My name is Buffy Anne Summers.

I'm just a girl who does her part in fighting against the evils of the night, the creatures that lurk when the sun goes down. I've taken on my share of demons, gods and vampires. I'm good at what I do.


"T-minus five minutes."

I'm a legend.

I'm the longest living Slayer in written history. Before it was blown up at the former Watcher's headquarters. Now there is a New Watcher's Headquarters. With new Watchers. And new Slayers.


"We're close to the mark Madam."

Oh yeah.

That.

No one calls me Buffy anymore except my friends when they come around. If ever. Since my blow up, they've kept their distance.


"Madam? The Slayers are ready."

It's always Madam, Sir, or General. And my least favorite---

"Slayer, we're ready to go."

Slayer. It was once just a title given to one girl in all the world. Now there are many across the globe. I'm not the only one anymore. So stop calling me Slayer. There was only one person in the whole world who was really allowed to call me that. But he's---

"--dead or nearly dead. The cult is fairly new, but it has followers coming in droves. They gather the newly dead and dying to use them in arcane rituals. The belief is that in doing so, will grant the casters great power by stealing the life energy of the bodies. In essence they steal souls."

"Our sources say that the cult has become more bold, grabbing more and more people, in broad daylight and even whole families to be used in this ritual tonight. But there is something else. Key members of the cult will be here for the ritual. With all the people they've gathered, it will equal in great power. Which is why we strike them hard and we strike them fast and wiping out the leadership of the cult and leave it weak to the point it can't recover."

I'm sorry Angel. For not believing in you. Willow's news about this man Gunn, opened my eyes to the truth of your operation in L.A. How you went out fighting against the Senior Partners and closed the gateway between them and us. I'm sorry I didn't trust you enough for you to come to us for help.

Buffy stood up as the helicopter slowed and hovered above a building's skylight. Below was the gathering of the newest cult that came, hoping to fill the void that was left behind after the Immortal's death. Over the last few weeks, there had been a rise in demons and cults and societies trying to take over. But the Slayers stood in their way.

This was the third operation in a week.

With the destruction of this cult, Buffy could take a break from slaying and get away with Dawn to someplace they didn't have to worry about demons or cults or hurtful memories of betrayals.

She hadn't spoke to Giles or Andrew in weeks since she learned of Spike's resurrection and his final fight against the Senior Partners alongside Angel and his team. Speaking of either was a taboo subject and no one brought it up which is how she liked it. For right now, she had a mission to complete.

She hooked her scythe to her back before hooking her line to the helicopter as five girls joined her. Chloe, and Rhonda were the familiar faces, having decided to stay in Rome with Buffy and Dawn as they trained new Slayers here.

Blonde, green eyed Jenna was from France and knew how to fight from her grandfather, a veteran of World War II. Melody, the newest face among the team was Italian and lived in Rome her whole life. This was her first mission. Bev was from the far North, namely Russia and never spoke unless she had too. She was hard to get used to but remained loyal.

"Ready girls." Buffy asked, looking at the Slayers around her before focusing her attention to the skylight right below her. She could see that the cult had already started gathering the people they planned on sacrificing in a circle in the middle of a symbol that was drawn the ground. Candles were lit around the room as the cult, robed in dark red with their faces covered under a hood start to chant with their arms raised to the sky without looking up.

"We're good to go."

"Proceed with the attack. Now."

Buffy jumped out of the helicopter with the other girls following after her.

===================

Buffy sat on the overturned statue of some demon god, looking bored as the clean up crew started---well cleaning up the mess the Slayers made during this mission. They helped the captured humans out of the building, talking to them and calming them down. More than a few had to be taken out on wheels, too hurt or traumatized to move by themselves. They would be rushed to the local hospital that knew about the Slayers. Later one of the witches would put a minor forgetting spell on the few who didn't want to remember what happened to them here,

The Slayers themselves were looking around the place with the few Watchers that joined them for the mission, lifting up heavy stones or knocking down walls to get to the hidden caches in the building. The Watchers were gathering all the artifacts and spells scattered around the building, to be studied or destroyed as the new Council saw fit.

The mission was a success.

They managed to stop the cult from stealing the souls for themselves and on a higher note, from raising the demon god Buffy was currently sitting on. The Watchers said that raising her would have been the start in a chain of events that would destroy the city and eventually the world--

"Buffy!"

"Well that's a first." Buffy muttered as she stood up and stretched as a trio of girls ran up to her. This was their first mission so they had the awe and disbelief on their faces of what they witnessed. "Yeah?"

"You have to come see this."

Buffy nodded and grabbed her scythe as she followed the trio to a underground catacomb. Rome had hundreds of thousands of them all over, it was like its own little city underneath a city. Since moving to Rome, she spent a lot time here, fighting and dealing with the various demons that made them their home.

"This way." one of the girl waved her after them as they ducked under a low hanging ceiling.

"What--" Buffy started asking before her question dropped off. "--are--we"

The girls kneeled around the body of a boy, no older than Dawn. He was incredibly pale and with his black hair, he looked even paler. He looked like he was naked but one of the girls decided to cover him with their jacket. He was laying on his stomach, both arms outstretched as if he was trying to escape by crawling before passing out. His wrists were bloody and raw as if he had something on them. As Buffy looked around her, she could see that he left a faint trace of blood on the ground. She walked forward to check him over but on the girls stopped her.

"He's hurt."

"Then call one of the cleaners to come pick him up."

"We can't."

"Why not?" Buffy demanded her hands on her hips as she glared at the young Slayers. "He could be dying and you're not helping by preventing him medical help."

The girls looked at each other before they lifted the jacket for Buffy to see.

He had a tail.

She bent down as another girl lifted up his hair to show her that he had cat ear hidden in his hair. They lifted his eyelids to show her that he had golden eyes.

"He's a demon."

"And we're supposed to kill demons."

"But when he found him, he was actually upstairs in chains with a bunch of guards watching him."

"When he fought them, they tried taking him away but he fought against them---"

"So they stabbed him."

"We lost track of him---"

"And found him here."

"We don't know what to do."

"So--can you help us?"

Buffy looked at the girls. They were so young, around 15 years old, who didn't understand why they saw nightmares in their dreams or why they were incredibly strong. They didn't know why they were asked to move away from home to learn about Slayers. They didn't know about demons until they faced their first one as a group. They were as frighten about this situation they found themselves in as they were when they first got the kill.

But unlike her, they had help to understand why. New Watchers, new rules and more girls they could meet who were just like them.

"I'll help." Buffy replied. "We'll take him back to HQ. He's hurt and he needs attention." She reached him and saw that he had a large nasty looking scar on his back, as if something stabbed him from behind.

"Are you sure?"

"Won't they want to kill him?"

"No. He'll be under my protection." Buffy said as he rolled him over to check on the wound. It didn't look to be deep, but all the mud and grime wasn't helping it either.

"Promise?"

"I promise." Buffy said as she picked up the boy, making sure that he was wrapped up in the coat before they started out of the catacombs.

===============

Off in a distance, someone stood hidden in the shadows as it watched Buffy and the young Slayers take away the boy it was sent to capture with through green eyes.

It hissed in displeasure as it melted further into the darkness. Its masters would not be pleased to know about this.