Chapter 2

Kitchen
Buffy walked into the kitchen and saw Spike facing the window.

Buffy: "Spike, I'm so sorry. You don't deserve this with everything else that's been going on". Spike didn't take his eyes from the window.

Spike: "Don't worry about it, pet. It's not like it's the first time I've been exposed to the heat from the men in your life."

Buffy: "Go on" she asked, intrigued by her ex's statement.

Spike: "Rupert, Wood, the Whelp, never met the likes of your father, but I'm sure he'd give it to me too".

Buffy: "Xander and Giles just want what's best for me"

Spike: "No, they want what they think is the best for you. Ain't that right, luv?" Buffy then got quite.

Spike: "I'm fine really. The only reason I came in here is because
it reminds me of when we used to sit on your there porch. We'd have ourselves a nice little chat when you were feeling blue. Remember?"

Buffy: "Of course I remember".

Spike: "It's about time you and Watcher Boy made up anyhoo. You may not want to admit it right now, but when he is around, he is very important in your life".

Buffy: "But your an important part of my life too and Giles doesn't have the right to talk to you that way. It's wrong. He's wrong. He doesn't know you like I do, none of them do" Buffy's voice trailed off. Spike then turned to her.

Spike: "You don't have to explain yourself, pet. I know you. I know the person you are and I love you. I know why you put up with all of them and why you don't tell them the truth". Buffy's eyes dropped to the floor. "Right then, I suppose I'll just be heading down to my dungeon. Drop a few blows into the punching sack and I'll be good as new by morning". With that he turned and opening the door to the basement. Just before he took his first step, Buffy stopped him.

Buffy: "Spike, wait." and he did. He stopped but kept his back towards her. "I never really got a chance to talk to you about last week".

Spike: "It had nothing to do with you. That's all I care about".

Buffy: "It's just that, when I realized what Giles was doing, I was so scared that you were hurt or that I lost you".

Spike: "I know the feeling. Although watching your body being lowered 6 feet under from a far off tree was a little more of a reality check". Buffy just ignored him and kept going.

Buffy: "I ran so fast I almost lost my balance" Buffy said almost smiling. "I don't think I was ever so terrifyed in my life except for when..." Buffy's voice started to get shakey. "What I'm trying to say is the thought of my losing you was one of the scariest moments of my life. I need you to know that I can't loose you".

Spike: "I understand everything you feel, Buffy. Because I feel it too. Soul or not, it's the only thing I've ever really felt. The only thing I've ever really feared. Good night, Buffy".

Buffy: "Good night Spike".