Chapter 2 – Comforting



Spike swept the match over his doc martens, causing a flame to appear at the end. He lit the white candle he held in front of him before putting it down on the spot which the kids were found. He blew out the match, throwing it the ground. He shook his head, looking at the pictures of the two kids. “Spike? What are you doing here?” Spike turned around to find the slayer behind him, holding a lit candle. She walked over next to him, placing it down next to his own white candle. He looked at her, noticing the tears rolling down her cheeks. He moved to put his arm around her, comfort her, stopping before he finished the act. He contemplated, not sure weather to do it or not. Deciding he didn’t care how she would react, he put his arm around her, bringing her close to his body. She didn’t pull away but only buried her face into his shirt, sobbing quietly. He wrapped his other arm around her, hugging her gently.

“Shh love. It’s going to be ok,” he whispered, placing a small kiss on top of her golden hair. She shook her head, clutching at his shirt. He winced in pain as he nails scratched against his cold flesh.

“No. You were right. Someone with a soul did this.” She looked at up his startled expression. “A sacrifice. They were a sacrifice!” More tears fell as her body racked with sobs. He gently pulled her head towards him, stroking her hair lightly.

“Then I’ll get ‘em and I’ll kill ‘em.” He stated, starring at the lit candles. She pulled away from him, taking his hand in hers as she led them to a bench to sit.

“Why do we do it?” She asked, looking at Spike. He scooted next to her, pulling her towards him, missing the feeling of her body next to his. She snuggled up next to him, resting her head on his chest.

“Why do we do what slayer?” he asked quietly, stroking her hair.

“Fight. Why do we fight when we never win?” Spike was slightly taken aback. He figured this would be something peaches was good at talking about. After all, he was a vampire. Mortal enemy to the slayer and here he was. Holding her in his arms as he tried to explain to point of fighting for good.

“Well, I guess because there are things worth fight for. Sure, you might not win. You never win and nether does evil. It’s always a tie. There’s always a balance. But you don’t give up. Just because you don’t win doesn’t mean it’s not worth it. Everything is worth it if you believe it. Like fighting for those kids. We may not be able to stop all the evils in the world, but we can take down some.” Buffy smiled at him, gazing into his blue eyes. She nodded, looking out into the night. She closed her eyes, sighing, thankful for him.

“Spike, I know I might get you mad and annoyed but I have a question.” Spike looked down at her as she looked up at him. He nodded. Buffy took a deep breath. “Where you like this when you were human?”

“Now why would you think I might get mad at you for asking about my past?” Buffy shrugged.

“I don’t know. It’s just Angel didn’t like to talk about his past so I though maybe you didn’t like to talk about it.” Spike nodded, understanding. Of course peaches didn’t want to talk about his past. His past was full of bad things even as a man. Spike laughed inwardly to himself but kept his facial expression straight.

“Ah. Well, when I was human I was. How do I put this? Umm… well I was the total opposite of what I am now. I was weak.”

“Weak? How?” Buffy asked, looking up at him.

“I was a wimp. I was a ‘bastard’. The right term of course. My father had an affair with my mum and then left her when she had me. They were never married but strangely enough, I was well respected. Of course, I was picked on. I was a poor sensitive, poet, who wore glasses.” Buffy laughed as she imagined him standing with glasses with his peroxide blonde hair, holding a book of poems. “What’s so bloody funny?”

“I’m sorry. I just, I don’t know. You don’t strike me as the poet type. So, how did you get the nickname?”

“Which one love?”

“William the bloody,” Buffy stated, scooting closer to him.

“Well, got it for my ‘bloody awful’ poems. Which I admit were ‘orrible but for some reason, back then I thought they were good. But then it kind of fit when I was turned.” Buffy nodded. More questions about the blonde vampire bubbled in her head. “Anything else you want to know?”

“Um, well, how did you get turned?”

“Oh, well Dru sucked my blo-“

“No, I mean like what lead up to it? What caused it?”

“Oh. Well, back then as you know. I was weak, wimpy, and a really bad poet. All my poems were written for a woman by the name of Cecily. She was the object of my affections. I admit, she was the first woman I loved, except for my mum of course. Well, on the night I was turned, I was at ‘er party. Nice parties they were. Well, I ‘ung with a pretty bad group, meaning they made fun of me a lot. Cecily was in the group so of course I didn’t care what the others said. I was with ‘er. Well, one night they got a little carried away. You see, I ‘ad been writing a poem for ‘er and they snatched it away, read it aloud to the whole party. I was mortified. They weren’t for public reading. Well, she fled from the room. I went to find ‘er. When I did, she was crying. She asked me if the poems were written for ‘er.” He paused, taking a breath. He remembered the day as if it were yesterday. Her words still ringing in his ears. “I told ‘er yes. She then laughed in my face. I was confused. Thought she liked me too. She was always so nice to me. Kind she was. She told me I was beneath ‘er. I wasn’t good enough for ‘er. Well, like any respectable man, I gathered my strength, got my stuff and left quietly. I ran into Dru then and she told me she could make all the pain go away. I gave myself and she turned me.” Buffy looked up at him. He was now looking out into the park, his eyes beginning to water at the memory. She hugged him closer to her, trying to be comforting. He looked down at her, smiling. He put his arm around her waist, pulling her up onto his lap. She smiled, curling into a ball. “Tired slayer?” She nodded, closing her eyes as she rested in his arms. “Think you should go ‘ome then,” Spike said, shifting slightly, trying to find a more comfortable spot on the bench. Buffy just shook her head and mumbled softly into his shirt. “Come on love. You’re mum will get worried and I don’t really fancy getting ‘it in the ‘ead with an ax again.” Buffy giggled softly at the memory of it. Spike shocked, playfully pulled her up, turning her so he faced him. “You think that was funny don’t you?” Buffy batted her eyelashes, nodding her head. Spike smiled, running a hand over her cheek. “God you’re gorgeous.” Buffy felt her cheeks turn red. She bent down her head, closing her eyes. He lifted her chin, smiling. “You’re blushing.” Buffy looked up at him smiling. Last time she felt like this was when she lived back in LA, pre-slayer days. Sighing, she leaned back down, melting into him. Spike took a breath, putting his arm around her back and his other arm hooking under her legs. “Alright love,” he stood holding her as she rested her head on his shoulder. “Let’s get you home.”

Angel watched as the blonde vampire carried Buffy with such ease, making her seem as if she weighed nothing but a feather. He growled deep in his throat. He had planned on meeting Buffy there but no, Spike had to be there. He glared as he watched Spike disappear with her around the corner. “Oh you’re going to wish you weren’t ever around Spike.”

~Buffy’s Porch~
“Come on love, time to wake up.” He shook Buffy gently in his arms but she was too deep in her dream to awake. She rubbed her head against his shoulder, mumbling in her sleep. He looked down at her, smiling as she laid in his arms. Sighing, he kicked on the door gently, trying not to fall. He waited for a couple seconds before kicking again. The second time, the lights went on, fallowed by footsteps down the stairs. Spike waited patiently, rocking Buffy slightly back and forth. The door opened and their stood a tired Joyce. “’Ello Joyce. She feel asleep during patrol, so I thought it best if I brought ‘er ‘ome.” Joyce smiled sleepily, widening the door so he could maneuver both himself and Buffy into the house.

“Buffy sweetie. Time to wake up.” Joyce said, shaking her shoulder gently as Spike held her. Buffy mumbled in her sleep, clutching to Spike even more.

“I can carry her up if you want,” he said, still staring at her as she slept in his arms. Joyce nodded.

“Sure. I wonder how you can do it.” Joyce stated, leading him up the stairs.

“Do what?”

“Carry her as if she was a little baby. Last time I did that she was six. She had stayed up all night waiting for her father to come home from his trip. By the time he got home, it was already four in the morning and Buffy had already fallen asleep.” Joyce stopped in front of her room, looking at Spike then to Buffy. “Well, I’m telling you now. The girls’ room is a mess. And, you saw nothing ok?” Spike chuckled and nodded his head. She opened the door. “I’m off to bed. You can let yourself out right?” Spike looked back at her. Did something happen between the time he left and came back because everyone seemed to trust him. He nodded, deciding to put the thought behind him. Joyce smiled, leaving Spike alone with Buffy.

He gently put her down on her bed, taking her arm from around his neck. He then took off her shoes and socks, putting them neatly next to her bed. “Come on love, under the covers you go.” He pulled the covers up over her, tucking her in.

“Gordo,” she mumbled. Spike looked around the room, trying to figure what it meant. There he saw the stuffed pig with a tag on it that read ‘Mr. Gordo’. Chuckling, he handed it to her. She smiled as she felt the soft stuffed animal in her grasp; she hugged it close to her body, curling into a ball. Spike bent down, kissing her gently on top of her forehead. He pulled away only then to be stopped. “Spike stay.” Again he chuckled as he watched her eyes flutter open slightly.

“No love. You’re mum’s in the other room and she trusts me and I gotta say, I like the trust.” Buffy, frowned. “Sorry love. Maybe some other time.” Buffy nodded. She pulled him towards her, placing a soft kiss upon his lips.

“Thank you.”

“For what pet?”

“For being here with me,” she stated sitting up a little.

“No you don’t. Get back under those covers and go to sleep.” But Buffy didn’t listen, only sitting in an upright position.

“It’s not like Angel is making any move to.” Spike looked at her, confused. “Angel came back from the hell dimension.” His lips formed an ‘o’ as he nodded.

“The pounce is back. With the whole package?” Spike asked as he looked over at her. She nodded, sliding down under the covers, snuggling up next to him.

“Yup, soul and everything. I like this.” She closed her eyes, relaxing, melting into him. Spike nodded, than realizing what she was doing, shook his head. He stood up.

“I know what you’re doing and it isn’t going to work Summers.” He knelt down next to the bed. “Listen, sunrise is in an hour and you have school tomorrow. Now, time to say goodnight and go to sleep. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

“Promise?”

“Promise. ‘Night love.” He leaned in, kissing her softly.

“’Night.” She closed her eyes, hugging Mr. Gordo to her. Spike looked back as he reached her door to find her already fast asleep. He smiled, closing the door.