Chapter 3

Basement

Spike walked down the stairs leading into the basement only to be greeted by another voice.

Giles: "My, my Spike. That was quite a speech you just gave. Tell me, do you two love birds share those words much to the sound of a struggling poet often? "

Spike: "How did you get down here?"

Giles: "Now, now. let's not get ahead of ourselves, I asked first". Then Spike directed his attension to the door leading out which was wide open.

Spike: "What do you want. If I heard correctly, Buffy told you to see your way out".

Giles: "And if I heard correctly, you just told Buffy that it's about time me and her should...what was the phrase you used, 'made up'."

Spike: "Just because I don't want Buffy holding a grudge against you anymore doesn't mean that I have to. I don't have to do anything I don't want to as long as I'm here, Rupert".

Giles: "Yes, which brings me to my next question: Why are you here, Spike?"

Spike: "Because I don't have a place to live is all".

Giles: "No, not here as in this basement. Here here, as in Sunnydale and Buffy's life".

Spike: "For the fight".

Giles: "That answers the part about Sunnydale, but what about Buffy's life?"

Spike: "She told me. She told me she wasn't ready for me to not be here".

Giles: "And like a loyal, love-sick puppy, your staying by her side. If you really loved her, you would leave her. You would let her move on from any twisted feelings she thinks she has for you. Angel knew that much and he left, he really loved her".

Spike: "But when Nancy-Boy left, if you recall Rupert, it was post-apacalypse. Not right before the fight of a lifetime. Or at least that's what Dawny told me once".

Giles: "Speaking of Dawn, tell me, when was the last time you two had a real chat, from one beating heart to one not".

Spike: "What are you getting at?" He said begining to become frusterated.

Giles: "Well, it's just that you and Dawn, got along real great until some minor incident Xander told me about. I can't remember it too well, let's see what was it? Oh yeah, you trying to rape her sister-" With that Spike grabbed Giles and pushed him up against the cold wall by the collar. Spike began getting teary eyed in the process.

Spike: "I don't know about you, Watcher Boy, but I'm having a small case of de ju vo. Except last time, the circumstances where slightly different. You've had your share of talking then and tonight and now it's my turn. I am not you friend. You told me there was no way to Buffy, well, I recon I found it. I get that you can't handle that. I get that you care about Buffy like a daughter and that's why you left after she died. I recon I'd done the same thing if I didn't have the little bit to take care of. Do you wanna know the thing I don't get and what makes me feel sick? How after she came back, you left her...again. How could you have left her? How?" tears were streaming down his face by now, but he kept going. "Buffy needed you and you left her. She may have forgiven you by now, but I will never. Cause I was here, you see, I was here the whole time. I saw her slowly slip, and I did my best at the time to help her back up. I gave her love. Given, it wasn't the best way, but somehow it was there and she felt it. She still does too. Cause she told me and cause I feel it. I feel it everytime she looks at me. Oh, and Rupert, one more thing: you wanna rip us apart, but deep down, you know you can't, so do yourself a favor and move the hell on".
With that he let go of Giles, grabbed his coat and walked out of the door and slammed the door behind him. From inside all Giles could hear was the engine of a motorcyle starting up and then fading away. The camera focused in on Giles as he said:

Giles: "Good boy".