fell as dust, floating in the breeze.

She didn’t know how long the three stood there, Drusilla watching Spike in concern and she watched for an attack.

“Dru, will it wear off?” His voice was quiet. She didn’t know if he even expected them both to hear him.

Drusilla didn’t answer, instead watching particles of dust only she could see floating in the wind.

“Dru.”

The older vampire looked at him, innocence written all over her face.

“Will. It. Wear. Off.”

“I don’t think he’s up for games, Dru.” Buffy whispered, knowing the vampires could hear her.

Drusilla seemed to sigh, saying, “No. It was completed.”

The mood suddenly dampened for Buffy. The high of Kita now being dust was destroyed by the fact that the Spike she knew would never come back.

”Killing me won’t bring him back.”

“You need to kill the caster…and the one who desired the spell,” Drusilla turned to Spike, eyeing the stake in his hand.

Spike seemed to catch on to the insane vampire’s meaning moments before Buffy did. “Dru…no.” He looked bewildered to Buffy and she guessed that without his memories he couldn’t possibly remember threatening to do just that less than a year ago.

“Ssh…” Drusilla moved closer. “It’s written in the stars, my pet. Let it be.” She locked her eyes on his in an unwavering gaze and Buffy barely heard the insane vampire say, “Be in my eyes, be in me...”

Buffy watched the exchange, unable to understand what was transpiring between the two, but able to realize that it was something that was supposed to help Spike. Maybe to help stake her.

Buffy frowned as Drusilla leaned forward to kiss Spike softly before pressing the stake to her chest. In her most lucid and, if Buffy didn’t know better, she’d guess brave, voice, “Do it, Spike.”

Spike did as she asked, a red glow flashing in his eyes before Drusilla slowly crumpled to dust and the stake clattered to the ground.

Spike: A Hell of A Lot Worse


Experiencing the last four years and remembering the past two months in four years and two months was hard. Experiencing the last four years and two months in four and a half seconds was a hell of a lot worse.

He didn’t remember much of the past few minutes. Staking Kita. Receiving Drusilla’s gift in that trance. Staking Drusilla. Buffy coming over to him. She looked like she wanted to comfort him.

Like she knew anything about comfort. She couldn’t even take it. The comfort of the non-sex variety. Like she knew about dealing.

He got fucked over more times in the past four years than he did his entire life before his turning. The only one left from their line was the bloody poof and that was nothing to be proud of.

What he would really like would be for the smart asses that decided destiny for everything would just leave him alone. When he’d been human, he was completely innocent. Shouldn’t that mean something to the Nether wigs? Like a Leave Spike Alone card?

He was barely aware of Buffy leading him away from the alley and didn’t notice his surroundings until they reached Revello Drive. A sign that he was home.



A/N: This is exactly why I hate school. This is the last chapter of Light And Dark, but then again, that’s what a sequel’s for, right?”