Chapter 9

Aware that there was movement behind them, they all turned their heads to see that they were now surrounded by spear carrying natives.

Somebody to Spike’s right prodded him with his spear and said

“You were told, KNEEL before our- arrrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhh - oooff!”

Without looking, Spike lashed out with his right arm, grabbing the spear, which he quickly transferred to his left hand, and before the native knew what had hit him, he found himself sailing towards a tree, he landed with a sickening thud.

“Okay, so just YOU be told, the next person to jab me with ANYTHING, will get it shoved up their arse, do YOU understand that?” Spike raised his knee, and broke the spear shaft in two, and threw the pieces down with disgust

As one, the natives went to move towards the trio, but the ‘king’ said

“Follow me” he turned and began to walk through the bushes.

After a few steps he realised that the three weren’t following him, so with an evil smile, he turned his head to the right, but without looking at them he said over his shoulder,

“You WILL follow me, we already have your children and the other man”

“WHAT – Now just you – “ Buffy furiously went to charge at the man, but Spike caught her around the waist, she struggled against her husband at first but he placated her by whispering

“Save it until we know they’re safe love” Buffy looked at him for a few seconds, and then she nodded and stopped struggling – it made sense – but she did say

“If you’ve harmed one hair on their heads, I’ll kill the LOT of you”

************

Izzie spied her mother as they all entered the clearing, and despite a native trying to bar her path with his spear, unperturbed she ducked under the ‘stick’ and ran to her mother. Buffy scooped her up

“Mommy! I didn’t cry, Billy told me not to!”

“Good girl…are you alright?” Buffy quickly scanned both the children, but they were unharmed, as was Sam.

“I’m sorry Buffy, but they-“

“You don’t have to apologise Sam, we know – and it’s not your fault” Buffy patted him on the shoulder.

“ENOUGH of the chatter, you will LISTEN to what is said to you!” The chief native said

Spike watched closely as Buffy checked the children over, and could see for himself that they were all right.

“Why are you here?” demanded the chief

“Actually – no idea, mate – we set sail for Lundy, got caught in a storm that wasn’t predicted, ended up here – wherever here is – where are we exactly anyway?”

“YOU LIE! You came here to steal our treasure!”

“No, like I told you, we didn’t come here by choi-er… – what treasure is that then, exactly?” Spike asked frowning

Suddenly the ground shook slightly beneath them, and in the distance, the volcano shot out a cloud of dust and ashes.

“Sire! SIRE! - The fire-mountain needs to be appeased, we must offer a sacrifice to please it!”

The ‘king’ didn’t say anything, he just nodded his head.

Four natives made towards Izzie – and to their cost, they found out they’d made a grave mistake. Billy pulled her gently towards him, and Buffy was a blur – she’d punched two out and dropped to the ground, ‘dolly-rolled’ with legs akimbo and deposited the two others straight on their backs, groaning as they were winded they suddenly found themselves tethered to the ground by their hair, Buffy had ‘staked’ each one to the ground via their spear through their hair, each native was petrified – they knew she could have easily taken them and killed them with their own weapons.

“Anybody else who makes a move towards me or mine will find me in not-so a generous mood next time, because if there IS a next time, it won’t be their hair anchoring them to the ground…I’ll go through flesh” She fixed each native with a stare that brooked no argument, and they believed her, because at least two dozen ran away…

The king looked worried. Buffy put her arm around the shoulders of her children and lead them over to Spike, Willow and Sam joined them too.

One of the natives said something in a foreign language to the ‘king’, who replied back in the same language - the native ran off and returned a few seconds later with a young pig, who was struggling and squealing.

“Oh this is ridiculous! – You can’t stop a volcano from erupting by killing a pig! – Let it go!” Buffy snatched the piglet off the native and put it down on the ground, where it wasted no time in scurrying off through the undergrowth.

The native that had been holding the pig didn’t know what to do, he had seen for himself how strong the woman was, so he decided against challenging her, even with his weapon, so he did the only thing he really could do, and that was take off after the pig.

“Mommy…I’m hungry!” Izzie announced in a loud voice

“I know baby, me too – we’ll get something soon” Buffy cuddled her daughter up tightly to her.

“Mom…that king, he looks, well remember when I had my adventure at Blackmore Hall, well he looks exactly like that evil Sir Jasper!” Billy said frowning

“Does he now, well he looks like somebody Willow, your dad and me know too…”

A native came running through the bushes towards the king and trying to bow, catch his breath and speak at the same time managed to pant out,

“Sire – Sire – your garden has been plundered! The fruits that were ready have gone!”

The king didn’t know what to do. The people were obviously not scared of him or the natives. He suspected that it was they who had plundered his fruit garden – but he knew that none of the natives would mete out any punishment he thought fit…

“God, I’m knackered...this heat, let’s sit down, shall we?” Buffy went over to the fallen tree that Sam had been sitting on, and the others followed.

“Stand up! Stand up in front of the king!”

“Stand up, kneel – you want to make your minds up – not that it’ll do you any good mind, we do what we want”

Spike said, and then turned to Buffy

“You should have kept hold of that pig pet, we could have had a bit of roast pork!”

“Oh yeah…I didn’t think…oh look, they’re going!”

“Well bloody good riddance!” Sam said

“Yes, bloody riddance!” Izzie shouted after the departing king and his minions

“Hey, naughty girl!” Buffy touched Izzie’s lips

“But uncle Sam said it!”

“Well uncle Sam’s naughty!” Willow said, but everyone was smiling.

“Can you…(sniff) can anybody smell that?” Spike continued to sniff again

“What?”

“It smells like uncle Sam sometimes…when he’s been doing the pigs!” Billy said grinning

“You…come with me!” Spike tapped Sam in the chest with the back of his hand and walked off, Sam followed. Ten minutes later, they reappeared with two pigs, Sam had cut their throats, cut them open and had cleaned them out in a pool

“Let’s get a good fire going – roast pork for dinner!”

“Where did you get them?” Buffy asked criss-crossing sticks to build a fire

“At the edge of the village, they were kept in a pen…nobody saw us!”

“Village?”

“Well, a few mud huts, where those natives live I presume”

“Do you think they’ll smell it as it cooks?”

“Suppose, don’t know, don’t care – they’re not taking it off us, my children are hungry” Spike said matter-of-factly!

Soon the fire was blazing, and the pigs had been set on long sticks, and were roasting nicely – a delicious smell filled the air making everyone hungry.

********************

“Careful now baby, it’s hot!” Buffy put some meat pulled from the leg onto a banana leaf ‘plate’ they’d made while waiting for the meat to cook. Izzie tucked in regardless!

Everybody ate with relish – it was delicious!

“Hmm…not bad at all!” Sam patted his stomach

“I wonder what they meant, about us stealing their treasure?” Spike mused, building up the fire

“I don’t know…I wish we’d got our stuff…the towels and that” Buffy said toeing the ground

“Coz I don’t fancy lying down on the bare ground, too many creepy-crawlies!”

Creepy-crawlies obviously weren’t on Billy’s mind as he lay down on his stomach, studying the map.