Surprises

“ANNE!” Unfamiliar with the new name she had given herself even after a few months, Buffy kept walking down the lonely sidewalk.


“ANNE!” Peace was all she wanted, just a moment when she wasn’t forced to think about her first true love. The one she had to kill just seventy-one days ago, that moment was yet to come.


“BUFFY!” The name broke through her closed mind for just long enough to remind her that she had once answered to it, which brought on more Angel thoughts.


“Buffy, what…”


“Just close your eyes” The memory brought her back to the girl that was now talking to her about something like a rave or a party, like they were friends. The one thing she had been trying to avoid the entire summer, closeness. Being alone meant that she couldn’t be reminded of what she used to have. A mother, a watcher that was like a father, friends, and Angel…She needed to get rid of this girl.


“I didn’t mean it like that, I just thought that we could go somewhere.” The homeless girl had asked for money, Buffy knew she would, people always want something from you.


“I just really want to be alone right now, but if you need money I can...” Buffy hoped this would end their little meeting.


“No! I mean…Forget it…Umm its okay, really!” The girl tried to redeem herself, while the ex-slayer found this very tiring. As if on cue, a grubby looking homeless man pushed his way through the two young women, and wandered onto the curb.


“Hey! That was rude! We were having a conversation here!” Lily snapped at the dazed looking man. Buffy, however, noticed that something was off.


“Are you okay?” She inquired, trying to get his attention, which was now focused on the other side of the road.


“I am nobody…” He mumbled as he stumbled his way to the middle of the road, right in front of oncoming traffic! Feeling the slayer fight its way to the surface, Buffy raced across the road and pushed the man out of the way. Time stopped as she felt herself being lifted upward, over the roof of the car and slamming back down to the pavement. Feeling nothing more than a powerful thumping in her skull, she pushed herself upward to face the confused and worried faces of strangers.


“Are you okay Buffy?” Lily asked frantically. The driver jumped out of his car and started to panic
“Don’t move her! You shouldn’t be standing; lie down and we’ll call an ambulance. Somebody call an ambulance!”


“I’m fine.” Buffy tried to tell them as she stumbled away from the scene of the accident. She just wanted to be alone. All of this attention and worry was making her feel…no she would not thing about him, she would not! Tears of mourning spilled down her face as she started to run around the nearest corner. She noticed some guy that looked like he should be selling watchtower booklets trying to convince some streetwalker that she should join him in some kind of home.


Glad I didn’t run into that mental case! Jeez that’s all I need, some guy telling me to join in the community! Besides, he’s probably just some evil manipulating demon, knowing LA. Buffy hadn’t run far down another deserted alleyway when she crashed into a very muscled yet compact figure. The familiar smell of cigarettes and leather filled her senses.


“Slayer!” He sounded just as surprised to see her, as she was to see him. Buffy took a step back to assess her situation. She knew that she could win if Spike decided to try for his third slayer, but she also didn’t know what grounds they were on after the truce…Don’t think Angel, don’t think Angel, don’t think Angel.


“Fancy meeting you here, away from all the comforts of home…” With that he leered at her in a way completely owned by the vampire himself. Was he this alluring 3 months ago? A beat. Neither spoke for what seemed like eternity, when it was in reality only five seconds. Of course, Spike was the one to break it.


“Speaking of egotistical poofters, what became of your precious Angelus? I assume he’s failed his master plan in destroying the world…with it being here, and all that” The wall that had been all but forgotten with the presence of old faces was thrown back up again with the mention of Angel.

“I hate you…”
“And I’m all you’ve got”


“Stay away from me Spike.” Dismissal seemed like the easiest option for the broken little girl inside the strong slayer exterior. But this vampire was not one that was so easily dismissed.


“So that’s how it is then? Peaches sure does leave a good impression when he’s gone, I gotta’ give him that. Not even up for a good rough and tumble slayer?” Buffy had started to walk away when she felt her blood boil. Anger made her turn back to the cocky slayer of slayers to defend the past that she kept so close to her heart.


“You don’t know shit! If it’s a fight you want, you’ll get one, but leave Angel out of this!” She edged closer to platinum blond to look threatening. To get him to leave. To stop the flooding memories…The slayer was fighting back the tears that threatened to spill for the second time tonight. She would not embarrass herself in front of Spike. He would mock, laugh, and certainly not understand.

If only Willow was here, id have someone to talk to…but I left them all behind. All I have of the past is…Spike.


Spike’s grin fell from his face, at what Buffy thought to be mock concern. Something else though, was tugging at her, nagging inside her self-conscience.

Is he serious? No way does he care about anyone but himself!


“Be seeing you round, Slayer.” He made to put back on his face of menacing evil, but it didn’t look quite the same. His eyes told a different story, than his actions.

As usual, another guy is being shifty and inconclusive. Just another day in the life of Buffy Summers…


“Looking forward to it” Buffy scoffed with a weird feeling in her stomach.

Is this what it feels like to…anticipate? Is that what I’m feeling?


“Bet you are, pet” Was the last thing he said before vanishing above the rooftop of the nearest building.


Damn him! Why does he get to always have the last word?

In an attempt to brush the hair out of her eyes she felt something watery running down her cheeks.


“Great! Just great! A perfect end to a perfect day! Not only does he deny letting me get out my aggressions, but he also saw me blubbering like a big baby!”

The more Buffy thought about the encounter, the more she was confused about Spike’s actions.

He left when he saw I was in pain. When did he get a conscience?